Just took the AFOQT.. retake? Help!

gear3green

Hey everyone I just took the AFOQT and I am a bit disappointed with my scores. At the moment I am a regional pilot with about 1800 hours and 5 months from upgrading to captain. I am pursuing a guard/ reserve heavy unit.

P83 /N30 /AA17 /V22 /Q20

Bachelor's degree in Aviation with a 2.5 GPA

Prior service Army (enlisted)

Alot of volunteer time with the civil air patrol and different organizations in the aviation community.

27 years old.

I am scheduled to take the tbas next week.  I would not want to take the AFOQT again but if  it needs to be done I'll do it. What do you guys think? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you for your time. Have a great day.

Pilot score ain't bad, but the rest of your scores are some of the lowest I've seen. GPA isn't great either. That's ok, though. It's all about the whole person concept. Once you get the TBAS done, start rushing units. If you don't get any interviews in the time it takes for you to become eligible to retake the AFOQT, retake it. Study harder. Don't give up.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, GDAL said:

Pilot score ain't bad, but the rest of your scores are some of the lowest I've seen. GPA isn't great either. That's ok, though. It's all about the whole person concept. Once you get the TBAS done, start rushing units. If you don't get any interviews in the time it takes for you to become eligible to retake the AFOQT, retake it. Study harder. Don't give up.

Thanks bud! I appreciate the feedback and will do. 

5 minutes ago, BEEPBEEPIMINAJEEP said:

Study more and retake the AFOQT. I mean, why not? I would say your age doesn't give you the luxury of time to go through all the not-so-timely hoops involved in the application/interview/notification processes. If you want this, do anything and everything you can to give yourself the best chance. 

Agreed. In the mean time while I wait the 6 months I am going to try and rush some units and see what happens.

Decent pilot. Everything else is pretty low. Your pcsm should be pretty decent though with the amount of flight hrs that you have. Try another study tactic for your retake and get other scores up. They dont need to be scholar scores, but atleast get them above 50's. Focus on getting the pilot and pcsm score high.

Edited by bigdreams
Typo
  • Thanks 1

Everyone I just want to say thank you for the great feedback you guys have given me. I will for sure retake the AFOQT when I am allowed to do so again. In the mean time I am starting to rush some units and see what happens. Once again thank you everyone.

Take the test again if it's holding your confidence back. But from all the interviews I went to, at the end of the day nobody cared. You may or may not have trouble landing interviews with those scores/gpa but that's about it. If you get the interview with those scores then you have nothing to worry about

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Nice job!  I would say you need to start sending out some packages and reach out to units to go visit so you can interview before you're 28.  It may be worth it to consider retaking the AFOQT to get some of your other scores above the 50th percentile too - but I think you said you were already considering it.

Edited by extender10
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, extender10 said:

Nice job!  I would say you need to start sending out some packages and reach out to units to go visit so you can interview before you're 28.  It may be worth it to consider retaking the AFOQT to get some of your other scores above the 50th percentile too - but I think you said you were already considering it.

Thanks, man! Yea while I wait the 6 months I plan on reaching out to all the units I can get a hold of. Hope all is well on your side. 

• 1 month later...

Awesome - congrats!

My only advice is to stay in constant contact with your unit when appropriate, and remain patient while they try to handle all of your paperwork on top of their own flying and day to day ops.  If they ask for something, be prompt in getting something back to them.  The less time that document is sitting open on their computer waiting for something, the better.  They are busy, they may have other priorities day to day, and some of the signatures those handling your package will need will be from dudes that may be in and out of the squadron frequently, maybe only a few times a month.  The more you can stay fresh in the minds of those handling your paperwork so that they can stay on top of it (without being over the top annoying about it) the better.

AFRC will be very anal and probably have you redo a good amount of things, as well as submit some new forms and memos.  This will likely include your squadron POC as a middle man - so stay organized!  There were plenty of minute adjustments to paperowrk that I had already done 2-3 times. Also, you may find yourself sending a scan of your log book or pilots license for like the 10th time.  Keep blank and filled out copies of forms both with you on a jump drive wherever you go, or on google drive on your phone.  Also, there are some "scanning" apps for phones these days that are free and do almost an equivalent job to a computer scanner for when you're on the go and need to make a quick change to a document and re-submit. That way when you're in a hotel or something at your regional gig you can take care of biz.

My buddy missed the last board because he couldn't get a few signatures at the squadron level, or because the ART handling things couldn't find where parts of his package were when he was trying to work on things for AFRC.  Be ready to re-submit or serve up forms no matter how many times you've already done them.  It wasn't necessarily their fault, but just an organizational hurdle.  

Edited by extender10
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, extender10 said:

Awesome - congrats!

My only advice is to stay in constant contact with your unit when appropriate, and remain patient while they try to handle all of your paperwork on top of their own flying and day to day ops.  If they ask for something, be prompt in getting something back to them.  The less time that document is sitting open on their computer waiting for something, the better.  They are busy, they may have other priorities day to day, and some of the signatures those handling your package will need will be from dudes that may be in and out of the squadron frequently, maybe only a few times a month.  The more you can stay fresh in the minds of those handling your paperwork so that they can stay on top of it (without being over the top annoying about it) the better.

AFRC will be very anal and probably have you redo a good amount of things, as well as submit some new forms and memos.  This will likely include your squadron POC as a middle man - so stay organized!  There were plenty of minute adjustments to paperowrk that I had already done 2-3 times. Also, you may find yourself sending a scan of your log book or pilots license for like the 10th time.  Keep blank and filled out copies of forms both with you on a jump drive wherever you go, or on google drive on your phone.  Also, there are some "scanning" apps for phones these days that are free and do almost an equivalent job to a computer scanner for when you're on the go and need to make a quick change to a document and re-submit. That way when you're in a hotel or something at your regional gig you can take care of biz.

My buddy missed the last board because he couldn't get a few signatures at the squadron level, or because the ART handling things couldn't find where parts of his package were when he was trying to work on things for AFRC.  Be ready to re-submit or serve up forms no matter how many times you've already done them.  It wasn't necessarily their fault, but just an organizational hurdle.  

Hey, thanks for this bro! I started filling out all these forms and hope to be on the next board here in January. My recruiter said he wants to send me to it without my medical done. I just don't know if I can get rejected because of that. What do you think? 

Is it your FC1? I'm not sure. If your recruiter seems to think he can get you through without it, all power to you guys.  

Remember, lots of fed holidays and general spottiness probably coming up over next month, so try to figure out as much as you can before christmas.  Keep in contact with your POCs.

The reason I emphasize so much of the logistics is that numbered AF decided to audit my entire wings hires for the Sept board.  All of us had to redo things for seemingly BS reasons for the numbered AF to let us re-submit to AFRC.  We scrambled to get it done for a few days.  You never know who could stick there nose in and decide something isn't fit for an AFRC stamp.