Security Clearance with immigrant spouse.

Mvill788

Question

Hey guys, a civilian here just a asking a question regarding security clearances. I would like to join an ANG unit but I have some concerns regarding the security clearance process. I married my wife who is from Ukraine about 3 years ago. We started the process right away for naturalization and residency, and we are almost at the end of the process. The question is should we wait until she is a permanent resident, until she's a citizen, or is it completely out of the question?

Thanks

Edited by Mvill788

2 answers to this question

I wouldn't wait to apply based on your wife's residency/citizenship status. 

The SF86 questions concerning foreign-born spouses are pretty straightforward, but pay particular attention to the one in section 17.1 that asks 'For your foreign born spouse, provide one type of documentation that he or she possesses and the document number.'   If none of those apply, then simply ask the security manager how to answer.

Also pay particular attention to sections 20A - Foreign Activities, 20B - Foreign Business, Professional Activities, and Foreign Government Contacts and 20C - Foreign Travel where applicable.

Good luck!  M2

• Like 1