Staying in shape...

aspec

Well here I am a month from starting my journey to becoming a pilot. I'll be starting college and AFROTC.

Of course, I've been pretty lazy this summer and I told myself I need to start exercising to get back into shape. I'm actually pretty busy (work 7 days a week, almost all day... family business) but I plan on working out in the morning.

Just curious what all of you do to stay in shape? Just run and sit-ups and push ups? Or have you found it beneficial enough to get a membership at a local gym? I figured just running, sit ups, and push ups would do it but I'm no expert in exercising. I use to lift but I'm not in good 'ol high school anymore where it was free.

Well, let me know if you have any good work out programs or suggestions on staying in shape.

Thanks!

It's amazing what running, push ups and sit ups will do for you, but I'm one of those guys who has to drag my fat happy *** to somewhere that doesn't have my couch and my fridge. I'm also not real useful prior to about 0645, which gives me just enough time to get to work.

The morning is supposed to be the best time to work out, so if you can do it, do it. The sit ups and push ups will help with the PFT. If your run takes you by a playground, monkey bars and swingsets are great places to do pullups.

My brother and I, just for grins, went down to the playground behind my folks house when we were both on leave (for my dad's short-notice triple bypass surgery, which gave us a little incentive...he's fine). We decided to work out for 30 min, but not stop for more than 30 sec. We would do a set of pushups, then sprint across the soccer field x3, do pull-ups w/ sprints x3, tricep dips off a bench w/sprints x3 and then crunches. Try it some time.

Hey thanks for the reply PAB.

I was thinking of just using the running machine I have because I don't really want to run down my road (people fly down it and I don't think breathing exhaust gases while running is to good hehe).

I figured I'd do something simple like this:

-5 to 10 minutes of stretching.

-50 push ups

-50 sit ups

-15 minutes of running

-50 push ups

-50 sit ups

Every morning and increase the push ups and sit ups 1 more every day for a month... as well as increasing running time a bit.

Pretty much I'm just trying to find the quickest and most effective way to keep my endurance and strength (well, push ups and sit ups) up. Push ups aren't really a problem but for some odd reason I struggle with sit ups.

I figure work out every day, study hard, be active in AFROTC... and hopefully I'll have a good chance at a pilots slot. =)

I'm not a trainer or anything like that (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...I'll be here all week folks) but anything is better than nothing. Besides, you should see some of the sluggos in ROTC. If you walk in even remotely in shape, you'll stand out. Sounds like you've got a good plan, bro.

Guest Windchill
Originally posted by Eluzion:

Hey thanks for the reply PAB.

I figured I'd do something simple like this:

-5 to 10 minutes of stretching.

-50 push ups

-50 sit ups

-15 minutes of running

-50 push ups

-50 sit ups

50 sit-ups, are you trying to get in shape or kill yourself? :D

Just kidding, I hate sit-ups with a passion! It hurts so bad, maybe that's a sign I'm out of shape and should do more

Lol. I thought the perfect score for the PFT was like 80 sit ups and 70 push ups. I dunno, I was trying to shoot for that. =)

Seems like getting a pilot slot is very competitive. Since I'm gonna need PRK eye surgery (20/50 and 20/70 right now), I figure I need to bust my *** in everything else if I even want to be considered for a pilot slot. =) I just hope it pays off!

Originally posted by PAB:

I'm not a trainer or anything like that (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...I'll be here all week folks) but anything is better than nothing. Besides, you should see some of the sluggos in ROTC. If you walk in even remotely in shape, you'll stand out. Sounds like you've got a good plan, bro.

Haha. I always figured ROTC would be filled with a bunch of jocks that run 5 minute miles.

Eluzion,

Depending on where you go to school, see if there's a football stadium open in the mornings. Running up and down the stairs a dozen or so times will make you feel alive. I wouldn't do it every day, but it's something to mix things up every few days or so.

There'll be lots of both (lazy fat***'s and 5 minute jocks), I agree that the morning is the best time to work out. If you don't make time at the start of the day, it's too easy to skip a work out to do something less productive (like study for a test).

Well, I'm a lot more out of shape than I thought lol.

Just got done running about a mile and a half and I felt sick for like 20 minutes lol. I hate that feeling. Just my body telling me I'm lazy I guess. =)

Thanks for the replies though. Much appreciated.

Guest AaronERAU

I would have to agree right along with what PAB said. Running distance, pushups and situps can actually do quite a bit. More than I would have thought, anyway. Doing different stuff is probably a good idea, just for variety, and so you don't get bored of doing all the same stuff. Gym membership would probably be a very good idea as well, but I am guessing you are going off to college soon- so I wouldn't worry about it. Just use the one at your school, or something similar.

Just a word of advice, what ever you do make an effort to work out all parts of your body. It'll help you out in the long run.

Guest Highwater

A big thing thats helped me (now a 300 in AFROTC) is to keep a variety in your workout.. I did the same stuff over and over again my freshman year and all it did was make me bored and unmotivated. If you're running, do long distance one day, timed 1.5 mile the next, sprints after that... etc..

You get the idea. Your college should give you free membership to their health club so take advantage of that. Also, once you start school find someone in AFRTOC to go workout with, you'll meet people and get in shape at the same time.

Get your body used to the repetition of the movement before you worry about the weight/speed/number you can do.

A Combat Controller told me the other day that he could take anyone and in 18 months make them as fit as himself, its just down to the personal motivation. Very few people are born strong or fast - its just down to you wanting to do it.

Guest Ragansundowner

I've been doing this workout (scroll down on the link to find the complete 18 week program) in preparation for OTS and have found it works great.

http://www.navysealteams.com/Warning.htm

-R.S.

P.S. the portion you want is listed under "suggested student preparation"

[ 06. August 2004, 15:15: Message edited by: Ragansundowner ]

Hey, Eluzion

The AF uses a PT test that is weighted 50% run, 30% waist-measurement, 10% pushups, and 10% situps. You will find out all the specific times and numbers soon enough, but hopefully the percentage numbers will tell you to start running and slimming down now if you might have a problem in those areas. 15 minutes of running is ok, but I would start pushing that towards 30 minutes as soon as you can. Don't just try to go out and run straight either, mix it up like Highwater suggested, with some longer, slower days and some shorter, faster days.

But some overall advice; once you get to ROTC, I would avoid trumpeting that you are on your journey towards a pilot slot. No one really cares; you have four long years ahead of you and most will probably think 'here's another clueless freshman.' The road ahead isn't easy and a lot of the talkers are walking somewhere else now. Best of luck.

Guest Dactyl

We always have the kids at our det that you only see workout a week before the PFT.. Don't be one of them. Work out every week like you will be taking the PFT in a few days, if you can keep youself that serious you wont have any problems.

Also, you may find that the physical training program they make you do is a joke, it usually involves lounging around for an hour maybe doing some pushups and run a mile. Something interesting that I found that helped was to take a health/excersise class at the university as one of my electives. It tought me a lot about some of the misconceptions youll hear about excercising and eating right from everybody and thier brothers. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Yeah, I should be re-woreded that. In no way do I think attending ROTC means I'm gonna get a pilots slot. I already know it's going to be a very tough and competitive road ahead of me. Just starting ROTC and college is sort of "starting" my journey in trying to become a pilot. =) Hopefully my dreams will come true and I'll get that pilot spot but we'll see.

I've been working out as much as I can lately. I am really out of shape but trying hard to get back in shape. I really wish I would have started exercising early but better now than never I guess.

Guest GetUglyA-10

The best routine for exercising i have found, is start off with like a mile and a half, do 20 sets of push ups, and then right after you do your push ups, do your sit ups with out taking a long break. After you get good and up to par with those sets, step it up, and keep doing more. Oh yeah and a little tip for when you go running; don't drink ice water to refresh yourself it shocks your stomach, and your more prone to cramping up. Keep the water just kind in between.

Good luck and happy exercising