1,000 Retired Pilots Can Be Recalled to Active Duty

LookieRookie

3 hours ago, HeyWatchThis said:

No clue.....I didn't know that was an option....this particular bonus is a retention bonus on the civilian side, not military if that makes a difference.... SUPPOSEDLY they are/were going to update our pay tables with OPM but it has been radio silence on that front for a year now...most have simply lost faith and the few of us that were holding out hoping someone would pull their head out of their ass and actually do SOMETHING decent have started researching airline options since Big Blue even on the AFRC side seems unable and/or refuses to genuinely attempt to close the pay gap... 

To further stoke the fire I have heard both personnel and wing leadership mutter why we even have the bonus since nobody is staying anyway....to me that means you haven't offered ENOUGH, not go the opposite direction and think we should just cut the bonus out.....but sadly that mindset doesn't surprise me from a Big Blue perspective...

Yea I'm talking about ARTs. The WG/CC just had to certify every year for the continued need for the Retention Incentive. 

As for the new GS-2181-XX SSR, AFRC sent that to OPM early this year with AFRC/CCs signature so who knows where that is.

4 hours ago, SocialD said:

Yes it's Guard.  GS-12 step 1 is the min you'll see in my squadron, however for now, GS-13 is the min.    I have heard of AFRC giving out GS-9s?  What a ing joke.  We already have Captains going to the regionals over GS-13 jobs, I can't imagine what it would look like with anything less than GS-12.

GS-9? I’m sure that’ll work just great.

Now I have seen GS-13 step 6 with some extra if you are current and qualified.

On 11/3/2017 at 4:19 PM, LookieRookie said:

Yea I'm talking about ARTs. The WG/CC just had to certify every year for the continued need for the Retention Incentive. 

As for the new GS-2181-XX SSR, AFRC sent that to OPM early this year with AFRC/CCs signature so who knows where that is.

Well I guess we can hope that when the new pay tables release in Jan. we might get a bit of good news.  I don't think we got the four year deal as it was explained to us that we were only getting this 25% for one year while they get the permanent raise pushed thru.  Sadly for us we will lose ~7% because if the permanent raise is just simply pulling locality out of the 30% pilot increase our locality is only 17ish%......

53 minutes ago, matmacwc said:

Well that won't buff out.

No.  Gen Goldfein translated it to a $10B loss.  They said there's a 1-star evaluating 8 complementary lines of effort to correct the problem.  No mention if either of those lines of effort are to restore the perceived leadership or A1/AFPC credibility gaps.  He also mentioned that his 84 year old father is excited about coming back off retirement to AD.

2 hours ago, HU&W said:

... his 84 year old father is excited about coming back off retirement to AD.

And you have a problem with old people coming back, Junior?  

Show a little respect for your elders.

And get off my lawn.

Ram!!  Get me an Ensure!  And give me your lunch money.  

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, HuggyU2 said:

And you have a problem with old people coming back, Junior?  

Show a little respect for your elders.

And get off my lawn.

Ram!!  Get me an Ensure!  And give me your lunch money.  

Not at all.  Welcome back.  Just give the flight doc a heads up so they can get a sufficient supply of depends.

Ha.  Looked at the Bio.  Ironic that a previous duty title was Chief, Detainee Affairs and Personnel Recovery Division...  

So this "crisis" has been going on for some time.  We passed the "predict the problem and solve it before it happens" phase.  Then we got to the "let's just react to the problem" without seeing really anything as far as new effort or incentive for people to stay/return.

Now it's more like "The school bus is hanging over the cliff, let's assemble a tiger team with our top people to generate a bullet background paper detailing effective lines of effort to solve this.  Then we can have a follow-up meeting in 6 months with edits and comments to staff it to all agencies involved."  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The AF is short 1,920 pilots, which equates to a loss of $10 billion. So by my simple math, that roughly equates to $5 million per aviator. Doesn't a bonus of $100,000 a year make more sense and still allows the AF to get off at a rate of $1 million vs $5 million if qualified dudes were to accept a 10 year contract after their initial contract is up?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Duck said:

If one more idiot says enlisted pilots are the solution...

I'll be that idiot.  Enlisted RPA pilots would be the solution to return EVERY medically qualified 11U to a manned cockpit, with the 18X RPA only pilots taking on a leadership/supervision role.  It's not a 100% solution, but it would help.

I'll be that idiot.  Enlisted RPA pilots would be the solution to return EVERY medically qualified 11U to a manned cockpit, with the 18X RPA only pilots taking on a leadership/supervision role.  It's not a 100% solution, but it would help.

Sorry, should have clarified. Enlisted RPA pilots would be a short term bridge that would work. However, I think they will end up having similar problems keeping drone operators as the drone industry becomes more in demand.

My point is that putting a guy making 30K a year into a cockpit and expecting him to stay a day past his commitment is crazy.
  • Upvote 5

Sorry, should have clarified. Enlisted RPA pilots would be a short term bridge that would work. However, I think they will end up having similar problems keeping drone operators as the drone industry becomes more in demand.

My point is that putting a guy making 30K a year into a cockpit and expecting him to stay a day past his commitment is crazy.

In other news, I have interviewed 10 candidates for USAFA (side job) and only two of them have any interest in being a pilot...

3 minutes ago, Duck said:

In other news, I have interviewed 10 candidates for USAFA (side job) and only two of them have any interest in being a pilot...

How many for cyber?  We're having our own retention issues, and to get the cool training you incur a significant ADSC.  We've also got our own devil's-money bonus.  So I wonder what the pull in is given the drops announced in the other thread.

We just finished our Vet day activities, and the number of people excited to celebrate being out was interesting.  Not a lot of the nostalgia I saw from vets when I first joined.  Though, I'm older and could be jaded.

The AF is short 1,920 pilots, which equates to a loss of $10 billion. So by my simple math, that roughly equates to $5 million per aviator. Doesn't a bonus of $100,000 a year make more sense and still allows the AF to get off at a rate of $1 million vs $5 million if qualified dudes were to accept a 10 year contract after their initial contract is up?

But according to that article they already dramatically increased pilot retention bonuses.

9 minutes ago, 17D_guy said:

We just finished our Vet day activities, and the number of people excited to celebrate being out was interesting.  Not a lot of the nostalgia I saw from vets when I first joined.  Though, I'm older and could be jaded.

Interesting observation, I’ve noticed the same.  Folks who left even as late as 2010 would discuss their service fondly after a few years of being out.  Since about 2013, everyone I know who left has unanimously said their life is better and not a single one gives a damn about the AF.  It’s been a markedly negative change.

• Upvote 2

But according to that article they already dramatically increased pilot retention bonuses.