Texas Church Shooting

ClearedHot

So the douche was an ex-USAF type who was Court Martialed and discharged.  Of course he was using an AR-15...let the politicization begin. 

For those with CCWs how often are you carrying?  I am to the point I feel naked without mine, even at my son's soccer practice.

9 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

So the douche was an ex-USAF type who was Court Martialed and discharged.  Of course he was using an AR-15...let the politicization begin. 

For those with CCWs how often are you carrying?  I am to the point I feel naked without mine, even at my son's soccer practice.

Just got mine in Texas.  I try to carry everywhere- yet there are many places where it is not allowed despite my county’s “open carry” policy.  Of course, these very places are crowded/vulnerable where a mass shooting would likely occur (a church for example.)

Witnesses are saying the shooter was ultimately stopped by a citizen with a rifle. Still trying to find whether that is true.

I don’t leave home without my carry weapon. Only exception is if I am going somewhere that has a metal detector or I know I am getting checked. I made the choice a long time ago signs/retarded rules are not going to get me killed. I would rather deal with concealing a firearm illegally/against a establishments rules and saving my family than watching my family be killed. Each to their own, it’s a personal choice, and I know the potential consequences. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

I fail to see in this thread, to this point, where anyone suggested doing anything.

The question was asked "Do you carry regularly?"

To which several of us answered.

Until receiving the cease and desist order

Which I apologize for by not placing on my calendar to care when someone else tells me what I should or should not do or say.

3 hours ago, Justonethought said:

You guys and gals are already in a pissing contest about ccws and weapons.  Let the dust settle, and then let's attack in force.  Until then let's stay quiet a bit.

There is no pissing contest. Someone asked how often we carry, some of us responded, no one was/is arguing about anything. 

• Like 1

So a guy walks in with full tactical getup, an AR on a sling with grips, optics, and hundreds of rounds of 5.56 in 40 round pmags, and I've got 7 rounds of 9mm in a compact frame CCW. Fantastic.

One round, properly placed, can make all the difference.
  • Like 1

Be wary, this is most likely meddling from a foreign power. Saudi Arabia claims the Houthis launched a missile at Riyadh, then begin executing Stalinesque purges on the SAME WEEKEND the paradise papers are coming out. This mass shooting was most likely timed to distract from the Saudi coup and the baggage of the rich and powerful that will soon be revealed to all. The Japanese PM has been looking a little tired lately...

Basically we are going to be shotgun blasted by the MSM on more irrelevant stories like men who are paid millions to chase a ball kneeling during the anthem while the elites once again get away with murder. Don't believe me? Tell me THIS was an accident:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-middle-east-41881058

1 hour ago, gearpig said:

I have a CCW. When I carry, I prefer the Ruger LC9S but I also have an XDS45 and a S&W 38 Airweight and a North American 22M. I've tried nearly every type of holster. They are all a pain in the ass. After about 10-15 minutes, i usually end up pulling it out of my waistband and tossing it in the truck console or door pocket. The only one I don't mind quite as much is the North American 22mag that I don't notice as much in a thigh pocket, but it's a joke.

The only time I deem it worth the discomfort is when I am with family and I plan on going to a location where there is likely to be a higher than normal threat. But then again, why would I go to those places?

And why would an event like this make a person consider conceal carrying more regularly? 

So a guy walks in with full tactical getup, an AR on a sling with grips, optics, and hundreds of rounds of 5.56 in 40 round pmags, and I've got 7 rounds of 9mm in a compact frame CCW. Fantastic.

I'd recommend attending a Dave Grossman seminar.  He directly addresses each of your questions, specifically regarding churches.

1 hour ago, gearpig said:

I have a CCW. When I carry, I prefer the Ruger LC9S but I also have an XDS45 and a S&W 38 Airweight and a North American 22M. I've tried nearly every type of holster. They are all a pain in the ass. After about 10-15 minutes, i usually end up pulling it out of my waistband and tossing it in the truck console or door pocket. The only one I don't mind quite as much is the North American 22mag that I don't notice as much in a thigh pocket, but it's a joke.

The only time I deem it worth the discomfort is when I am with family and I plan on going to a location where there is likely to be a higher than normal threat. But then again, why would I go to those places?

And why would an event like this make a person consider conceal carrying more regularly? 

When I carry I prefer the M&P 9 with a Sticky Holster, but like you after 15-20 minutes in the car It bugs me so I put in the gap between the seat and the center console, stick up just enough to be a fast grab but easily concealed by my legs.

I have no illusions about stopping a shooter in one of these situations but if there is merit to brief suppression in order to allo my family to escape, regardless it is better than fighting back with a chair or dying like a sheep.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ned1 said:

Be wary, this is most likely meddling from a foreign power. Saudi Arabia claims the Houthis launched a missile at Riyadh, then begin executing Stalinesque purges on the SAME WEEKEND the paradise papers are coming out. This mass shooting was most likely timed to distract from the Saudi coup and the baggage of the rich and powerful that will soon be revealed to all. The Japanese PM has been looking a little tired lately...

Basically we are going to be shotgun blasted by the MSM on more irrelevant stories like men who are paid millions to chase a ball kneeling during the anthem while the elites once again get away with murder. Don't believe me? Tell me THIS was an accident:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-middle-east-41881058

...the hell?

I agree with the pain of CCW. I have a 6 rd pocket .380 with Critical Defense FTX rounds that I literally just throw in my pocket. I also put a crimson trace laser on. I just hope that if something did happen, it would be me and 6 other people shooting back, otherwise my 6 rounds ain’t gonna do $hit.

37 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

When I carry I prefer the M&P 9 with a Sticky Holster, but like you after 15-20 minutes in the car It bugs me so I put in the gap between the seat and the center console, stick up just enough to be a fast grab but easily concealed by my legs.

I have no illusions about stopping a shooter in one of these situations but if there is merit to brief suppression in order to allo my family to escape, regardless it is better than fighting back with a chair or dying like a sheep.

I appendix carry which is comfortable to me except when driving.  Then I transfer my XDS to a TexasCustomHolster mounted in each car.  If you are handy with a drill, you can mount it yourself (sts).  If not, a car upholstery shop can do it in less than an hour.

My choice is based on the odds.  Most events involve 2-3 rounds fired at less than 3 yards according to an (FBI?) report I read a while back.  If it's a firefight, then I'm most likely to have a bad day, but as noted, perhaps I can buy time for the family to escape.  Reports from a recent Colorado Wal-Mart shooting showed several CCW carriers pulling, but not engaging since they weren't around the shooter.  They got out.

This church-shooting scum ran when first engaged.  The guys on the French train that confronted the guy with an AK and beat him.  So it's not always completely hopeless

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gearpig said:

I saw his "BulletProof Mind" lecture at Scott a few years ago. Fantastic. I have On Killing and On Combat. I don't remember anything about churches, but I do remember him breaking down the psychological and physiological realities of a gunfight that most people don't realize happen. I know I'm in the minority here on this and feel free to disagree, but considering everything in his lecture and books and me doing everything correctly, I'm still not satisfied with the odds of going up against a determined killer with a high powered, high capacity, high rate of fire rifle. To lesson the odds of having to even be in a situation like that, I would prefer a person like him and a weapon like that aren't as easily acquainted.

I hear what you are saying and I get it, your points are very valid.  My first time in real combat was an eye opener, the adrenaline was flowing, things happened fast and with extreme violence, I immediately fell back on training and it saved my life.  Most people have no concept how psychological and physiological impacts will shape a fight.  In the end, I do not intend to "go up against a determined killer," I sole intent is to protect my family and if I can generate some space and time, even if it is minimal, it may make the difference. 

To your last comment, I would like to see the facts, if there was no mental illness or other mitigating factor how do we as a society propose to stop this without taking away weapons?  Question for another day. 

Prayers to the victims.

• Like 2

Glock 19 with a CYA holster, extra mag in the pocket. Glock 43 if I’m wearing something more form fitting. I was carrying a key tec sub 2000 in my truck with two 30 round mags as well, I’ve gone back in forth on doing this though. If I really need it I don’t want to take the time to unlock it, but I also don’t want to leave a firearm just chilling in my truck. Having both those guns with the same mags is a sweet option if you find yourself in a pickle, 90 rounds can buy some time. 

6 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

So it was just reported he was denied a Texas CCW (presumably because he was dishonorably discharged from the USAF) and he had a domestic violence conviction.

Yep.  Really wondering if/how he got around the Lautenburg rule.

Duly noted and disregarded, Alex Jones.
Yes, ignore my predictions, and then be blindsided when they come true. This will be a very interesting week. Prepare yourselves or be inundated by the tide of history. The Saudi hardliners have big plans in store for the middle east.
  • Downvote 5