Details on Age Requirements

Guest SteveW

I'm currently battling a pretty huge obstacle with my age waiver right now. Apparently a new change was made recently mandating the denial of all (previously approved) age waivers for UPT candidates selected after Oct 05. I was selected (by a Guard Eagle squadron) on 2 Nov 05.

My family is friends with a Senator and I may ask his opinion on how to move forward with my situation. I'd like to be able to directly point him to the reg I'm contending with should I decide to elicit his advice on the matter. As a last resort I can simply ask my commander where I can locate the reg, but I'd like to do as much leg work as I can on my own. Can someone point me in the right direction for ANG age waiver regs? Thanks a lot in advance.

Guest OldHercNav

AFI 36-2205

36-2205 is the reg governing the applications for UPT , UNT, And ABM. Chapter 1 has the req'ts including age. Attch 2 has the process for waivers or exceptions to policy. This may not contain the policy change you refer to, but it is the basic regulation governing the process.

Good luck,

OHN

RJP,

Don't be afraid to exercise the congressional option. Of course some O-5 somewhere is going to be stressed over a few calls from the Hill, but that's how our government works. If a Senator, and more importantly, his staffers are willing to bat for you, go for it: its his job to help constituents stuck in executive branch clown acts. You'd be surprised how well a little pressure from the Hill can break up a bureaucratic logjam. Who cares if it upsets some AD idiot flying a desk on the AF staff? The real BS is having some arbitrary rule change derail your chances of serving this nation as an aviator. Also, its highly unlikely that word about you calling your elected representative would follow you to UPT.

That being said, you must keep your Guard OG and Wing CC in the loop so they are not blind-sided. You certainly need their strong support to make this work.

Private message me if you want to talk more details.

Good luck, flying fighters is worth the fight. (I'm a guard viper guy)

-H

• 2 years later...
Guest Daffyz112

Reading AFI 36-2205 I see that you must start or have a class date for UPT before reaching age 30, but does anyone know about a rule stating that you must be commissioned before age 29.5 I think I read it in the AF BOT guide. I am 28 now and turn 29 on July 22, with me missing the Spring 2010 board no way I can meet that commissioning date. Help!

Reading AFI 36-2205 I see that you must start or have a class date for UPT before reaching age 30, but does anyone know about a rule stating that you must be commissioned before age 29.5 I think I read it in the AF BOT guide. I am 28 now and turn 29 on July 22, with me missing the Spring 2010 board no way I can meet that commissioning date. Help!

No rule about commissioning at 29.5 -- you can commission later than 30 if you're non-rated. However, considering the amount of time it takes from selection to UPT class date (as much as 2 years), I don't think applications are considered later than 28.5 without some sort of waiver.

• 1 month later...
Guest Dash8Capt

So here I am ... another aspiring military aviator looking to get a USAF pilot slot but my age is probably a factor. Moral of the story, I am 28 (turn 29 in August), prior service Air Force, college graduate and a Captain at a Regional airline. My choices are Active duty first, then Air National Guard or AF Reserve. I have not taken the AFOQT exam yet or started the process. I was told yesterday that the next Active Duty pilot board is not scheduled until October with a release date of early December. The officer recruiter said it would be almost impossible to get me through Officer Training School, Medical Flight Screening and Initial Flight Screening by the start of my 30th birthday. Apparently, he said the Air Force is currently not entertaining age waivers due to the planned force reduction. Any thoughts?

My understanding is that pilot candidates must start UPT by their 30th birthday. Interesting enough, I'm curious why the policy doesn't state the applicant must begin IFS (Initial Flight Screening) by their 30th. Understandably, I guess the word "screening" says it all but even that amount of time at IFS could make a difference in the time crunch for a guy like me. Has anyone had any luck getting an exception to policy or age waiver to get to UPT? Not a good feeling to be told you are too old to compete for a pilot slot. Any help would be appreciated!

Aaron

• 3 years later...

Has there been a change in the age requirements? Everything I find says meet with the board by 28 (or 28.5), OTS by 29, and enter UPT by 30. I just turned 27 a month ago, so I figured I was good. I'm trying to finish a PhD, which should be done next August. I figured I could get that done and still hit UPT by 30.

My recruiter just told me that I'll need an age waiver, and that I have to hit UPT by 29. In order to do that, I'd likely have to quit my PhD just a few months before finishing it, which would be a bummer. I figured it would come in handy later in life after my flying days were over. It's possible my recruiter is misreading OTS entry date for UPT entry date, though.

Lucky for you, you won't be going to IFS since you have a license (and other ratings obviously)... so that will shorten your timeline at least a little!

On a side note, recruiters don't know everything... evident by the fact that he or she didn't tell you that you would not be attending IFS were you selected for UPT

Edited by scottie

Has there been a change in the age requirements? Everything I find says meet with the board by 28 (or 28.5), OTS by 29, and enter UPT by 30. I just turned 27 a month ago, so I figured I was good. I'm trying to finish a PhD, which should be done next August. I figured I could get that done and still hit UPT by 30.

My recruiter just told me that I'll need an age waiver, and that I have to hit UPT by 29. In order to do that, I'd likely have to quit my PhD just a few months before finishing it, which would be a bummer. I figured it would come in handy later in life after my flying days were over. It's possible my recruiter is misreading OTS entry date for UPT entry date, though.

Dude, finish your PHD. You can control that. What if you quit with "a few months left" and fail the medical screening after you finish OTS? You'll feel fucking stupid the rest of your life. If you're a good candidate for UPT and Big Blue passes on you because of a couple of months, that's their loss.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Here's my situation:

I'm a 30 year old, six years in the guard still enlisted, who's supposed to be going to OTS in July for active duty UPT.

I was told that I had an "age waiver" by my recruiter* and though I was selected in 2015, attending in 2016 after my college was done and after my 30th birthday was no sweat.

Now they are telling me that I could run into an issue when I get to my UPT base, since I have no waiver per 36-2205.  What they said I have is a "GS waiver" which was supposed to cover my age.

My Questions:

What are the chances I'll need a waiver?

Does the section of 2205 "For waivers to be considered, the applicant must document an Air Force administrative, counseling, or medical error occurred within the last 2

years that prevented the applicant from applying for UFT." apply to me, the admin bit?

What are the chances I can get an ETP, if need be, in my situation?

*I understand the recruiter is the unreliable narrator

This seems like a fairly unique situation and different than mine. I got an ETP per 36-2205 so I am kind of familiar with that process now. Do you already have OTS and UPT dates? 

They're trying to decide if they're going to send me in July or October though, I guess now they are looking at my whole package. Told me my UPT orders would come at OTS.

QUESTION - AGE WAIVER UPDATE

I'm 2 years past the AF Reserves age limit to enter as a commissioned Officer. I do have a masters degree. No prior service. I read that an age waiver is possible! The started talking to reservist and reading go confused again...I heard/learned the following:

1. that I need a PASSIONATE recruiter who is not too routine and will actually TRY for you, and
  2. that some recruiters are saying that they can process applicants up to age 40

Can anyone out there clarify?

Can anyone point me to a good recruiter that is PASSIONATE about their job as an AF Reserve recruiter - I'm in Atlanta, but don't care where the recruiter is if they're are REALLY good at their job.

Thank you all.

• 3 weeks later...

Morning everyone.  I'm curious how often / if any of you have seen ETPs for age and time of active commissioned service get approved for Army pilots looking for a Green to Blue transition into the ANG or AFRC.  I am an AH-64 CPT with 7 years of active service and I turn 31 this year, so I'm beyond both maximums per the AFI.  If any of you can provide any insights on the likelihood of approval for those ETPs, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

I can't speak to the Green-Blue or AFRC/ANG, but I know 4 AD folks who received both an age and time waiver in the past couple years. They were all aircrew of some kind, and were all around the same age/time as you. I don't know how many people applied and didn't receive waivers, but there's one data point for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...

Does anyone know the ANG steps as well as the duration to be expected once a packet is signed by the TAG to obtain dates? I'm in the final stretch here and I'm terrified I'm going  to receive a "close but no cigar" notice like Eng30 did.

On 11/15/2005 at 2:41 PM, Guest Eng30 said:

I am a load and was accepted to become a Nav. I was 33 when I applied and my unit went for an age waiver. It has been one year and I was turned down at the Pentagon level.

My packet is currently sitting at NGB awaiting age waiver acceptance. I'm aware that somewhere along the lines A3 comes into play. (Or does it for ANG?)

I've received several warnings from my chief to not hold my breath and not let other opportunities pass me by because it's still very likely the packet can still get shot down. The only other age waivers I've read about are from AFRC.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Has anyone else heard within the past 2 or 3 days that the max age for pilot training has now changed to 35? My old recruiter says he has the guidance, but I didn't see it in writing. Hence, no need for age waivers.... and no consideration for one after 35 I'm guessing.

Sounds too good to be true. I'm texting my base recruiter right now!

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Baseops Network Forums mobile app

When I was applying a few months ago, my recruiter got an e-mail from her superiors to process all applicants up to age 39! I got mine approved at 32. Not sure what the oldest was. 

47 minutes ago, Mustang said:

My board said something similar. That a guy got excepted at 39. I just got off the phone with my units recruiter and he said there's lots of changes and 35 sounded about right.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Baseops Network Forums mobile app

Oh wow, that dude is going to finish his UPT commitment in his 50's! Good for him though.