Lasik/PRK Recommendations

FlyingMonkey95

I'm currently assembling my package so I can submit it to the boards for a rated slot after I wrap up my final year in college. I currently DO need Lasik/PRK procedure done to be qualified for a pilot slot. Should I get the operation 6 months before I graduate or is it possible to get into OTS first and then have one of the Air Force doctors conduct the procedure? I been snooping around the web but found outdated information and answers regarding this topic.

Best regards,

Ryan

If you need Lasik to be qualified, then you're going to have to get it on your own dime before you apply. They won't accept an application from someone medically unqualified, or put you through OTS if you still require a successful surgery to pass an FC1.

17 minutes ago, stuckindayton said:

GDAL,

What kind of stats are you referring to?  Numbers?  Outcomes?  Complications?

Just curious if many pilots elect to get PRK/LASIK during their AF careers. I'd imagine it probably pulls you out of the cockpit for at least 6 mo.

10 hours ago, sforron said:

If you need Lasik to be qualified, then you're going to have to get it on your own dime before you apply. They won't accept an application from someone medically unqualified, or put you through OTS if you still require a successful surgery to pass an FC1.

Understood, thank you so much. 

Also, has anyone have experience of getting Lasik/PRK before getting picked up for OTS for a rated slot? I'm currently looking at surgeons that work with the Air force as well as do their own practices on the side. Does choosing certain doctors and getting the procedure done affect your selection chances?

59 minutes ago, Ryanwang121 said:

Also, has anyone have experience of getting Lasik/PRK before getting picked up for OTS for a rated slot? I'm currently looking at surgeons that work with the Air force as well as do their own practices on the side. Does choosing certain doctors and getting the procedure done affect your selection chances?

Has no impact.  Go to whatever doc you feel is right for you.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GDAL said:

Just curious if many pilots elect to get PRK/LASIK during their AF careers. I'd imagine it probably pulls you out of the cockpit for at least 6 mo.

AF policy is that the minimum DNiF is one month.  Average PRK DNiF is around 3 months, and average LASIK DNiF is around 2 months.  These are averages.  I've seen many pilots flying again well before then.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GDAL said:

Sorry, missed the first part of your question.  The number of pilots getting PRK/LASIK is not that high.  Mostly, it's because it's hard for them to take the time off.  Around 40% of pilots wear glasses/contacts.  That amounts to around 6,000 pilots in the AD pool.  Of those, probably 50% could be PRK/LASIK candidates.  We see about 150 getting surgery annually.  The biggest hurdle is the ops tempo.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ryanwang121 said:

I had Lasik done five years before getting picked up for a rated slot. All I can suggest is don't just use the cheapest surgeon you can find on Groupon, because there's different kind of Lasik machines and the older ones aren't quite as good (hence the discount from surgeons who spent $400k on them and don't want to upgrade). Find a surgeon who does 20 or 30 a month and you'll be fine, statistically. They can tell you beforehand how you rank on complication risks.

As far as getting the FC1 goes, I had more problems convincing MEPS that I still had eyeballs than I did getting my Lasik waiver done in Dayton. Like 3-4 extra tests, tops.

48 minutes ago, sforron said:

I had Lasik done five years before getting picked up for a rated slot. All I can suggest is don't just use the cheapest surgeon you can find on Groupon, because there's different kind of Lasik machines and the older ones aren't quite as good (hence the discount from surgeons who spent $400k on them and don't want to upgrade). Find a surgeon who does 20 or 30 a month and you'll be fine, statistically. They can tell you beforehand how you rank on complication risks.

As far as getting the FC1 goes, I had more problems convincing MEPS that I still had eyeballs than I did getting my Lasik waiver done in Dayton. Like 3-4 extra tests, tops.

Appreciate the answer. That puts me at ease.