Fam Flight Program for Rated (but unqualled) guys

Howdy. Both myself and a colleague at my unit finished UPT this past summer. Like many other MDS' our schoolhouse is extremely backed up and as a result (partially due to poor planning from the wing) we are facing a significant delay before we go to our B course. In my case it will be 9 months total of downtime (no flying) between UPT grad and going to IQT.

I'd like to sell the idea of a fam ride program at my unit since the problem doesn't just affect me. Like I mentioned I have a colleague in the same boat and we have several new hires in the pipeline right now that will likely be in the same situation or worse. My thought was having some sort of structured fam ride progression that allows for periodic flying to keep guys like us entrenched in the USAF flying world...could be a way to keep our hands a little warmer and our brains a little sharper when we show up to school. Obviously it's on us to stay in the books but I think a case can be made that there's value in doing ground runs, going on the occasional contact ride, etc to bridge the gap on what would otherwise be almost a year of cold hands (or potentially longer for some folks).

So far beyond the MDS vol1 and vol3 guidance the only other relevant literature I have found is in 11-401. In particular the 401 ANG SUP (attachment 5) has a ton of language on doing just this sort of thing. However, I'd like to hear from other guard dudes to see if it has been applied in such a context. A few questions....

1) Is there anyone out there who has seen or run a program like this at their unit that I could talk to?

2) Can anyone recommend any other regs that might be permissive to such an idea without doing SMT waivers or sending paperwork up to NGB?

3) Any other ideas???

Thanks.

Continue flying whatever aircraft you just finished flying at UPT. Find empty pits on the schedule and go talk to the IP and see if he/she is cool with you tagging along.

If you're a fighter dude then go sand bag rides at an IFF squadron. It was no problem to do a few years back when I went through at SPS, can't imagine it being an issue at any other base.

Unable. I’m guard so we come off orders after UPT and they PCS us back home. My last aircraft was a Huey which my unit has none of. 

As of right now I am just a civilian with about six more months before I go back on orders. My colleague is an airline pilot (hired right out of UPT) so he has some way to keep his Air sense but I don’t have that luxury. 

Edited by SPAWNmaster

8 minutes ago, SPAWNmaster said:

Unable. I’m guard so we come off orders after UPT and they PCS us back home. My last aircraft was a Huey which my unit has none of. 

As of right now I am just a civilian with about six more months before I go back on orders. My colleague is an airline pilot (hired right out of UPT) so he has some way to keep his Air sense but I don’t have that luxury. 

Just out of curiosity...what are you doing in the mean time? Just showing up to drill once a month?

12 hours ago, GDAL said:

Just out of curiosity...what are you doing in the mean time? Just showing up to drill once a month?

More or less. They are trying to figure out how to put me on orders but the only option we are getting from NGB is to submit an ETP and rob from my MEST days (for MQT) which would make for a short seasoning. It just sucks because I have a wife and kid and my civilian job is seasonal (worst timing for all this unfortunately). Just trying to stay useful at the unit and use drill days until we can figure something out.

2 hours ago, SPAWNmaster said:

More or less. They are trying to figure out how to put me on orders but the only option we are getting from NGB is to submit an ETP and rob from my MEST days (for MQT) which would make for a short seasoning. It just sucks because I have a wife and kid and my civilian job is seasonal (worst timing for all this unfortunately). Just trying to stay useful at the unit and use drill days until we can figure something out.

Not exactly ideal, but shouldn't you be able to mil-comp your CPL and go tow banners or something along those lines?

35 minutes ago, sforron said:

Not exactly ideal, but shouldn't you be able to mil-comp your CPL and go tow banners or something along those lines?

I have the milcomp but like my own civilian business everything in the northeast is seasonal and shutdown. 

11 hours ago, SPAWNmaster said:

I hope everything comes together very soon for you and your family.

On 10/25/2017 at 7:39 PM, LookieRookie said:

The 11-401 allows SQ/CC's to put people unqualified aircrew onto flights as crew as necessary or what have you.

AETC wrote a white paper on it when they got rid of Instructor Enrichment Program. PM me and I'll look to see if I can find out 

PM sent! Thanks