Should I test again?

Hello all,

Got all my scores back today.  Pretty disappointed. Probably going to re-take both AFOQT/TBAS again. My plan was to apply to both reserve units and ANG units. 

GPA: 2.66 in Marketing 

AFOQT pilot: 59

PCSM: 63 with 81 hours. Score estimated to be 67 if I can get to 100 flight hours. 

Recommendations:

F15 pilot with confirmed MIG kill who can speak to my airmanship 

Ret. AF General who can speak to my work ethic

Sr. Flight Instructor/owner who can speak to my airmanship/work ethic (I work at the flight school)

I know for a fact I can get a better pilot score on the AFOQT. I'm trying to decide if I should just re-take it again in January or apply in the spring and see if I can get at least an interview before re-taking. 

Any insight would be tremendously appreciated. 

Best 

• Downvote 1

Saw recently that the 2016 averages for AFOQT score from AFRC boards were: 

Pilot - 91 Navigator - 76 Academic - 69 Quantitative - 63

I think with some studying you could move yourself into that ballpark if you really applied yourself.  It's a standardized test - there are strategies and methods that will help you succeed.  Work on your weakest areas and put a lot of time into mastering the pilot and academic sections if you can.  There are tons of free and otherwise cheap resources out there.  Practice a bunch and figure out how you can do your best, efficiently with the time limits.  

In the time since I took the TBAS in 2015 (and signed the non-disclosure paperwork about the test content...) I've seen some flashcards have emerged online that can help you get better at certain parts of the test.  Not bashing anybody's integrity, but smoke em if you got em I guess.  Read more about how the multi-tasking portion is scored and stuff.  I retook the TBAS once, and I found that just taking it a second time helped tremendously.  My PCSM went from like a 73 to an 89.

Edited by extender10
  • Upvote 1

Thanks very much everyone.

@extender10 I will definitely re-take the AFOQT this January when my 6 months is up.  I know I can do better on that exam - for a fact.

I will also definitely hit 100hrs by January too which will boost my PCSM by an estimated 4 points.  Hoping to get my PCSM to at least an 80 with flight time / pilot score.  I'll have to wait until next May to re-take the TBAS.

• Downvote 1