Details on Age Requirements

Guest SteveW

Mustang,  Much appreciation to this thread. Could you keep me in the loop on this age requirement movement. I'm 30 with 5yrs in the army NG trying to get in and fly. I keep hearing about the pilot shortage mumbo jumbo and hoping they will have some wiggle room on age. 

Checks with what I recently went through in the Guard.  Apparently the Guard (maybe all of the ARC?) recently adopted the same blanket age waiver that AD uses.  35 for RPA pilots approved across the board, at least that's my understanding.

• 6 months later...

I am in a similar situation as a few in this thread.  I am thirty-one years old, and have bachelor's degree in aviation and am currently a master's candidate.  My background includes former corporate pilot, Alaskan bush pilot and flight instructor.  I currently fly for a regional airline; I have no idea whether I stand out enough over younger applicants so that I could have a unit entertain the notion of considering me.  I finished my bachelor's late in life and other things made me push aside the military for some time.  I know that there are guard units which are hurting for pilots, but I have no idea at this moment which ones are hurting or how to gain their trust so that they could vouch for me in order to obtain a waiver.  Has anyone had any success in earning a pilot slot with a unit above age 30? I have to move extremely quickly to knock out the required tests and start talking to units....

Does anyone have the new AFI or doc describing the new age waivers beyond 30? Is that only for RPA or is that for pilot as well? 

An actual AFI doc would be HUGE.

I tried looking up "afi 36-2205" but i'm still find the old one and no new language on accepting pilots beyond age 30. 

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2017 at 4:20 PM, Mb14 said:

Does anyone have the new AFI or doc describing the new age waivers beyond 30? Is that only for RPA or is that for pilot as well? 

An actual AFI doc would be HUGE.

I tried looking up "afi 36-2205" but i'm still find the old one and no new language on accepting pilots beyond age 30. 

Thank you!

Try this thread, copies of the memos are attached:

Apparently revision to AFI 36-2205 is in the works but who knows what it will say.

Hey All,

I was wondering if any of you knowledgeable people out there had an answer to a question I had. I am in the process to applying to the rated boards September 2017 as a pilot. I am still working on increasing my chances by getting a PPL and retaking the TBAS, I figured I would just apply so as to not self eliminate. However, my recruiter is encouraging me to put down all the rated positions citing my age as a potential issue because of the wait times for OTS. I was born April 29th 1991 making me 26. I am fine with putting down other positions, I just won't want to get picked up for something else when I know I can become more competitive for that ever covetable pilot slot. To make a long story short, Is the age limit 27? More importantly, when is my age counted? At the board convening date? Or when OTS starts? I want to make the most informed decisions possible. If anyone could point me to regulations that would be great! 

Best regards,

Rook

On 8/27/2017 at 9:28 AM, LucklessRook said:

Hey All,

I was wondering if any of you knowledgeable people out there had an answer to a question I had. I am in the process to applying to the rated boards September 2017 as a pilot. I am still working on increasing my chances by getting a PPL and retaking the TBAS, I figured I would just apply so as to not self eliminate. However, my recruiter is encouraging me to put down all the rated positions citing my age as a potential issue because of the wait times for OTS. I was born April 29th 1991 making me 26. I am fine with putting down other positions, I just won't want to get picked up for something else when I know I can become more competitive for that ever covetable pilot slot. To make a long story short, Is the age limit 27? More importantly, when is my age counted? At the board convening date? Or when OTS starts? I want to make the most informed decisions possible. If anyone could point me to regulations that would be great! 

Best regards,

Rook

I just got selected after applying for pilot only, and I'm two years older than you.

On 8/27/2017 at 8:28 AM, LucklessRook said:

Hey All,

Best regards,

Rook

Your recruiter is full of it, he just wants to increase his odds of getting you checked off for his quota. And my OTS date was 3 months after me getting approved by the AFRC board. Now that's reserves, not sure about AD. They usually want you to start the process by your 28th bday so there will be no in question you can be in UPT by 30.

You're in a good position regarding age, just keep it moving along and don't let your recruiter jerk you around. Some of those guys you really need to hound to keep stuff moving along. 

40 minutes ago, Heavywanabe said:

Your recruiter is full of it, he just wants to increase his odds of getting you checked off for his quota. And my OTS date was 3 months after me getting approved by the AFRC board. Now that's reserves, not sure about AD. They usually want you to start the process by your 28th bday so there will be no in question you can be in UPT by 30.

You're in a good position regarding age, just keep it moving along and don't let your recruiter jerk you around. Some of those guys you really need to hound to keep stuff moving along. 

Exactly.  Strange that your recruiter is already mentioning age at 26.  There was a guy who applied to 17OT04 through my recruiter and got picked up for pilot, and he's 28.  It's a tight squeeze but he'll be considered age critical and should get thrown into OTS sooner than most.

On 8/29/2017 at 8:23 AM, kgrube said:

I just turned 28 on the 27th.  I've been told I will miss the September boards (as I am just starting the process to apply for OTS), and if I apply in April I will be too late. Is this true?

Next time UTFSF. 

Hello,

Below is from the Air National Guard website. Could someone clarify if the Basic Training and technical school will total 8 weeks (disregard counting the additional training for some upon returning home)? If not, what time frame are we dealing with for technical school? Thank you for your time and assistance.

What requirements are there after I join the Air Guard?

After you join, you will be scheduled for Basic Training (for non-prior service) and technical school to learn the skills for the job you selected. Upon returning home, there may be additional training required. Otherwise, you will begin serving one weekend a month and 15 days of annual training each year. Additionally, there is always the potential to be called to duty in times of need within your state or activated for a deployment.

23 hours ago, B P said:

Hello,

Below is from the Air National Guard website. Could someone clarify if the Basic Training and technical school will total 8 weeks (disregard counting the additional training for some upon returning home)? If not, what time frame are we dealing with for technical school? Thank you for your time and assistance.

What requirements are there after I join the Air Guard?

After you join, you will be scheduled for Basic Training (for non-prior service) and technical school to learn the skills for the job you selected. Upon returning home, there may be additional training required. Otherwise, you will begin serving one weekend a month and 15 days of annual training each year. Additionally, there is always the potential to be called to duty in times of need within your state or activated for a deployment.

This is probably something that could be answered by using the site search feature, or Google, but I'll bite. OTS (basic training for officers, basically) is eight weeks. Technical school is on top of that. If you're trying to become a pilot (this is a pilot-centric website), expect ~18 months of training.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone heard any updates about the max age changing for UPT lately? I keep hearing rumors here at my unit that it is happening soon. I'm 29 now and currently working on my PPL, so I'm affected by it as far as age goes since I now need an age waiver. Just wanted to see if anyone has heard anything more solid than just rumors. Thanks!

On 10/11/2018 at 11:39 AM, Av7xfan said:

Has anyone heard any updates about the max age changing for UPT lately? I keep hearing rumors here at my unit that it is happening soon. I'm 29 now and currently working on my PPL, so I'm affected by it as far as age goes since I now need an age waiver. Just wanted to see if anyone has heard anything more solid than just rumors. Thanks!

I know for AD UFT 2018 boards only, Air Staff recently approved a blanket age and TFCSD waiver. 

As @flat4power said, and from what I've seen, they did up the age and commissioned service time for the AD board upcoming next month. 33 for age and 7 (I think) years for total commissioned service. There hasn't been anything I've seen on it spilling over to AFRC/ANG yet, but it certainly doesn't hurt chances for those candidates.

I was able to get a non-prior service ETP for a Reserves heavy unit through at 36 (technically, I'll be 37 by UPT start, too). There was a whole lot of hustling/annoying people, by myself and my squadron (they were awesome at making calls), to get that to happen, but it worked out. I made it through the wavier process and the board, was just sworn in last week, and I've been working with the 340th and just awaiting inprocessing/official OTS start dates.

Anything is possible and it's always worth the shot.

Good luck!

• Like 1