1,000 Retired Pilots Can Be Recalled to Active Duty

LookieRookie

Might also be telling those getting ready to retire don't bother because you'll just get recalled. Something similar was happening back in the day when the retention guys were telling troops who were bailing in not so small numbers "stay in and get the bennies or if you get out you'll just be settling into civilian life when you get recalled" somewhat of a bluff to them but it was certainly a possibility.

<Phone rings> "Yo, bro, come on down. You've been Non-vol'd.  SOF briefing Monday morning, 0800"

"Dude, this stuff I've been smoking is the $hit.  Did you say something about SOF, something?"

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, HerkFE said:

<Phone rings> "Yo, bro, come on down. You've been Non-vol'd.  SOF briefing Monday morning, 0800"

"Dude, this stuff I've been smoking is the $hit.  Did you say something about SOF, something?"

I agree in principal but how it would play on a First Class Medical could be problematic. Damn FAA:banghead:

1 minute ago, fire4effect said:

I agree in principal but how it would play on a First Class Medical could be problematic. Damn FAA:banghead:

Yeah, just one example. There are plenty of excuses that people could come up with. "I don't know bro, ever since getting out, I can only do two pushups and I pass out if I run more than 50 feet".... No way to force people, especially ORF's, to do something they don't want to do. 

2 hours ago, Jaded said:

Here's what I don't understand. You can fly in the guard and reserves with very high disability ratings. Would AD be any different?

If you're collecting a VA disability you either have that deducted from your pay, or you waive all of your VA disability for your full pay.  

5 minutes ago, HerkFE said:

Yeah, just one example. There are plenty of excuses that people could come up with. "I don't know bro, ever since getting out, I can only do two pushups and I pass out if I run more than 50 feet".... No way to force people, especially ORF's, to do something they don't want to do. 

Here's an idea. On your down time chase the hot E-4 and put the Snap-On tool calendar behind your desk. Pretty sure neither have to be reported to the FAA:beer:

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Azimuth said:

If you're collecting a VA disability you either have that deducted from your pay, or you waive all of your VA disability for your full pay.  

I'm more wondering how VA disability affects your ability to re enter AD. 

sqwatch, I hope you realize my pot smoking reference was just a weak attempt at humor on my part. I'm just saying that it's damn near impossible to force someone back into performing a function like military flying against their will. 

7 hours ago, LookieRookie said:

There's a bottleneck in UPT/FTU.

1 hour ago, Sprkt69 said:

And the bottleneck at the CAF level too. (Absorption rate exceeded)

I hear there's a bottleneck at the Palace Chase office and with SAF approval, too...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Jaded said:

From a good source: "First blush from A1 is this just let's us open VRRAAD from 25 pilots for 12 months to up to 1000 pilots for 3 years...but still VOLUNTARY!!! I'll get you more info on Monday.”

Yeah, I read the same source.  Not to poop on his efforts, but that forum, like this one, has has a signal-noise ratio more suited to spirited (and useful) discussion than hard truth data.

Hopefully there will be more actionable data on Mon, but as even Roto admitted, the he was not fully read into the news story before it went to press.

Bottom line: I’m not expecting a TX date if I get voluntold, and that’s the problem with this, from my selfish perspective.

I could give a rats fucking ass what some douche in A1 says...take your intent and use it to choke yourself.  The only “fact” we know at this point is what is written in the order and that order delegates authority to SECSEF and SECAF to INVOLUNTARILY recall up to 1,000 pilots.  

Our intent...give me a fucking break...how many times have they lied already?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 4

Who knows what they're thinking anymore these days. VRRAD...coming back for a year to fill a staff position? You just can't make this stuff up anymore...they spent $6.9 Mil and 6900 man hours on a study like that and their solution was something fit for The Duffel Blog.

Edited by xcraftllc

1 hour ago, BashiChuni said:

Theoretically what’s the dollar amount you old crusty bastards would go back for?

-asking for a friend (A1)

I'd keep going in my AGR past retirement if AFRC didn't have this absurd 16 year TAFMS restriction on the bonus.  

Guys remember that Air Force vs Airlines meeting in May?  We never knew what the results were, but good news, here's the manuscript, swear to god, a buddy gave it to me, this is VERBATIM (maybe a few spelling errors). 

Fingers: "Lets find a way to increase the ATP requirements so you stop stealing my pilots, I think we can work together on this. I force my pilots to stay because they have nowhere to go, and you don't get military pilots anymore. It's a win win."

American Airlines: "I'm losing 3000 pilots in 4 years, I'm going to offer your pilots double pay, a better retirement, and no SAPR briefings"

Delta: "Pound sand. Change USSERA rules and stop letting your Guard guys screw us over and maybe, maybe we'll talk. Also we have 17% 401k AUTOMATIC contribution vs your Blended Retirement System."

United: "So you want us to give up the solution to our problems, and what do we get back. An IOU?"

Southwest: "Bags check free!"

Fingers:"It's going to be like that. Okay. I got something for you guys. We'll have this talk again in 6-9 months."

-------

2 Weeks later Fingers meets with Trump . . .

Edited by Crosswind
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BashiChuni said:

Theoretically what’s the dollar amount you old crusty bastards would go back for?

-asking for a friend (A1)

Just had this very discussion with the other FO yesterday, coming back from a particularly awesome European layover.  Former 11F (O-4/WIC type), now a 4 year WB FO, soon to be NB CA.  Here were his demands for a staff gig.

- 130k/yr bonus (difference in his expected NB CA pay and O-4 pay) that increases 5k for every year he's back on AD.

- Choice of his assignment/location

- No deployments or involuntary TDYs

- 8 hour work days

- Auto approval of all leave submissions (up to the yearly limit)

- No OPRs

- No work at home (email and blackberry stay in the office)

- No SARC training/CBTs/ORIs/MICT/PT test (although passing one clearly isn't a problem for this guy)

- Reimbursement for a property management company to take care of his house while he is gone

- A clause that states anytime finance denies any of his moving expenses/damaged goods, he can void the contract 

- DLA to and from his assignment, even the PCS to the PLEAD when he separates again 

- If he falls short of his 20, then ALL time counts toward early retirement credit for his part timer retirement

He was willing to knock off a FEW of these items if you let him just be a line IP with no additional duties.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 5