1,000 Retired Pilots Can Be Recalled to Active Duty

LookieRookie

3 hours ago, Jaded said:

I think the anonymity is for the poster, not the OG. If you give out a name, it reveals what base that person is at, and post histories can be used to find out who that person is. Cue reprisal from said OG. 

Shack

I look at it this way...my airline job is a pretty cushy job even during the busiest parts of the year or when I get a crappy schedule.  It isn't a hard job...  Do I want to give that up to go back to AD for 8hr days, 5 days a week, less pay, and some unknown TDY's or god forbid a deployment?  That's an easy answer, NO F-ING WAY!  What does the AF have to offer me to get me interested: queep, CC's who care about their rank and future promotions, low morale, and a never ending supply of extra duties outside the purvey of my job?  I haven't even looked at the money aspect because I left AD primarily due to how miserable it had become.  Flying was great but when I wasn't flying life just got tiring in the AF and was only getting worse.  The POTUS himself could come out and say "All additional duties are hereby gone".  Nothing would change because every CC (be it SQ, OG, or WG) is going to still assign them with some BS excuse because in the end it looks good on them and their OPRs.  It's sad but that's the reality.  Now add in all that along with less money.

My profit sharing check last year was in the ballpark of $20K and that was with 3 months of MIL Leave due to a deployment along with a significant amount of other time lost preparing for said deployment and trying to fly to stay current throughout the year.  The carrot they hold is the retirement aspect and bonuses...I will get my reserve retirement when I hit my 20 and will collect when I reach appropriate age.  In the meantime I will far exceed what the military can offer in terms of pay and bonuses at my airline all for less work.  Returning to AD for 3yrs isn't going to be enough to get me a full AD retirement.  Therefore the insignificant amount of "points" that will be added to my retirement (in my personal opinion) isn't enough to entice me to return to AD and take a break from the airlines.  I can build my retirement savings far bigger in the airlines than I can with a few extra points for far more work and the typical hassle of AD.  

Just my personal opinion of course...to each their own.  Either way I hope it remains voluntary and no one is "forced" to return if they don't want too.  For those who chose to return, good on them and best of luck!  

:beer:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jaded said:

I think the anonymity is for the poster, not the OG.

Yes, I'm aware that is the reason.

However, I can think of a few ways to get the specific info out without putting the person making the post at risk.  It isn't that difficult.  

1 hour ago, HuggyU2 said:

However, I can think of a few ways to get the specific info out without putting the person making the post at risk.  It isn't that difficult.  

Yeah I don’t really care about being anonymous. I mean, my home station ICAO is listed in my profile...

552 ACW, OG/CC, Tinker AFB, OK. Col Richard Land.

He said what he said in front of all the officers in the group. He’s not hiding how he feels.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

That’s great and all that they genuinely care, but whatever changes they think they are making aren’t making it down to the squadron level.
Until Big AF starts actually holding commanders accountable for making their communities better, nothing will happen.  We recently had an OG call in which the OG/CC had a container where people could drop anonymous questions that he could answer for them in his speech.  There was only one question. The note quoted the Chief of Staff’s memo that said the AF needs to get rid of additional duties, then noted that additional duties have been increased recently in our group rather than decreased, and asked why this community isn’t following the Chief of Staff’s guidance.  
The OG responded by giving a lecture about how we are all officers first, and we should be happy to help out by doing any additional duties that we are assigned.  And if this pilot has a problem with that, they can let him know, and he will PCS him elsewhere.
Until caustic leaders like this are fired from their jobs, nothing will change.  

Fingers Goldfien has stated this very statement to a room full of aviators. He said we are a volunteer officer force first and whatever the service chooses to do with the member doesn’t matter to the member because he/she is a volunteer. This is just the same rhetoric. Why would he get fired for regurgitating our CSAF’s position? I’ve said it before and I will say it again. Fingers goldfien is a douche and a terrible leader.

But will anyone have the balls to say that your most experienced WO/EP late Capt/junior Maj pilots should not be serving exec sentences when they are most valuable in the squadron teaching the young guys?  A 2LT from MPF could function as the exec (and do a much better job..)

They used to. The actual exec billet at all the CC levels was a different AFSC. But someone still thought the CC’s at all levels needed a “flying exec” to make OPRs for flyers great.

3 hours ago, Sneedro said:

Do I want to give that up to go back to AD for 8hr days, 5 days a week, less pay, and some unknown TDY's or god forbid a deployment? 

Only 8 hrs a day and 5 days a week for AD? What cush job was this, finance? Wait, they only work like 3...

3 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Sounds like it would be more fun if this story was in a JQP posting to open up potential viewers. Not the that upper management would do anything about it except maybe whisper encouraging nothings such as “leave, someone will replace you”

Edited by Sprkt69

2 hours ago, flyusaf83 said:

Yeah I don’t really care about being anonymous. I mean, my home station ICAO is listed in my profile...

552 ACW, OG/CC, Tinker AFB, OK. Col Richard Land.

He said what he said in front of all the officers in the group. He’s not hiding how he feels.

So youre working in DickLand, whatd you expect?

Best I could do, sorry. 

Retirement is great.  Unless they recall me

8 hours ago, polcat said:

For LtCols and Majors who are approaching the 17-20 year mark and plan on retiring at 20 years, do you guys think it'll be easier to stay in the cockpit and avoid staff?

Yes, already happening.  Seeing a fair amount of non command track O-5s headed to MAF bases.  Timing really is everything.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Duck said:

If this is truly a volunteer force, how come I keep volunteering to get out and they keep saying no?

Because the stop loss has already started, just not by that term yet.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Duck said:

If this is truly a volunteer force, how come I keep volunteering to get out and they keep saying no?

Because they're making you fulfill the commitment you voluntarily signed.  Now when they keep you one day longer then it becomes an issue.  

Because they're making you fulfill the commitment you voluntarily signed.  Now when they keep you one day longer then it becomes an issue.  

It was a joke. I’m pretty dumb but not that dumb.
  • Upvote 2

Im not sure about others, but my squadron can't even keep our full time spots filled.  No shortage of guys trying to show up off AD, just shortage of part timers willing to take AGR/Technician jobs.   I can't imagine this will help much.