1,000 Retired Pilots Can Be Recalled to Active Duty

LookieRookie

On November 11, 2017 at 12:47 AM, Learjetter said:

I still peruse the forum but rarely post. Mostly because I'm a dinosaur and understand no one really wants to read my opinion on the topic of the day. Also cuz i read the forum on a phone and posting on a phone is a bitch for me.

I've posted advice and sarcastic snarky quips and occasionally PMd with some of you young'uns. Occassionally, Ive posted something someone found controversial, which can be fun, and sometimes reading the threads challenges my own perceptions and beliefs. But in reality, I retired in 2015 and the USAF of 2017 is one I barely recognize -- my opinion is probably less valid as anyone currently serving. Reading through a thread if i see a post i agree with, then theres no sense in my "piggybacking" or "piling on".. I have no idea if I've ever met CH or Liquid or Chang or any of the other senior members. But I served with only 1 toxic leader in my career. I mustve been lucky...or I spread my own share of toxicity. Either way, im not qualified to address it..or many of the other issues on the board.

I was a ROTC-recat: non-rated officer, then went to SUPT. IP/EP in Lears, KC-10s, and Hercs thru crossflow. Took the big 20YAS bonus the first day I was eligible. Ended up on staff and retired when it was clear I wasn't returning to fly or being considered for command.

I think Fingers is actually trying to address the combat readiness of the force. To that end, I did what I could in my little sphere of influence. I encourage you do the same.

Unfortunately, I think xaarman might be right...feet on the ramp is very effective at getting folks to show their cards early--therefore making the management of the red and blue lines easier to predict. And Im sure theyre looking at it as an option. Hope they dont choose it.

It's funny how quickly you become irrelevant after you get out.  I've been out 3 years now, and quit coming on here because I realized how quickly my world and this one diverged.  

What brought me back was this discussion.  I know the official word is that the AF isn't planning to make anyone come back off retirement, but I've heard different rumors.  Is there any insight into the probability of getting called back?  As a TERA retiree at 15.5, I haven't even hit 20 since commissioning yet...

Edited by zrooster99

17 minutes ago, Guardian said:

Would love if you could share how you got TERA

Easy!  I got passed over twice for O5, and the second time just happened to be 2014.  Not really option A, but it worked out in the end.

As HU&W indicated, it was more about timing.  I think I was assisted in my outward movement by one of those toxic leaders CH referred to.  His nickname, at one time anyway, was "The Knife"...

Edited by zrooster99

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 10:14 AM, Weezer said:

Problem solved on the pilot shortage.

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 4:13 PM, Swizzle said:

...perhaps via Post 9/11 benefits...all to more easily fund, grow, and build accredited flying academies nationwide....

Very recently I understand that the VA is trying to  limit the number of GI Bill students at any one school. i.e. School A you can have a maximum of 35 percent of your students VA funded. I don't remember the exact percentage but it was something like that. Post 9/11 GI Bill is much easier to use for flight training than the older programs too. Interesting to see if Trump and congress will ultimately have some other plan in place over and above the GI Bill.

On 10/21/2017 at 10:36 AM, Crosswind said:

Guys remember that Air Force vs Airlines meeting in May?  We never knew what the results were, but good news, here's the manuscript, swear to god, a buddy gave it to me, this is VERBATIM (maybe a few spelling errors). 

Fingers: "Lets find a way to increase the ATP requirements so you stop stealing my pilots, I think we can work together on this. I force my pilots to stay because they have nowhere to go, and you don't get military pilots anymore. It's a win win."

American Airlines: "I'm losing 3000 pilots in 4 years, I'm going to offer your pilots double pay, a better retirement, and no SAPR briefings"

Delta: "Pound sand. Change USSERA rules and stop letting your Guard guys screw us over and maybe, maybe we'll talk. Also we have 17% 401k AUTOMATIC contribution vs your Blended Retirement System."

United: "So you want us to give up the solution to our problems, and what do we get back. An IOU?"

Southwest: "Bags check free!"

Fingers:"It's going to be like that. Okay. I got something for you guys. We'll have this talk again in 6-9 months."

-------

2 Weeks later Fingers meets with Trump . . .

Who is Fingers in this conversation?

Kobayashi Maru  for the Air Force.  Yep going Star Trek nerd. I somewhat touched on this a while back but I think that circumstances make it more likely sooner rather than later. Government in general and Air Force in particular support an all in new program to train more pilots (Forces to Flyers) to alleviate the pilot shortage in commercial aviation and help retain experienced pilots in the military. I think most agree that the next 10 years will be the front of the airline hiring wave. On one hand you want to push through as many as possible as quickly as possible to alleviate the shortage and relieve the pressure. Now say I'm a young aspiring pilot my dilemma is this. Do I join the military to become a pilot with a minimum 10 year commitment before I can get a chance to get an airline seniority number and miss the best part of the hiring wave or do I use the other program that say maybe takes after 4 years in the military and 2 years training to get to the same point? I know there will always be some who wanted to fly for the military but will this affect the overall numbers coming in the front end in an effort to mitigate the outflow on the backend STS? Is my logic sound or flawed?

Edited by fire4effect
Grammur

• 4 weeks later...

So, how did Fingers get an MBA from Oklahoma in 1987 when he was stationed at Sheppard AFB in TX?

Edit: Nevermind, probably satellite campus which he did painstakingly outside duty hour...one small part of the massive disconnect with the reality that is today.

So, how did Fingers get an MBA from Oklahoma in 1987 when he was stationed at Sheppard AFB in TX?

Edit: Nevermind, probably satellite campus which he did painstakingly outside duty hour...one small part of the massive disconnect with the reality that is today.

Wtf are you talking about?

22 hours ago, HossHarris said:

You want to go back?

There are a couple jobs I’d do. (Literally “a couple”) I’m wondering if I’d have more leverage with this program than attempting to vlpad into it. (I’m over 20 agr with no bonus or commitments whatsoever)

• 4 months later...

It appears the pilot crisis has gotten to the point that AFPC has decided to open up the rules and allow some pilots to return to fly jets again.  

As of yesterday:

http://www.afpc.af.mil/Retirement/VRRAD/

I made a few calls... they are ready for applications, though they said it would take 4-6 months to get back in.  

Interesting to consider, but a significant pay cut. 

Going back to Beale would amount to $151,000 annually, if I did the mental calculations right.  

Edited by HuggyU2

38 minutes ago, icohftb said:

If you factor in the pension that you no longer receives... isnt that like working for 100k per year? And you can't take a bonus?

No, it's like working for $151,000 a year, not factoring in some minimal tax-free benefits.  

Correct:  no bonus.  

Returning would be a big financial hit for many pilots who are eligible.  

Edited by HuggyU2