Chances for heavy unit?

jaygebee

Wanted to get advice on my chances with my scores and current situation.

I'm currently a non-rated active duty O-3 in the Air Force trying to get picked up by a reserve heavy unit. I am 27 turning 28 in February, so age is getting close, but I am already over the 5-yr Total Federal Commissioned Services requirement and would need an Exception To Policy (ETP). I am only just now a month past my 5-yr date. I would also need to Palace Chase, if picked up in early 2018, and would be asking for 6 months off my current Active Duty Service Commitment.

Undergraduate GPA: 3.35

Masters GPA: 3.38 (2/3 complete)

AFOQT: P 97, N 99, AA 62, V 83, Q 42

PCSM: 89 w/63 hrs (93, 96, 98 in next three tiers)

PPL

Initial Flight Class I Approved

My letters of recommendation are: my former squadron commander, my current supervisor, a friend/coworker (reserve C-17 pilot), and my father-in-law (retired reserve C-141 pilot).

I have visited my ideal unit once and plan to visit again next month. I have strong connections to the area around the unit. Both my wife and I are from there and our families are mostly all still in the area. We are looking to settle down and I would be seeking a long term position with the unit and would likely pursue an ART position. As a result I am initially only applying to that unit. If I am not selected, I plan to blast my application to various units as I will be pushing the age limit.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jaygebee said:

Wanted to get advice on my chances with my scores and current situation.

I'm currently a non-rated active duty O-3 in the Air Force trying to get picked up by a reserve heavy unit. I am 27 turning 28 in February, so age is getting close, but I am already over the 5-yr Total Federal Commissioned Services requirement and would need an Exception To Policy (ETP). I am only just now a month past my 5-yr date. I would also need to Palace Chase, if picked up in early 2018, and would be asking for 6 months off my current Active Duty Service Commitment.

Undergraduate GPA: 3.35

Masters GPA: 3.38 (2/3 complete)

AFOQT: P 97, N 99, AA 62, V 83, Q 42

PCSM: 89 w/63 hrs (93, 96, 98 in next three tiers)

PPL

Initial Flight Class I Approved

My letters of recommendation are: my former squadron commander, my current supervisor, a friend/coworker (reserve C-17 pilot), and my father-in-law (retired reserve C-141 pilot).

I have visited my ideal unit once and plan to visit again next month. I have strong connections to the area around the unit. Both my wife and I are from there and our families are mostly all still in the area. We are looking to settle down and I would be seeking a long term position with the unit and would likely pursue an ART position. As a result I am initially only applying to that unit. If I am not selected, I plan to blast my application to various units as I will be pushing the age limit.

Dude....stellar. With those scores and your resume, I'm certain you could get an interview at any unit in the country. I'm not sure about the ETP, though. I know a unit near me was doing age wavers for prior commissioned, so anything is possible. One of the more experienced guys will have to answer that, though.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

First post here.. I have another question related to the thread topic.

AFOQT: Pilot 98, Nav 97, AA 59, V 73, Q 48
PCSM 80, 28 hours
GPA 3.4 non-STEM
LOR's O-7, O-4, civ supervisor, initial CFI
Age 27.5
Good civ leadership experience

I'm currently working on my PPL. I began training this summer; I just switched flight schools today because the plane has been down for over a week and it has not been helping. I will now be flying 3+ times per week in a high wing Cessna.

I have 2 interviews scheduled this month, and I am waiting to hear back from a unit.  While I know I am going into these interviews with an inherent disadvantage, I have been told that regardless of the turnout I will be getting useful interview experience, which I have been getting.

Is it unheard of for guys like me to get picked up? Should I hold off on sending any more packets out until I get a PPL? Thank you in advance.

Wow! Our stuff looks pretty similar! I also had to switch from a low wing cherokee to a high wing cessna 172 after about 35 hrs in. I would keep chugging along on the lessons. If your interviewing for a reserve unit, show that you can have the PPL done prior to the reserve board if the unit was to pick you up. But... I'm new to this too so hopefully some wise gray beards will chime in. 

• Upvote 1

Agreed, your scores are more than good enough to not be the thing that doesn't get you hired, if that makes sense. Interview well, hang out with the squadron for a bit and be cool, and emphasize that your PPL will be done very shortly, and you'll do fine. People are getting interviewed by heavy squadrons with zero flight hours, so don't sweat it, really.

• Upvote 1

I think you definitely have a chance.  Apply to all the units you'd see yourself working out of.  My numbers were way lower than yours and I got hired by a C17 unit off the street at 28.5 years old.  Pilot 78, pcsm 57, PPL with 85 flight hours.  LOR from a Warrant officer, 1 retired LT Col at a Guard unit, and my PPL CFI. 

Just keep applying and you'll be the next lucky one.  Just apply to all you can. I think I applied to like 15 units and only one responded with an interview.

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

Hey all thanks for your replies and support. Just wanted to let you know I was picked up by a heavy unit. I think it was the interview that sealed the deal. To anyone in a similar situation just keep getting after it and your time will come. I talked to units that told me I need my PPL, I need to retake the AFOQT, I need to enlist first or I wouldn't qualify for this or that reason. Just keep sending out apps, visiting units, and interviewing to raise your chances.

• Upvote 1

First post here too - looking for some feedback

AFOQT: Pilot 60, Nav 76, AA 64, V 57, Q 66

PCSM 26, 0 hours, start PPL next week. Will be at 50 when I'm complete

GPA 3.62 undergrad (non-STEM); 3.79 grad school (have MBA)

LOR's 2x O-6's (both Weapons School Instructors and Group Commanders), President of major university

Age 32 ....oosh!...Age waiver

Very good record - strats of #1/17, 1/8, 1/7, 1/5, 3/14, 2/10, 2/7, & 2/5

PFAs usually 100% or 99%

9 years intel ...looking to go ANG or AFR

I'm new to the forum, and also going to jump on this post. Ideal aircraft is C130. Leaning toward AFRC, partly because I've already been turned down by an ANG unit. They said they were interested but NGB is not granting age waivers if they have other qualified applicants. Here are my details:

- 8 years enlisted ANG (would my current AFSC make a difference?)

- Undergraduate GPA: 3.32 (degree granted 2005)

- AFOQT: P 83, N 99, AA 81, V 96, Q 50

- PCSM: 44 (00 hrs... 49, 55, 60 in next three tiers). Starting personal flight training soon.

- Civilian job: police officer and firefighter, excellent physical condition.

- Already have Class III flight physical, requirement for my current AFSC.

The obvious issue here is my age, and to a lesser extent lack of flight hours. Can't do anything about the first (if only!) but going to address the second. During a recent deployment my squadron commander (from AFRC unit) told me age waivers are more likely right now because so many units are hurting for pilots.

I just learned of the unsponsored UPT option. Need to contact AFRC recruiting to find out more. Would sponsored or unsponsored make a difference when it comes to age waiver?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Kind of a similar situation for me: current ABM age 28 with >5 years commissioned service. 

Tests: P 96 /N 95/A 86/V 80/Q 84

PCSM: 66 with 6 hours, I’m up to 16 hours now, solo’d, 94 on 201+ column

Undergrad GPA is 3.3 in math/physics
MBA complete (UNC’s grad school doesn’t do GPA)

FC1 complete

I’ve rushed a few units so far, had a good time, had a few or more drinks, just want to see if my experience in ops will be seen as a good thing, or if the ETP for TFCSD will be too much of a hindrance. 

I’m casting a wide net, honestly just want to fly. I have preferences on MDS/location, but I’d be happy to join a good unit anywhere flying anything. 

14 hours ago, koonunga_hill said:

Kind of a similar situation for me: current ABM age 28 with >5 years commissioned service. 

FC1 complete

I’ve rushed a few units so far, had a good time, had a few or more drinks, just want to see if my experience in ops will be seen as a good thing, or if the ETP for TFCSD will be too much of a hindrance. 

I’m casting a wide net, honestly just want to fly. I have preferences on MDS/location, but I’d be happy to join a good unit anywhere flying anything. 

Your stats are stellar, bro. It definitely depends on the unit, though. I have interviewed alongside several ABMs that required an ETP, so the opportunity is there.

Edited by GDAL

On 1/20/2018 at 10:43 PM, koonunga_hill said:

FC1 complete

Awesome numbers! Cast your net wide but also hone in on your ideal or home unit. Work any connections you have there and show that you are committed to becoming a long term member of the unit. I'd say guard is a bit tougher to get an age or TFCSD ETP or waiver. The Reserves make it seem like it's a simple check the box. If the unit want you and you not ridiculously old, AFRC seems to ok it no problem. 

I'm living proof that in can be done.

I was an active duty nav and was 30 when I interviewed with my unit.  Now I start UPT in March.  I recently met another active duty nav in a similar situation who is even older than I am.  He's on his way to a Reserve unit via UPT, too.  Age is a total non-factor for some Reserve units right now.  Getting the ETP waiver for age and TFCS was the easiest part of the entire process.

If you want to go to UPT, don't give up and don't think you're out of the game just because you require an ETP waiver.  If the unit wants you, they will make it happen.