Staff Jobs @ Pentagon w/ Attached Flying

Bode

My wife was recently offered a job at the pentagon and isn’t sure about taking it. Her hesitation is she doesn’t want me to stop flying. So, with a C17, T6 and C208 background and a few bases In the area what’s the possibility of flying attached to one of those units while working the the HAF?

I know I’m probably going to get laughed out of the park on this one since flying staff job are a dying breed. However I️ have to ask and am looking for people that have good intel before we make a decision. Any info would be appreciated. If I’m missing something let me know.

12 hours ago, Lstcause257 said:

I’ve looked into that however I have to wait for the next board cycle to be posted.

I actually just received an automatic email from MyPers today soliciting 89 AW applicants with an 8 Dec suspense.

• Upvote 1

If you can get a flying job, great but flying staff is not as good as it sounds. Lots of time out of the office required for non-flying currency items in addition to flying. At some point you realize that while the flying might be fun, the guy asking where you are when you are out flying is writing your OPR and PRF.

Even if you did find a job that allowed you to do some flying I'd fully expect the bait and switch. They have no spare manning on staff to let you go fly. Everyone else there would be bitter seeing you go on a "vacation" outside the office all the time. They want your ass at the bottom of the boat rowing like a good staff officer.

BWI goes junior at SWA.  IAD is fairly junior at UAL, with EWR an easy commute.  Same at AA, only PHL is closer if you can’t hold DCA.  Driving up to NYC is doable at DAL... and FedEx is arguably the most commuter-friendly airline of all, I’m sure you could make it work.

All of those options are way better than active duty.  Get an IMA job at the pentagon and get a retirement on the side.  Unless you signed a bonus... whoops...

• Like 1

BWI goes junior at SWA.  IAD is fairly junior at UAL, with EWR an easy commute.  Same at AA, only PHL is closer if you can’t hold DCA.  Driving up to NYC is doable at DAL... and FedEx is arguably the most commuter-friendly airline of all, I’m sure you could make it work.
All of those options are way better than active duty.  Get an IMA job at the pentagon and get a retirement on the side.  Unless you signed a bonus... whoops...

I’m still rocking my initial commitment. And the big AF hasn’t given me much reason to jump ship. I enjoy what I do and why I do it...

34 minutes ago, Lstcause257 said:

I’m still rocking my initial commitment. And the big AF hasn’t given me much reason to jump ship. I enjoy what I do and why I do it...

It's good to hear that you've been happy so far.  Let's see how you're doing after the staff tour! haha