APZ active duty, IPZ reserve?

Searched, couldn't find an answer. I was twice deferred on active duty. Got out. Found an IMA position. I'm about to meet my first reserve board and I'm not sure if I'm considered IPZ or APZ. In practice, the only real difference is DOR, but I'm curious.  As an IMA, my CSS is active duty, so they aren't too experienced with reservists and the AFI doesn't distinguish. Does anybody know if I'm considered APZ or IPZ for the (mandatory, not PV) board? Thanks. 

Searched, couldn't find an answer. I was twice deferred on active duty. Got out. Found an IMA position. I'm about to meet my first reserve board and I'm not sure if I'm considered IPZ or APZ. In practice, the only real difference is DOR, but I'm curious.  As an IMA, my CSS is active duty, so they aren't too experienced with reservists and the AFI doesn't distinguish. Does anybody know if I'm considered APZ or IPZ for the (mandatory, not PV) board? Thanks. 

Honestly I think that field is left blank for reservists. There really isn’t any such thing as “above the zone”. If you don’t make it, you’ll go up again the following year without any “above the zone” stigma. Did you look at the reg to see if it explains it? Not sure off the top of my brain if it addresses it. Also, should be no limit on Definitely Promotes like RegAF boards have.

I guess I could clarify. Table 5.2 in 36-2504  OFFICER PROMOTION, CONTINUATION AND SELECTIVE EARLY REMOVAL IN THE RESERVE OF THE AIR FORCE discusses date of rank and it's different for APZ vs IPZ. Is it correct to say that if you haven't been passed over in the reserve, you are IPZ regardless of AD deferrals?

Been in the ANG for almost 26 yrs and we have never used the terms IPZ or APZ, at least not in our OG.  Position Vacancy is used for an “early” promo. Other than that, it’s typically when a promo packet is put up or you meet ROPMA.  Each unit handles their promo timelines differently. We have hired many folks off AD (from USAF, USN, USMC) that had been selected for next rank, but hadn’t pinned, that ended up having to wait to get promoted. Leadership has to think about Force mgmt-how you fit into unit rank structure, how it affects other folks, how long you plan on staying in the ANG. It is very different than AD and there are only so many positions. 

• Like 1

Found a direct number to ARPC. Here's the deal, RASL and ADL promotions fall under different subsections of Title 10. Even if you were twice considered on AD, you haven't been considered under the Reserve section, so you are not considered to be deferred on those boards. As others have said, the terms I/A/BPZ aren't used, but for all intents and purposes, PV is IPZ and mandatory boards are I/APZ. Non-selection on a PV board doesn't count as a deferral, but twice deferred on a mandatory board will drive separation or continuation as the case may be. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2017 at 7:39 PM, matmacwc said:

I know dudes passed over for LtCol in the ANG, but that was years ago.  Lately, I've seen a few make it without ASCS or a masters, go figure.

Does your leadership place an emphasis on a masters?  Aside from the former AD guys in our squadron and the few guys who legitimately got one for their civilian jobs, none of our guys have a masters.  I've never even heard of it as a consideration for our promotion.  However, I have been guest help at a few other squadrons where getting a masters was considered a "non-requirement," requirement.  One of those states actually paid for these guys to get a masters, which was a pretty good deal.

What I don't understand is the states that essentially force everyone to ROPMA for their Major board.  I know of two states that do this and the only reason I've ever heard is that it's a control grade issue...which is pretty much bullshit.  Lt Col has control grade issues but we're all in Major billets, so the spots are there.   I have been a major for over 2 years and there are peeps from my AMS class that are just now getting promoted.  For the life of me, I can not imagine why leadership, especially in todays environment, would hold their guys back from promotion.