Zulu

UPT vs UFT

Question

What is the difference between Undergraduate PILOT Training and Undergraduate FLYING Training? From doing some reading, it seems like UFT is for those who are already officers, whereas UPT boards include OTS and pilot training. I cannot find this explicitly written anywhere though.

Edited by Zulu

8 answers to this question

There's no difference, they are used interchangeably to refer to pilot training. Pretty much everyone uses UPT now, at least here at Vance.  Some of the older references may refer to it as UFT.  Has nothing to do with OTS.

In some contexts, it seems like UFT is sometimes just used as a broad term that encompasses all rated AFSC training programs (UPT, UCT, URT, UABMT).

On 9/17/2017 at 10:43 AM, mb1685 said:

In some contexts, it seems like UFT is sometimes just used as a broad term that encompasses all rated AFSC training programs (UPT, UCT, URT, UABMT).

Yes, to add: when you apply on active duty you apply to the uft board which chooses applicants for all rated positions. Those who get selected for pilot go to upt.

I'm just assuming here, but applying to be a pilot through ots is that the upt board explicitly are just selecting pilot applicants (without other rated positions). There may or may not be uft boards for ots, I'm not sure.

3 hours ago, argo said:

Yes, to add: when you apply on active duty you apply to the uft board which chooses applicants for all rated positions. Those who get selected for pilot go to upt.

I'm just assuming here, but applying to be a pilot through ots is that the upt board explicitly are just selecting pilot applicants (without other rated positions). There may or may not be uft boards for ots, I'm not sure.

When I got picked up for OTS earlier this year, it was a rated-only board with a mixture of civilians and AD enlisted applicants, and you could apply for whichever rated positions you wanted and could list them in order of preference (and omit ones if you desired). I haven't followed the news as closely since then but now it looks like they're experimenting with mixing rated and non-rated in the same boards, having separate boards for AD enlisted and civilians, and I think I read that you're required to apply for all 4 rated AFSCs now if you want to go rated. I don't think I've ever heard of pilot-only boards.

Edited by mb1685

26 minutes ago, mb1685 said:

When I got picked up for OTS earlier this year, it was a rated-only board with a mixture of civilians and AD enlisted applicants, and you could apply for whichever rated positions you wanted and could list them in order of preference (and omit ones if you desired). I haven't followed the news as closely since then but now it looks like they're experimenting with mixing rated and non-rated in the same boards, having separate boards for AD enlisted and civilians, and I think I read that you're required to apply for all 4 rated AFSCs now if you want to go rated. I don't think I've ever heard of pilot-only boards.

As of 17OT04 (Release date in early September), there were separate rated and unrated boards. Don't know anything about the unrated side but, for rated, you could apply for as many or as few AFSCs as you chose. Definitely not required to apply for all 4....however, that could've changed in the past few months. 

22 minutes ago, PilotCandidate said:

As of 17OT04 (Release date in early September), there were separate rated and unrated boards. Don't know anything about the unrated side but, for rated, you could apply for as many or as few AFSCs as you chose. Definitely not required to apply for all 4....however, that could've changed in the past few months. 

The whole reason I originally made this thread was because I read about having to apply for all 4 positions, and I wasn't sure if this also applied to civilian applications (initially was confused about UFT vs UPT, but now understand they are the same). Here is the 2018 UFT Board thread:

In the thread, Pred69 says this: 

On 6/20/2017 at 8:08 AM, Pred69 said:

There are several changes to the program this year:
1.  One Personal Letter:  We are now allowing members to provide a letter to the board with the member's comments on why they should get picked for Pilot, CSO, RPA, or ABM training.  This is YOUR chance to sell yourself.
2.  Members are now required to apply for all crew positions to which they are medically qualified.

Maj Travis "Pred" Halleman
UFT Board POC / Deputy Branch Chief, Rated Assignments

So I guess everyone now has to apply for all positions. So what happens if you do not get selected for pilot but that is all you wanted? You turn it down and never get to apply again? Probably going to pursue the Guard route until age would force me try for AD then...

Edited by Zulu

49 minutes ago, Zulu said:

The whole reason I originally made this thread was because I read about having to apply for all 4 positions, and I wasn't sure if this also applied to civilian applications (initially was confused about UFT vs UPT, but now understand they are the same). Here is the 2018 UFT Board thread:

In the thread, Pred69 says this: 

So I guess everyone now has to apply for all positions. So what happens if you do not get selected for pilot but that is all you wanted? You turn it down and never get to apply again? Probably going to pursue the Guard route until age would force me try for AD then...

I can't say for sure what the current situation is for OTS applicants, but you can ignore everything in that thread. That's for the Active Duty board in which already commissioned officers apply to cross over into another AFSC. It's a totally separate board and process. Regulations/procedural changes for those boards won't necessarily apply to OTS boards.

You might want to try pinging Steve from https://airforcejourney.com/. He's really good about staying on top of all the latest OTS updates.

Edited by mb1685

35 minutes ago, mb1685 said:

I can't say for sure what the current situation is for OTS applicants, but you can ignore everything in that thread. That's for the Active Duty board in which already commissioned officers apply to cross over into another AFSC. It's a totally separate board and process. Regulations/procedural changes for those boards won't necessarily apply to OTS boards.

You might want to try pinging Steve from https://airforcejourney.com/. He's really good about staying on top of all the latest OTS updates.

To clarify my comment, I was speaking as a civilian applying for OTS via a rated board