RIP Doc

HU&W

Nothing here or elsewhere on the internet will be more than wild speculation; recommend leave it to those other guys and not here. Let's focus on the man and the family he left behind. Nickel on the grass for Doc. If you desire to help, check out the you caring link at the top in HU&W's post. :beer:

Edited by brabus
  • Upvote 3

On 18/09/2017 at 2:19 AM, Bergman said:

I interviewed both of the widows of the two pilots killed in the Constant Peg programme. Their stories are heart wrenching and their emotions were raw even after the passage of so many years. It took 30 years for one of them to find out how, where and what her husband was doing when he died. The other had a pretty good idea what her husband was doing, as I suspect the Schultz family does, but that's not the same as knowing for sure, and it's not the same as getting real answers.

"Doc" Schultz may have made the ultimate sacrifice, and I doff my hat to him, but his wife and five children are the ones who must live with the consequences. In my mind, they are the real heroes.

My thoughts go out to them. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Steve,

After reading your book "Red Eagles", I was visiting a neighbor and discussing your book.  His eyes got kind of big and he took me into his "I love me" room with all of his memorabilia from his military career.  There was a Red Hat patch on the wall along with a variety of instruments like altimeters, airspeed indicators of Russian extraction along with a couple MiG models on his desk.  I hope Doc's family will eventually hear the story of how unique and important his job was to our nation and to  the survival of his fellow aviators who may have to face those threats.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Took me almost five years to build the story, and it might not make me any friends in publishing it, but Schultz’ honour deserves to be defended:

Doc Schultz' Area 51 Mishap: The Details Revealed
https://youtu.be/zidJB6qxlKs

• Like 5
  • Upvote 10

15 hours ago, Steve Davies said:

Took me almost five years to build the story, and it might not make me any friends in publishing it, but Schultz’ honour deserves to be defended:

Thank you for this. 

On 5/7/2022 at 6:31 PM, Steve Davies said:

I can appreciate commitment to the cause, but I don’t think this is the way to do it. I didn’t know Doc, but I have to imagine that he wouldn’t appreciate the amount of spotlight now refocused on the organization and it’s mission. I can’t help but feel that more harm than good will be done as a result of the publishing.

I respect the integrity of your processes, but sometimes things might be better left untold. I know that certainly doesn’t bring comfort to a family left in the dark. 

On 5/8/2022 at 10:02 PM, Standby said:

I can appreciate commitment to the cause, but I don’t think this is the way to do it. I didn’t know Doc, but I have to imagine that he wouldn’t appreciate the amount of spotlight now refocused on the organization and it’s mission. I can’t help but feel that more harm than good will be done as a result of the publishing.

I respect the integrity of your processes, but sometimes things might be better left untold. I know that certainly doesn’t bring comfort to a family left in the dark. 

Have to disagree brother...publishing the details of the accident reveal nothing that everyone doesn't already know.   There are hundreds of photos on the interwebs like the ones below that reveal far more than a landing incident and failed ejection.

Doc's story deserved to be told.

Su-27-turning-left-towards-the-camera.jp

2-Merge-1.jpg

3-Merge.jpg

8-Su-27-bottom-view.jpg

Warning to the bros: You can find “alarming” info on the inter webs that does not make it OK to start contributing your knowledge on said subject outside the appropriate channels. You will get butt fucked accordingly if you fuck this up. Shouldn’t have to be said, but…

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

CH: I’m not trying to soapbox, but you know full well that there are heroic Americans who died in great service to our nation. The greater society will likely never know what/where/why it happened anytime soon. I don’t see Doc’s story being any different. By all accounts, a true patriot. Does that mean his story should be told at the possible expense of national security?

I have no clue if his wife was partly read-in or given a closed door debrief about the accident. If she wasn’t…absolutely foul. That is something I think the family is owed. Anything more, particularly to the rest of the world…not so much. 

• Upvote 1

I’m a regular viewer of Steve’s 10 Percent True show and read/own several of his books and I don’t fault him for pursuing the story. That’s his job as an author. What sticks in my craw about this story is that there are two sources that feel the need to comment to an author/journalist about something that absolutely shouldn’t be discussed. He’s not a shoulder to cry on about a tragic event. He’s an author with well known credentials. 

I’ll admit that it’s a terrible situation for families in these types of scenarios but that’s part of the deal, as cold as that sounds. There’s a wall at the CIA commemorating lost agents and most of them aren’t identified. Hopefully their families know about their fates, but I doubt it. 

My $0.02

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Standby said:

CH: I’m not trying to soapbox, but you know full well that there are heroic Americans who died in great service to our nation. The greater society will likely never know what/where/why it happened anytime soon. I don’t see Doc’s story being any different. By all accounts, a true patriot. Does that mean his story should be told at the possible expense of national security?

I have no clue if his wife was partly read-in or given a closed door debrief about the accident. If she wasn’t…absolutely foul. That is something I think the family is owed. Anything more, particularly to the rest of the world…not so much. 

I don't think you are soapboxing, I think Danger41 summed it butter than I could.  Steve as a journalist operating under the freedom of the Constitution and the 1st amendment, told the story, bravo.  I am assuming you are not saying Steve can't report what he finds as a journalist.  I agree that folks with classified knowledge have no business discussing things with the press or anyone not read in period dot. 

When I say Doc's story deserved to be told, perhaps I should caveat, I mean to his family.  There is probably some middle ground but DoD never seems to find it.  The family deserved some details and instead of "your loved one died in a crash, sorry",  I would have handled it like this - "Unfortunately Doc passed away in the crash of a classified aircraft.  It happened when he attempted to land but there was an issue with said classified aircraft and Doc was forced to initiate a very dangerous go around that ultimately saved the life of his backseater.  Doc attempted to eject but his seat failed and he perished." 

• Like 7
  • Upvote 4

6 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

I don't think you are soapboxing, I think Danger41 summed it butter than I could.  Steve as a journalist operating under the freedom of the Constitution and the 1st amendment, told the story, bravo.  I am assuming you are not saying Steve can't report what he finds as a journalist.  I agree that folks with classified knowledge have no business discussing things with the press or anyone not read in period dot. 

When I say Doc's story deserved to be told, perhaps I should caveat, I mean to his family.  There is probably some middle ground but DoD never seems to find it.  The family deserved some details and instead of "your loved one died in a crash, sorry",  I would have handled it like this - "Unfortunately Doc passed away in the crash of a classified aircraft.  It happened when he attempted to land but there was an issue with said classified aircraft and Doc was forced to initiate a very dangerous go around that ultimately saved the life of his backseater.  Doc attempted to eject but his seat failed and he perished." 

We’re on the same page, and your assumptions are correct. 

Edited by Standby
  • Like 2

On 5/14/2022 at 4:44 AM, ClearedHot said:

Steve as a journalist operating under the freedom of the Constitution and the 1st amendment,

I mean, except for that Steve is British, living in the UK, and doing his research and producing that content while physically residing in the UK.

• Haha 1