Thoughts on my Chances

FlyingMonkey95

Good afternoon,

I'm currently a 21 year old (22 in October) working on my package to be submitted when I graduate from my university. I been in touch with a recruiter and he told me that the Air Force OTS Rated Slots are only looking for Stem Majors. I surfed the internet web and found contradicting statements regarding his claim. If the recruiter's statement is false, I have listed my credentials and experiences below. It would be awesome if you guys can give me some feedback on how to improve my chances of being selected. 

GPA/Major: 3.36 (can raise it to 3.4 before graduation)/ Marketing 

AFOQT Scores: I have yet to take it , but have been practicing daily. I plan to take it 3 months before graduation in February 2018. Based on my practice scores, I would place myself in the 87-93 percentile in each category.

Flight Hours: I started the process of obtaining my PPL. I plan to log around 50-60 hours before I graduate.  

LOR: I'm trying to obtain one from the city Major. I'm also looking for recommendations and suggestions in this category.

Work Experience: I have had 3 jobs in college. My first one was just a summer and part time job where I helped families relocate. The other 2 were summer internships for my major. (1 was a subcontractor for and at Google. Not sure if they take these things into considerations)

Criminal Record: None, not even a speeding ticket

Physical: Very fit, a gym rat. (Highschool Football and Tennis Team, Intramural Football in University) 

Notes: I know I need to get PRK/Lasik done. Currently wearing contacts. 

I know there are alot of "In-process" points listed above but I know if I continue to work hard, these will be acheived. Since I was a kid, I have always dreamed of being able to fly. There is no greater privilege than serving your country and simultaneously achieving your aspirations. Any feedback is appreciated and I want to thank you guys for helping out!

-Ryan

I would take the AFOQT and TBAS asap. Don't wait until you're within 3 months, you can take them now.  That way, you have time to retake them if you want sooner, and you have some scores to put on your resume when you visit units. (Edit: I guess this doesn't matter if you're going active duty).

I started rushing units my junior year of college and was hired at two units 5 months before graduating at age 22.  You're in a great spot right now - in my experience being young was more of a positive than a negative if you're well spoken and prepared.

I had 85 hours, PPL, AFOQT Pilot 98 and PCSM 93 (it's now 96  since i've been flying more).  I had a 3.45 GPA and a Materials Engineering degree.

My buddy was hired with an Econ/Poli Sci double major.  Your recruiter is there to help you meet the requirements for the process, but don't let them discourage you because of your college degree.

I'm not sure what a city major is... but think about if you've had any friends or family with military history, your employers, and definitely football/tennis coaches or professors for LOR.

Edited by extender10

If you can do as well on the AFOQT as you predict, I'd say you look solid. I've seen people get picked up with quite a spectrum of majors so don't stress about the marketing holding you back. Although extender above makes some good points, my initial thought would be to focus on getting your GPA up and then focus on the AFOQT so you're not spread thin with your studying. This depends on how much time you have and if you're trying to go direct from college to flying. Does the mayor know you well or did you just ask them for a LOR? It's better to have LORs from people who can speak of your character and leadership rather than someone you hardly know with a good title.

Thank you so much for your guys feedback. As for city major, I meant to put city Mayor. I'm definitely going to establish solid networking connections so they can help me out with my LORS. I'll look into my schedule and see where I can potentially fit in my AFOQT test as Im still a full time student. Besides score differential,  do you guys know if taking the test twice will have an affect on the selection process? 

19 hours ago, Ryanwang121 said:

Thank you so much for your guys feedback. As for city major, I meant to put city Mayor. I'm definitely going to establish solid networking connections so they can help me out with my LORS. I'll look into my schedule and see where I can potentially fit in my AFOQT test as Im still a full time student. Besides score differential,  do you guys know if taking the test twice will have an affect on the selection process? 

Won't have an effect on the selection process. AFAIK they can only see the most recent score. Degree doesn't have to be STEM - I was just picked up with a Poli Sci/Sociology degree. Your GPA just has to be above a 2.5

Ref the "looking for STEM majors" comment, I've heard that a lot over the last decade, and I'm sure its accurate.  But, "looking" is not the same as "accepting only".  In the first place, recruiters don't make the board's policy. They certainly try to get the better qualified inputs, but they can't actually say no if you meet all the requirements in the AETC and AFRS guidance. If you have a "soft" major you may take a very small hit on the board's score sheet, but with a strong package you still have a good chance.  I was a Poly Sci major (granted, a long time ago), my son was a Gov't/International Affairs guy a couple of years ago, and I've seen a lot of Liberal Arts majors get selected over the last few years, including Music, Fine Arts, and Philosophy.  My experience and observations indicate the key is having a strong package overall, not one focused solely on flying time, or GPA, or volunteer time, etc.The board score has a defined number of points available in each of about six categories, "Extra" weight in one already strong category doesn't get you much advantage compared to boosting a weaker category; everything is important! 

2 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Ref the "looking for STEM majors" comment, I've heard that a lot over the last decade, and I'm sure its accurate.  But, "looking" is not the same as "accepting only".  In the first place, recruiters don't make the board's policy. They certainly try to get the better qualified inputs, but they can't actually say no if you meet all the requirements in the AETC and AFRS guidance. If you have a "soft" major you may take a very small hit on the board's score sheet, but with a strong package you still have a good chance.  I was a Poly Sci major (granted, a long time ago), my son was a Gov't/International Affairs guy a couple of years ago, and I've seen a lot of Liberal Arts majors get selected over the last few years, including Music, Fine Arts, and Philosophy.  My experience and observations indicate the key is having a strong package overall, not one focused solely on flying time, or GPA, or volunteer time, etc.The board score has a defined number of points available in each of about six categories, "Extra" weight in one already strong category doesn't get you much advantage compared to boosting a weaker category; everything is important! 

Got it, Im going to work hard on all aspects rather than just focusing on one. Thanks for the feed back!