AFPC functionals and leadership

flyusaf83

I recently volunteered for a UPT assignment after receiving an email from group leadership saying they were looking for volunteers. I told my Sq/CC I was thinking about it.  Before volunteering, I emailed my functional to ask some questions about the assignment (timing, ADSC obligation, etc.).  The functional asked how interested I was.  I said I was, and would think about it. She said to let her know if I wanted the assignment.  I emailed her back a couple days later, saying that I was volunteering, and that she should hear about it through my chain of command soon.

I emailed my Sq/CC and let him know I wanted to volunteer. He said ok.  Well, today he pulls me aside and says I really pissed off OG leadership.  They think that I went behind their backs to get the assignment and didn’t use the chain of command.  They thought I should have asked my questions to them.

I always thought that it was the job of functionals to keep you informed about assignments, amongst other things, and be there to answer questions.  That’s exactly what I did.  I still kept my chain of command on the loop as I was thinking about it, and when I made the decision.

Now I’m slightly worried that my OG will bone me over, even though my functional said I’m g2g for the assignment.  Did I do anything wrong? Is this something I could go to the IG with if they screw me over now?

• Like 1

Your OG (by himself) doesn't own you with regards to your PCS, your functional does.  That's not to say that the OG can't contact your functional's O-6 and convince her to change the assignment, but I seriously doubt that will happen.  Not to mention that the UPT world is hurting for IPs.  

As for if you 'did anything wrong', I don't think so based off your email.  I've done similar things in the past and it wasn't a problem.  As for the IG complaint, you wouldn't have a leg to stand on IMO.

BL:  I wouldn't sweat it.  

You have to be a bit slicker than that, go through your chain, wait a month then call AFPC  and see what's been done.  AFPC will get the hint, and leadership shouldn't be pissed off.  Does AD still have ADPs?  Make sure that is filled out showing UPT as #1, you might just get what you want.

This is almost ten year old advice and dependent on the personalities of your functional and commander but I was told that as a courtesy you should CC your commander in any message traffic to your functional.

13 hours ago, Champ Kind said:

This is almost ten year old advice and dependent on the personalities of your functional and commander but I was told that as a courtesy you should CC your commander in any message traffic to your functional.

Sq/CCs have the functional's ear.  You're just one of a bazillion guys they're trying to get put into the "right" job.  In my 14 years I've sent exactly one email to my assignment team, and that was because it was requested by the functional.  I communicated my assignment desires to my Sq/CCs through my ADP and let them work it.

Of course, I've had good commanders that cared about my future.  That doesn't seem to be the case everywhere.

Edit: this response is general and not directed to Champ.  Just quoted for context.

Edited by Homestar

Eh, if the OG sent out the email it would have been more appropriate to go through them for info and not proceed direct to the functional.  having said that, I don't think it's worth worrying about.  Just tell your boss you were innocently looking for info and didn't intend to cut out the chain of command.. next time you'll do it right.

I think the AF culture of not being able to talk to the functionals (typically) is a huge disservice. I have a number of Army buds across the spectrum of MOS's.  When I told them I never had a direct line to my functional until very recently, they were blown away.. even the infantry guys say as a Lt you could email/call the assignment guy and discuss available jobs.  I believe the current crop of functionals at AFPC are making a HUGE effort to open lines of communication with their crew force.  The C17 guy has weekly DCO sessions for anyone who wants to join.  I've inquired a few times about assignments and he had no problem giving me his thoughts.  Hopefully the trend will continue - AFPC shouldn't operate behind a shroud of secrecy when they're controlling some of the biggest changes in our lives.

• Upvote 2

Eh, if the OG sent out the email it would have been more appropriate to go through them for info and not proceed direct to the functional.  having said that, I don't think it's worth worrying about.  Just tell your boss you were innocently looking for info and didn't intend to cut out the chain of command.. next time you'll do it right.

I think the AF culture of not being able to talk to the functionals (typically) is a huge disservice. I have a number of Army buds across the spectrum of MOS's.  When I told them I never had a direct line to my functional until very recently, they were blown away.. even the infantry guys say as a Lt you could email/call the assignment guy and discuss available jobs.  I believe the current crop of functionals at AFPC are making a HUGE effort to open lines of communication with their crew force.  The C17 guy has weekly DCO sessions for anyone who wants to join.  I've inquired a few times about assignments and he had no problem giving me his thoughts.  Hopefully the trend will continue - AFPC shouldn't operate behind a shroud of secrecy when they're controlling some of the biggest changes in our lives.

MAF and CAF are getting several more functional billets and filling then because the 4-stars want them engaging with us peons. Like answering the phone and whatnot.

I commend the existing MAF functionality who set up their Facebook group. Transparent is better.

flyusaf83, I don't see anything wrong with what you did.  You weren't trying to swindle anybody, you were just trying to find out more about the assignment from a reliable source.  If the OG wants to be mad about it, that's his choice.  However, I don't see that reason enough to bone you.

I'm in a tough situation with afpc right now as well.  I'm a UPT grad that was sent to RPAs as first assignment, and it's time to return to manned due to the sunset of the MQ-1.  I'm slotted for the E-8 jstars which ordinarily I would not mind, but it is screwing over my wife's career who is an mx officer.  Mx officers need a/c assignments that have multiple bases so the pilot (me) and mx officer (wife) can stay together long term.  I ranked the E-8 last for said reasons and that's still what I received.  I've tried explaining this to my commander but he doesn't seem to care.  It's going to lead to one or both of us getting out, which isn't something we wanted to do so soon.  I have no idea what to do.

Sorry I used your post as a platform to get this out, but I will go down kicking and screaming if I need to!

You should be able to jump from the E-8 to UPT or the E-3 next assignment. She should be able to go to any Mx unit.

No MX officers at UPT bases.

I'm pretty sure there are MX Officers at Sheppard since that's where their tech school (AMOC) is.

The other three don’t, and from what I understand they still prefer to get guys with -38 experience for their T-6 IPs.

1 minute ago, ihtfp06 said:

The other three don’t, and from what I understand they still prefer to get guys with -38 experience for their T-6 IPs.

I know, and knew, plenty of tanker pilots who have taught T-6’s there without ever going through the T-38 track themselves. Preferences and requirements are two separate things.

18 hours ago, Brock Putnam said:

flyusaf83, I don't see anything wrong with what you did.  You weren't trying to swindle anybody, you were just trying to find out more about the assignment from a reliable source.  If the OG wants to be mad about it, that's his choice.  However, I don't see that reason enough to bone you.

I'm in a tough situation with afpc right now as well.  I'm a UPT grad that was sent to RPAs as first assignment, and it's time to return to manned due to the sunset of the MQ-1.  I'm slotted for the E-8 jstars which ordinarily I would not mind, but it is screwing over my wife's career who is an mx officer.  Mx officers need a/c assignments that have multiple bases so the pilot (me) and mx officer (wife) can stay together long term.  I ranked the E-8 last for said reasons and that's still what I received.  I've tried explaining this to my commander but he doesn't seem to care.  It's going to lead to one or both of us getting out, which isn't something we wanted to do so soon.  I have no idea what to do.

Sorry I used your post as a platform to get this out, but I will go down kicking and screaming if I need to!

Like ThreeHoler said above, you could crossflow into another 11R airframe pretty easily. That being said, I would still attempt to solve this problem right now by pushing for a different assignment.  There are plenty of aircraft out there with more than one PDS. 

6 hours ago, Sprkt69 said:

If it is a join spouse assignment, you will get it. AF is mandating 100% on join spouse tours according to a 4 star

And you believe that?  I’ve heard a lot of promises from 4-Stars and most vanish like a fart in the wind as soon as leadership changes out. 

8 hours ago, Sprkt69 said:

Do I believe or care? No. 

100% was mandated by SECAF to her minions said the 4 star that sat in the room.  Do with that information as you wish. 

She also mandated that we stop doing a bunch of additional duties, yet we're still tracking every computer and signing people up to vote in the units...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Homestar said:

That fault lies also with your WG/CC

And federal law, as we're learning the hard way.  Turns out a lot of those CBTs where congressional reactions to various "problems" within the military.  Same with the voting assistance program.

Meh, fuck 'em.  If he's pissed enough, maybe they'll kick you out and you'll be happier at the airlines 5 years sooner.

An OG getting butt hurt about something like this, and the fact you're fearful of reprisal, is messed up.  Totally believable, but just plain wrong.  SMH.  We need better O-6s and above. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3