Flying in ANG - Asthma

CC268

I realize this is a huge shot in the dark, but I wanted to at least talk with some folks.

I am 23, currently an Engineer (Mechanical Engineering degree) for a large Aerospace/Defense contractor. I love flying and currently have my PPL, working on my Instrument Rating as we speak. I am really considering making flying a career at this point. I have already confirmed I can get a first class medical (for civilian flying of course)

I flew with a fella who flew F-100s in Vietnam and F-105s in ANG. He really recommended I look into ANG. The catch is I have asthma. I do take a preventative inhaler every day. I haven't had an "asthma attack" since I was 3 years old. I realize that probably doesn't mean jack though.

My understanding is that this is pretty much a disqualifier. I understand their is some sort of waiver for asthma (if you no longer have it after the age of 13 - this makes zero sense to me as I don't think anyone is ever really "cured" of asthma).

What are your guys' thoughts? Is it even worth talking to a recruiter?

If not, it isn't the end of the world - I will continue the civilian route (likely CFI - Regionals, etc). I have to admit it is disappointing as I am very healthy other than my asthma, but it is what it is.

Thanks for your time!

1 hour ago, sforron said:

Yes, it's waiverable provided you don't have a history after age 13. See page 83: http://www.wpafb.af.mil/Portals/60/documents/711/usafsam/USAFSAM-Wavier-Guide-170601.pdf

Don't self-disqualify yourself by assuming you're out of luck. Recruiters might try to tell you something different but keep pushing.

Thanks for the feedback. Issue is I do have a "history" after 13 since I have taken medication for my asthma since then (and still do). I haven't been hospitalized by it of course, but have been prescribed the medication. 

I have a waiver for it. I was 'diagnosed' with it shortly out of the womb, and paranoid mother always made sure I had preventative inhalers. 

I was able to take multiple PFTs (w/ methacholine challenge), pass with flying colors, and provided a solid packet of evidence for the waiver.  Approved indefinitely.

1. Do you know for certain you actually have asthma?  You could be in the same situation I was...  Can you go run a few miles without the inhaler and not keel over aside from being out of shape? Probably a misdiagnosis....    It's common for young children to get misdiagnosed by quack doctors at an early age, when its usually just bronchitis. Growing up, when we would run the 1.0 mile in 6th grade and I was huffing and puffing, I thought it was from the asthma.  Looking back now I laugh... no shit, I was in 6th grade and ran a mile once a year, if that.  Of course I was out of breath.  Also, yes, you can grow out of it.  The waiver guide talks about it, but it also discusses the potential for it resurfacing as an adult.

2. Know the AF Waiver guide.  If you haven't read every reference in that thing regarding asthma, you're wrong.  If you don't know how to interpret PFT results, you're wrong.  You need to become the expert on the cause you're fighting.  It's equivalent to a legal battle.

17 hours ago, rancormac said:

I have a waiver for it. I was 'diagnosed' with it shortly out of the womb, and paranoid mother always made sure I had preventative inhalers. 

I was able to take multiple PFTs (w/ methacholine challenge), pass with flying colors, and provided a solid packet of evidence for the waiver.  Approved indefinitely.

1. Do you know for certain you actually have asthma?  You could be in the same situation I was...  Can you go run a few miles without the inhaler and not keel over aside from being out of shape? Probably a misdiagnosis....    It's common for young children to get misdiagnosed by quack doctors at an early age, when its usually just bronchitis. Growing up, when we would run the 1.0 mile in 6th grade and I was huffing and puffing, I thought it was from the asthma.  Looking back now I laugh... no shit, I was in 6th grade and ran a mile once a year, if that.  Of course I was out of breath.  Also, yes, you can grow out of it.  The waiver guide talks about it, but it also discusses the potential for it resurfacing as an adult.

2. Know the AF Waiver guide.  If you haven't read every reference in that thing regarding asthma, you're wrong.  If you don't know how to interpret PFT results, you're wrong.  You need to become the expert on the cause you're fighting.  It's equivalent to a legal battle.

Interesting. The doctor I go to is a respected asthma/allergy doctor. My asthma is very much allergy driven. I do a lot of strength training, but very little running at this point as I haven't had a reason to do a lot of cardio. I take a PFT each year (my lung capacity last I checked was at about the 85-90% mark). I can take a look at the AF Waiver guide. 

Thanks for the response.

• 9 months later...
13 minutes ago, SLeon_17 said:

Just curious, is the PFT for a flight physical pretty comprehensive, and something to prepare for?  Also will they only give you the Methacholine test if you have an issue with the PFT and require a waiver?

It's a standard PFT...sit in a big tube and do several breathing loops. Then take some albuterol and do some more. Good results? Move on to the MCT. Bad results? May or may not do the MCT. May just stop right there with a DQ. Used to be the WP pulmonologist had discretion whether or not to do the MCT. Then she apparently changed the policy 18 months ago or so and now requires the MCT for everyone who ever had any mention of asthma, even if PFT is great, and even if a pulmonologist determined an erroneous initial pediatrician asthma dx. Here's the best part: pass the PFT/MCT and are "normal," you still have to get a permanent waiver for something you never had (the flight docs there have discretion to dismiss it altogether and pass you with no waiver, or do the waiver. I got the waiver and it sounds like that's the norm). Not a huge deal, but a system that requires a waiver for something someone never had is a flawed system imo. I flew in another service for 8 years with no waivers, lived by a burn pit for a year and a half, lived in very dusty environments, went through gas chambers, went though many "asthma rich" environments with cold weather, allergies, and high physical activity (e.g. ranger school), with no breathing difficulty, but got to experience the "asthma" testing and waiver process at wright patt for my FCI.

Can't really prepare for it, unless you go to a civilian pulmonologist and take the test to see how you react to it before going to WP. The research I've done on MCTs make it look like it's a great test to confirm someone doesn't have asthma/RAD if they pass, but not a great test to confirm someone does have asthma/RAD. Apparently a chunk of the normal population (non-symptomatic, non-asthmatic) can fail the MCT, but not be symptomatic to "normal" asthma/RAD stimuli (cold/allergy/exercise). Seems like a case of the AF DQing more people than it needs to, but I'm no doctor. Good luck.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2018 at 12:04 PM, SLeon_17 said:

Just curious, is the PFT for a flight physical pretty comprehensive, and something to prepare for?  Also will they only give you the Methacholine test if you have an issue with the PFT and require a waiver?

It is, don't go out partying the night before, thats about it.