Fakedicck    1

Hi All,

Looking for some honest feedback on where I am at right now on during this process. I am 23 years old. Aiming for ANG and Reserves, in that order. Applying for all fighters.

• Mechanical Engineering GPA:2.52
  • Currently an engineer at Lockheed Martin
  • About to start flying, will get PPL
  • P74 N84 AA82 V90 Q66

Should I take the TBAS now or wait until I have some flying hours? Assuming I get my PPL and get a PCSM of 80+, what do I look like?  

cagg011    11

If you're applying to fighters, I'd work on getting your Pilot score up, also. Most Pilot scores I saw were consistently in the 90s. I agree with mb1685 to go ahead and take the TBAS. In the meantime, definitely doesn't hurt to apply to units. 

extender10    13

3.52 or 2.52 for a Lockheed Engineering job? Either way I've met a few Lockheed Engineers in my reserve visits before I was hired and that'll help.

I'd take the TBAS - it will allow you to put a PCSM score on your app (even if it's low temporarily).  It'll just show you have a better idea of where you are in the process.

Definitely apply and visit - until you have a PCSM and have boosted it with some flight hours and an AFOQT retake if you do that, getting a name for yourself and showing your face will be the most impactful thing you can do.  Plus, you're meeting pilots, seeing airplanes, hanging out with those you want to be in cahoots with during your career - so enjoy it and touch the dream a little bit while you're waiting to complete your package. Can't hurt!

FWIW my first "applications" I turned in were a resume, cover letter, and some other forms - I was 20 and still 18 months out from graduating and they understood and were just happy to hold onto my folder and accept .pdfs and envelopes when I wanted to add stuff to it over the next year.  At least my name was in the pile.

Fakedicck    1
18 hours ago, extender10 said:

3.52 or 2.52 for a Lockheed Engineering job? Either way I've met a few Lockheed Engineers in my reserve visits before I was hired and that'll help.

I'd take the TBAS - it will allow you to put a PCSM score on your app (even if it's low temporarily).  It'll just show you have a better idea of where you are in the process.

Definitely apply and visit - until you have a PCSM and have boosted it with some flight hours and an AFOQT retake if you do that, getting a name for yourself and showing your face will be the most impactful thing you can do.  Plus, you're meeting pilots, seeing airplanes, hanging out with those you want to be in cahoots with during your career - so enjoy it and touch the dream a little bit while you're waiting to complete your package. Can't hurt!

FWIW my first "applications" I turned in were a resume, cover letter, and some other forms - I was 20 and still 18 months out from graduating and they understood and were just happy to hold onto my folder and accept .pdfs and envelopes when I wanted to add stuff to it over the next year.  At least my name was in the pile.

Unfortunately a 2.52.... I know pretty weird that I got into Lockheed a year after college with this GPA but I am lucky. Anyway, what's your opinion on my scores? I know pilot is kind of low, should that definitely be something I retake? I am just nervous about doing worst the second time around. Also, how bad does it look for an engineer with such a low GPA? 

Do you fly fighters? Could you give me some tips that helped you get selected? Thanks! 

extender10    13

I fly Cessnas (haha) I'm waiting for my OTS date right now.  I was hired in February to fly KC-10s.  I just like lurking here to help where I can - I'm not always right.

As far as tips go, I know it will take some time, but do some searching of threads here.  The search function works really well and you'll see plenty of start to finish success stories (sort of) and plenty of interview prep help.  

I think that a retake would be great - plenty of time to study (I think it's a 12 month wait?) and it's just like any other standardized test.  Statistically speaking, retaking a test usually means you'll do better the second time - by how much depends on what you do to prepare.  Honestly, I didn't prepare until a few nights before, but I was in the middle of engineering school and breezed through things like table reading, math, basic science stuff - BUT, I made sure I knew the way it was presented and tested by using AFOQT study books and online resources.  

Somewhere out there are average scores for those picked up by AFRC/AD/NGB boards from past fiscal years/boards.  

• Like 1

bigdreams    3
11 hours ago, Fakedicck said:

Unfortunately a 2.52.... I know pretty weird that I got into Lockheed a year after college with this GPA but I am lucky. Anyway, what's your opinion on my scores? I know pilot is kind of low, should that definitely be something I retake? I am just nervous about doing worst the second time around. Also, how bad does it look for an engineer with such a low GPA? 

Do you fly fighters? Could you give me some tips that helped you get selected? Thanks! 

Are you working on their jets or something there? Because if you work on their f-16's and applying for f-16 units help you a little bit out there. If f-35's, that may impress a few folks too.

And just go ahead and study for the tbas (not much to study for really) then take it. You can always update your pilot score and flight hrs to increase your pcsm. It has always taken me less than 2 days for them to update my scores upon receiving updated flight hrs.

Your pilot score is on the lower end if you are trying to apply for fighters in the guard/reserves. Most of what ive heard/seen has been over 85 for pilot atleast.

Fakedicck    1
7 hours ago, bigdreams said:

Are you working on their jets or something there? Because if you work on their f-16's and applying for f-16 units help you a little bit out there. If f-35's, that may impress a few folks too.

And just go ahead and study for the tbas (not much to study for really) then take it. You can always update your pilot score and flight hrs to increase your pcsm. It has always taken me less than 2 days for them to update my scores upon receiving updated flight hrs.

Your pilot score is on the lower end if you are trying to apply for fighters in the guard/reserves. Most of what ive heard/seen has been over 85 for pilot atleast.

I work with missile defense which can also be used to shoot down planes.... so that won't be a talking point then! 

Just scheduled my TBAS and ordered some more study guide books for the AFOQT. Signing up for flying this Friday too. Let's do this fighter pilot thing!