UPT Chances

OTR

I am trying to get a feel for what my chances are at obtaining a UPT position. I have been in the guard for 6 years, TSgt and I am a Weapons Director (GCI).  I am 28 yrs old so I know time is almost over. Not too picky on what to fly, fighters would be awesome an although

I have heard success stories with scores less than these those were probably isolated events. Other info below please share thoughts?

Work: Mission Planning NCOIC Weapons and Tactics Shop, Weapons Director (also known as enlisted ABM)

GPA: 3.91

AFOQT: Pilot: 87, Nav: 52, Ap: 40, Verbal : 44, Q: 39

PCSM: 68 with 7 flight hours

Will continue building flight hours for PPL unless I get picked up

Have LORs from 3 unit commanders and can get one or two fighter pilot O4 - O5  ones as well.

Questions

Should I have my LOR's be general to a UPT board or specific to a unit since I want to apply to multiple places?? Thanks.

How much can you fly in these guard/reserve squadrons? Can you guard bum a lot??

LOR should be addressed to the unit commander or chief pilot usually.  

Most units will have a hiring point of contact who can help you put your package together and give you those names.

You can have your LOR writers write the letters and you can change the names at the top when it's time to distribute them.

Edit: Or, this early on, you could just write "To Whom it may concern" while sending out packages.  If you get an interview, you can revise your LOR if necessary.

Edited by extender10

With respect to LORs, I had mine written out as "Memorandum for Air Force Officer Selection Board." I used the same ones for AD and multiple guard/reserve units and had no issues getting interviews. 

As for your resume...stellar. Good prior history, great GPA, AFOQT scores aren't bad on the pilot side. Just get as many flight hours as you can. To give you a baseline, here are the average scores for a heavy unit I just visited:

• Pilot - 91
  • Navigator - 76
  • Academic - 69
  • Quantitative - 63
  • PCSM - 83
  • PPL - yes

Thank you all for the LOR tips I really appreciate the feedback!

V/R

OTR

18 hours ago, GDAL said:

With respect to LORs, I had mine written out as "Memorandum for Air Force Officer Selection Board." I used the same ones for AD and multiple guard/reserve units and had no issues getting interviews. 

As for your resume...stellar. Good prior history, great GPA, AFOQT scores aren't bad on the pilot side. Just get as many flight hours as you can. To give you a baseline, here are the average scores for a heavy unit I just visited:

• Pilot - 91
  • Navigator - 76
  • Academic - 69
  • Quantitative - 63
  • PCSM - 83
  • PPL - yes

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

I just found this forum and I am new to baseops.net, but I will throw the question out anyway. I know back in the day, Reserve and Guard UPT slots were sometimes awarded to undergraduates. If I was a straight A student in HS and college, very involved in sports and leadership positions AND I had my FAA Commercial ASEL,AMEL,CFII, 1st Medical, was 21 years old, could it happen?

I am happy to hear any feedback.

Thanks,

18 hours ago, Dan Meyer said:

Hello All,

I just found this forum and I am new to baseops.net, but I will throw the question out anyway. I know back in the day, Reserve and Guard UPT slots were sometimes awarded to undergraduates. If I was a straight A student in HS and college, very involved in sports and leadership positions AND I had my FAA Commercial ASEL,AMEL,CFII, 1st Medical, was 21 years old, could it happen?

Thanks,

Yes

21 hours ago, Dan Meyer said:

Hello All,

Thanks,

Yes, a lot of squadrons will let you apply when you're withing a year of graduation.