1,000 Retired Pilots Can Be Recalled to Active Duty

LookieRookie

1 hour ago, 1111 said:

Aren’t we suppose to be in the business of developing rounded individuals who can equally be the next leaders of our organization or the next guy telling us the weather when we land in ATL?

No, we're supposed to be in the business of killing people and breaking their shit.  If the AF (and the nation) hadn't lost that focus years ago, they wouldn't have to worry about WTF D, U, A, S, F, and U are doing.  Too bad Blue is more worried about breastfeeding in uniform, fun runs, Asian Islander month, training the untrainable, and zebra stripe dot.

Edited by nunya
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, BashiChuni said:

i don't know liquid either...

that being said "good dude" != good leader.

if a guy is giving N/N checkrides out to pilots talking about airlines he's a fucking cocksucker  and should have his Q code pulled.

Excellent Deadwood usage.

Swearengen.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, flyusaf83 said:

I’m not saying you’re wrong about Liquid because I don’t know him, but the attitude he showed with those posts was the same kind of toxic BS that is driving people out in droves.  Maybe he is a “good dude”, but I sure wouldn’t want him as my boss.  There are a lot of “good dudes” that the AF absolutely ruins by convincing them to do what it takes to be part of the management club.  That’s when they stop living in reality and say and do shit that drives us crazy (N/N checkrides for talking about airlines).  I hear the crap that leaders say, and I just say to myself that I will never be able to do that with a straight face.  But these “good dudes” sold their souls to the devil and actually believe the shit that comes out of their mouths. It’s like they have no idea how we see right through the bullshit.

All valid points and I won't even pretend to defend his comments.  I would not have threatened no-notice check rides, not the place on a DOV guy.  On the other hand if I was the SQ/CC and my IPs were sitting in a circle talking about the airlines at work I would justifiably not be happy.  We all bitch about the bullshit queep that keeps us from flying and focusing on the mission, shouldn't that apply both ways? 

"Good Dude" in this context...really means good leader.  I know many people on here know who he is, but I will still attempt to preserve his anonymity. Let me give some examples of what I am talking about.  He is MOST certainly NOT part of the management club, on multiple occasions I saw him say no to STUPID shit from above.  The Command wanted to deploy someone to a useless position...NO, he stopped it and took the heat.  Being told his wing needed to perform some dopey make-busy tasks on a weekend..."Fuck NO" was his answer.  Performing and tracking bullshit queep tasks that had nothing to do with mission..."Don't fucking do it."  He hates the career model and is straight up PROUD he was never an exec and never did a pentagon tour.  One final example, THREE days after met him he pushed a set of G Series orders for the Wing across the desk and told me he was leaving for almost a month.  The Wing ORI was going to kick off four days later so I asked "what is your guidance"...his response was "don't fuck it up...they know what to do."  He didn't call during the ORI, no second guessing, no micro-managing...zip.  When it was over I called him and he said how did it go?  I answered "we got an Excellent" and he replied "those fuckers should have given us an Outstanding...anyway here is what is happening down range."

For those who think we need the second coming of Robin Olds (and we do), please remember Olds was fucking his wing secretary and was not exactly easy on those around him when he was drinking which was often...even the great ones have warts. 

I am sure none of this is translating, I am too close and truly respect the guy.  I have other stories I can't share.  Also, if he came back to read this he would be pissed to see me defend him.

• Like 6

I think Fingers is actually trying to address the combat readiness of the force.

Too bad fingers is a giant douche with nothing but his own interests at heart. Which aren’t the same as ours.

Watch. You’ll see. He’s done talking about making quality of life and military pay better. He is going to go straight to stop loss and not bat an eye. He doesn’t care about us. He doesn’t even care what’s been promised us.

21 hours ago, jonlbs said:

That 10,000 gallon douche!  Just to make sure he sees this when he google gargles his own name, john venable.  Hell, was probably pointing at his patches as he made up numbers for how much it cost to make himself in that article.

This line is so good, it's an instant classic: " and enticing some of these “graybeards” to return will be relatively easy. "

I'll make it easy, just follow my list.

1. I pick where to serve. Easy.

2. I fly. And I pick when.  Easy.

3. I will have an office and beer will be in the fridge at all times.  So Easy.

4. No PT test, ever!  Insanely Easy!

5. No deployment, ever!  Easy.

6. I keep 100% of my retirement pay.  I'm sure there's a way.

7. My salary will be 100% tax free and will be based on my monthly base pay at my airline at my seniority number.  Act of Congress, if well motivated, is possible.

8. I can leave whenever I want.  Easy.

9. No OPRs, 1206s, CBTs, etc (code for anything else/qweepy I don't want to do).  Easy.

10. 36-2903 is waived.  I get to wear whatever uniform items I have in my closet in whatever combination I come up with.  I'm thinking the old white "blues" service coat with all, some, or no medals, V-neck t-shirt in brown, 1st generation PT shorts in my regular size (alright, XXXL will keep the creeper sweepers away), and black boots with white socks.  Hat will be an "operator" cap!  If I decide to wear one.  Easy, just close your eyes when I walk by the front office. 

11.  On wingman day, I will hold council in my office where we will talk about beer, gambling, flying, airlines, airline apps, what's hot, guns, beer and guns, tell stories and other fun shit.  Easiest thing in the world. 

12. Once a month, I will lead a formation low level to some place cool.  Jan - St Croix.  Feb - Wherever they grow cheap roses.  Mar - any NCAA tournament city, but just for 1 night; don't want to get it too much trouble.  Apr - A Florida Spring Break hot spot.  May - Cali.  Jun - Vancouver. Jul - Anchorage. Aug - St Johns. Sep - Dealers choice. Oct - the best Octoberfest in America. Nov - Vegas. Dec - Hawaii (I'm sure there's a JAATT that needs filling out there).  Easy.

So in summary, compensation scale tipped towards AF, all bullshit removed, and AF QOL improved.  Easy.

Out

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

At least he didn’t stand in front of 30+ TacAir IPs who grew up on six or seven sorties a month and proceed to state that the AIM-120 was one of the biggest problems facing USMC aviation like our head of aviation did.

Edited by VMFA187

36 minutes ago, VMFA187 said:

At least he didn’t stand in front of 30+ TacAir IPs who grew up on six or seven sorties a month and proceed to state that the AIM-120 was one of the biggest problems facing USMC aviation like our head of aviation did.

Did he scroll 16.9 minutes into Top Gun and start quoting? 

42 minutes ago, VMFA187 said:

I'm at a loss why it would be a problem?

2 hours ago, gearpig said:

Getting "some" to return probably would be easy. The rest of the article seems reasonable.

Is there more to this guy? Because I don't get the hate.

Almost exactly what I was going to post.  

1 hour ago, VMFA187 said:

Is the AIM-54 making a comeback?

59 minutes ago, matmacwc said:

He'd rather your focus be on CAS?

No, he alluded to other threat nations putting out A/A missiles that are more advanced than what we currently have.

We won't get into the validity of the statement. But if higher believes that is one of the "biggest" issues facing Marine aviation, our leadership is severely misguided.

3 hours ago, VMFA187 said:

No, he alluded to other threat nations putting out A/A missiles that are more advanced than what we currently have.

We won't get into the validity of the statement. But if higher believes that is one of the "biggest" issues facing Marine aviation, our leadership is severely misguided.

I guess we should curl up in a ball and cry for mama.  WTFO.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2017 at 10:03 PM, RTB said:

How do these people still keep progressing when everyone can see how bad they are?  Rhetorical question but it drives me crazy. So many good leaders forced out along the way. 

Because as much as some leadership preach about 360 degree feedback, none of it exists in the USAF.  You are promoted purely on how well your OPRs and PRFs are written in the eyes of those above you who were successful in that same process.  Heck, even with the 100% to Major our Wing King still made everyone go through the PRF process; that’s how much they value paperwork.  So, in essence, you can be a class A D-bag and still get promoted really far. 

On 11/12/2017 at 10:51 AM, dream big said:

Because as much as some leadership preach about 360 degree feedback, none of it exists in the USAF.  You are promoted purely on how well your OPRs and PRFs are written in the eyes of those above you who were successful in that same process.  Heck, even with the 100% to Major our Wing King still made everyone go through the PRF process; that’s how much they value paperwork.  So, in essence, you can be a class A D-bag and still get promoted really far. 

Yeah, the 360 degree feedback is bullshit too.  The currently douchebag that’s the 89th Command Chief had to do the 360 degree feedback and sent it to his “friends” to give him feedback.  Surprisingly enough no one that either didn’t like him, had worked for him, never received it.  Everything can be skewed in life and the Air Force would rather have professional “skewers of data” than addressing actual problems and telling douche bags they can’t be leaders.

On November 12, 2017 at 11:51 AM, dream big said:

Heck, even with the 100% to Major our Wing King still made everyone go through the PRF process; that’s how much they value paperwork. 

That's because the PRFs suspense date to the Wings were before the CSAF/Air Staff policy release. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HeloDude said:

That's because the PRFs suspense date to the Wings were before the CSAF/Air Staff policy release. 

Yep.  Everyone locally here at base x was pissed that CSAF/HAF dropped that change so late.  The FS/OG/WG had already worked, routed, and rack/stacked the PRFs for the year.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Ram said:

The FS/OG/WG had already worked, routed, and rack/stacked the PRFs for the year.

Just a curious question with regards to the new promotion policy to Major. If they routed and rack/stacked PRFs up to your WG/CC, did the WG/CC give feedback to every dude on how those PRFs would have departed the wing?

Or was it “good game, nothing more to see here” as the PRFs were tossed?

My Wg/CC provided feedback to all the guys who had a PRF written on them. 

In my end of the world we weren’t so lucky. Our stuff made it all the way to the wing. Haven’t heard anything from anyone since the announcement. Glad I worked on those prfs.