Combat theatre rescues and subsequent return to flight in same conflict

uhhello

I know it was against policy to return to the same theater in WWII. The theory being that if you were shot down over France, for example, and the locals helped you escape, if you returned to the theater and were shot down again you could be pressed for information regarding the people who helped you.

Given the minimal losses since Vietnam, I doubt it's happened since then at least.

58 minutes ago, SurelySerious said:

Pretty bad assumption...the CSAF being the most obvious counterpoint. 

Perhaps I should have said, given the minimal losses and short duration of conflict with contested airspaces. CSAF was shot down a month before we stopped bombing Yugoslavia, I highly doubt he had time to get back into the cockpit before the end.

5 hours ago, sforron said:

Perhaps I should have said, given the minimal losses and short duration of conflict with contested airspaces. CSAF was shot down a month before we stopped bombing Yugoslavia, I highly doubt he had time to get back into the cockpit before the end.

The next day. Jeez man, nice way to stick with the sinking ship. 

http://www.f-16.net/f-16-news-article2167.html

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SurelySerious said:

The next day. Jeez man, nice way to stick with the sinking ship. 

http://www.f-16.net/f-16-news-article2167.html

Sounds like you think I was being intransigent when I was simply mistaken. OK, he flew the next day, my hypothesis was wrong (though that article doesn't clearly say he flew in combat the next day, just that he flew).

• Downvote 2

16 hours ago, uhhello said:

Can someone point me to a good source showing numbers of pilots that were downed in a combat theatre and subsequently rescued/returned to service in the same theatre?  Any data or sources would be appreciated.

Theatre?  Welcome to Merica. 

I can't answer your question as far as sources but I can give you an example that I know of.  I was a squid on the USS Saratoga during Desert Shield/Storm. The F-14 we lost, I believe the RIO was captured, the pilot rescued. I think he was back in action within a few days. 

https://theaviationist.com/2015/04/28/f-14-rescue-mission-in-iraq/

"Lt. Jones was brought to a forward base in Saudi Arabia, where he was hospitalized for a brief medical exam, then the next day an S-3 from his carrier flew him back to his squadron. Following a three-day rest, he returned to the cockpit.

On the contrary, Lt. Slade, Slate 46 RIO, was less lucky: he endured interrogation, torture and starvation in the Iraqi hands for 43 days."

Edited by HerkFE
ETA link