Zulu

FAA First Class Medical vs FC1 required for Air Force pilots

Today I went in to get my third class medical renewed so that I could continue getting hours. While talking to the cool Doc, he suggested that we just bump me up to a first class medical since I was qualified. He thought that this might be something good to have on my record while applying for pilot positions.

How similar is the FAA First Class Medical to the FC1 required for Air Force pilots? I'm assuming the FC1 is much stricter.

Is it even worth mentioning that I have a first class FAA medical while applying to ANG units? Does this just look dumb or will it make them not have to worry that I am not medically qualified?

Any thought would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Go ahead and include it in your application. Some units specifically require an FAA medical as a small form of medical pre-screening, so you wouldn't be off base for including it as a proactive and potentially useful measure. You could also fill out a DD Form 2807-1 and include that in your application as well. That form is basically your medical history in a nutshell for purposes of getting a flight physical exam.

However, a USAF FC1 is much, much, much more thorough, so an FAA medical certificate is really not anywhere close to being a guarantee that you'll have no issues.

Edited by mb1685
  • Upvote 1

Be careful with including additional documents in a package to whatever unit you're applying to. I've heard of some units tossing applications (and probably pretty solid apps) for not following directions in terms of what documents they want and the order they're placed in. Some may care, but others may not.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Zulu said:

Today I went in to get my third class medical renewed so that I could continue getting hours. While talking to the cool Doc, he suggested that we just bump me up to a first class medical since I was qualified. He thought that this might be something good to have on my record while applying for pilot positions.

How similar is the FAA First Class Medical to the FC1 required for Air Force pilots? I'm assuming the FC1 is much stricter.

Is it even worth mentioning that I have a first class FAA medical while applying to ANG units? Does this just look dumb or will it make them not have to worry that I am not medically qualified?

Any thought would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

FCI is much more in depth and passing an FAA first class doesn't mean anything to the USAF. That being said, one of the units I applied to required it, so it's not bad if you went ahead and got it anyways.

Edited by tk1313
  • Upvote 1

I have had an FAA class 1 for years now, but am medically DQ'd with no chance of waiver for an FC-1.  So do some research on your particular medical history...it matters MUCH more to the AF than the FAA.

Edited by SkydiveMike

53 minutes ago, SkydiveMike said:

I have had an FAA class 1 for years now, but am medically DQ'd with no chance of waiver for an FC-1.  So do some research on your particular medical history...it matters MUCH more to the AF than the FAA.

Was it something you knew about previously, or did it catch you by surprise during the FC-1?

2 hours ago, SkydiveMike said:

Same here. Just finished today. I have 20/15 and passed all of the vision tests easily but the thickness of my cornea is apparently out of waiverable limits. Hoping to get an exception to policy.