CSAR to AFSOC? What do the customers think?

SCRIMP

5 hours ago, slackline said:

Designated forces could just as easily cover the role as dedicated

I have a tough time believing that designating units on a temporary basis is as effective as having units whose primary mission and OT&E functions are dedicated to making it work.  When the taskings are more numerous than the units or the rescue missions go sideways, is designated really as good?  Corporate knowledge does count for something.

...and yeah, I don't think people here are questioning the line-AFSOC dude's willingness to do rescue.  It's more about the organizational side and resource allocation.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Bigred said:

Man, you should've heard some of the arguments of my Navy bros on this very thing. The dudes shouting "First actual CSAR since Vietnam" couldn't really explain why/how it was so dangerous when some dude in an ice cream truck parked on the side of the road was live streaming the pickup on Youtube.

And they had to go-around on their first approach for all the world to see. A CJSOTF pickup would not have been less dangerous for Jack.

24 minutes ago, Danger41 said:

Other side of the river would’ve started the invasion of Mosul early by some SOF guys and helos. 

They would have had a stack full of Reapers within minutes with weapons armed ready to lay down some hate, I’m sure every other armed asset would have been on station shortly after. Much as the RPA gets a bad rap they are darn good at finding shit, steady stare, and blowing shit up, and also their connectivity back to C2.

I always briefed my crew flying the line, i don’t care who we are following or what target we are working, if there is a fallen angel I’m coming off station to go get him, if you disagree put it on the tapes but it’s going to happen. 

Designated/dedicated is a false dilemma.  

The DOD has a limited number of certain assets to do certain things, those assets should be placed where they are most needed at any given point in time.  Sometimes that would be dedicated to a specific mission, sometimes not.  But that would require the GCC to actually sack up and make the call, and the components would have to actually fall in line.  And PR doctrine would have to change.... 

All of those things should happen.  Rescue being in AFSOC vs ACC is a red herring.

• 1 year later...

The new HH-60W has been officially named...

Combat Rescue Helicopter Named the ‘Jolly Green II’

ORLANDO, Fla.—The Air Force’s new combat rescue helicopter will be named "Jolly Green II".

The new helicopter, slated to replace the HH-60G Pave Hawk, will carry on the name of the venerable Vietnam-era HH-3E, which flew combat rescue missions from 1967 to 1995. Air Force Secretary Barbara Barrett unveiled the name during her keynote at AFA’s Air Warfare Symposium in Orlando, Fla., on Feb. 27 with an early production model on-site.

The new helicopter honors the history of combat search and rescue, with Barrett highlighting missions from Vietnam—when crews with limited equipment made dramatic rescues due to their “bravery and tenacity”—to a heroic flight of Jolly 4-1 and Jolly 4-2 to rescue U.S. special operations troops under fire in Somalia.

“The Jolly Green crews never lacked audacity or courage,” Barrett said...

12 hours ago, M2 said:

The new HH-60W has been officially named...

In the past few decades I've been incredibly surprised at the creativeness and originality of the USAF's naming convention for new aircraft.  I might be going out on a limb, but any one think the 6th gen will be named one of the following?

Eagle 2

Lightning 3

Mustang 2

Millennium falcon 2

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Magnum said:

In the past few decades I've been incredibly surprised at the creativeness and originality of the USAF's naming convention for new aircraft.  I might be going out on a limb, but any one think the 6th gen will be named one of the following?

Eagle 2

Lightning 3

Mustang 2

Millennium falcon 2

I like the sound of the Thunderbolt III

• Upvote 1