How do I look for fighters?

oldfuck

I just applied to my first squadron, and I'd like to know how you guys think I stack up. Here are the numbers:

• GPA: 3.75
  • AFOQT: 92/77/50/60/43
  • PCSM: 67
  • Flight Hours: 27
  • LORs: 3; from current and former AF officers

Obviously I need to get more flight hours and get that PCSM up. Flying and graduating college are my top priorities right now. I expect to have my PPL by the end of the year, and about 80 hours around that same time. I will continue to build hours until I get picked up by a unit. I know I'm cutting it close with my age; I'm going to keep pushing until I get hired.  Thanks everyone.

When you don't have your PPL, units may be looking at your 101-200 or 200+ hour PCSM score as their guideline.  I was going heavies but every unit seemed to use that as a baseline while I was building time.  By the time you're being pushed to the NGB or AFRC it will be your actual PCSM that matters, but you have lots of time before then to just get into the high 80s to low 90s if possible to solidify your chances of being picked up at the highest level.  Especially if you're getting flight instruction that time will come while you finish up your PPL and fly a bit after.

For getting in the door and being hired at the unit level I think that a 92 AFOQT pilot and a 3.75 GPA with some solid LORs makes you very competitive if your 200+ PCSM looks good too.  I think it depends on the unit and who else is applying but you'd be up there I'm sure.

I first started visiting the units down the highway my junior year of college with a 73 PCSM and like 28 hours as well, and by the time interviews came around my senior year, I had a 90 PCSM with 77 hrs after retaking the TBAS, and now a 96 PCSM with 102 hrs.  And those hours I just built by flying a few times a month and dabbling in IFR instruction during the time between junior year and now.  

With your scores now and still some time presumably before interviewing, I think you'll be in really good shape because getting your PPL will be a big help and will add hours to raise your score.

Good luck!

edit: looked at my previous apps and updated my earlier scores

Edited by extender10
  • Upvote 1

I hope that is the case. I wish I'd have had more time to build hours before sending my packet in, but if they're going to take into consideration the 201+ bracket for my PCSM, I'd feel a lot more confident as I'm sitting at an 87 in that regard. Thanks for the insightful response!

10 hours ago, vipermaverickk said:

I hope that is the case. I wish I'd have had more time to build hours before sending my packet in, but if they're going to take into consideration the 201+ bracket for my PCSM, I'd feel a lot more confident as I'm sitting at an 87 in that regard. Thanks for the insightful response!

No problem! If you want to look at heavies at all I have a few emails you can contact.  Also try and visit once or twice at a few of the squadrons you're applying to - it will be awesome for you to go "touch the dream" a bit and meet some pilots and see some planes, and it will help them out as well.  In my opinion it's the most important thing you can do to get a ticket to UPT.

edit: At my C-5 interview, every interviewee except 1 I had met before during visits, and two of the people on the board. At my KC-10 interview, 2 or 3 of the officers and enlisted personnel on the interview board were people I had met before.  

Edited by extender10

1 hour ago, extender10 said:

Also try and visit once or twice at a few of the squadrons you're applying to - it will be awesome for you to go "touch the dream" a bit and meet some pilots and see some planes, and it will help them out as well.  In my opinion it's the most important thing you can do to get a ticket to UPT.

That's great advice, I couldn't agree more. I should have mentioned in my original post that I visited the squadron twice at their two most recent drills. They're an awesome group of guys and I'm really hoping I'm invited back for an interview next month. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
Guest Guy Sanchez
On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 11:04 AM, vipermaverickk said:

That's great advice, I couldn't agree more. I should have mentioned in my original post that I visited the squadron twice at their two most recent drills. They're an awesome group of guys and I'm really hoping I'm invited back for an interview next month. 

Hey dude did you get picked up?