What is right with the Air Force

matmacwc

Eglin is one of the worst offenders - reserved spots everywhere and labeled by number (i.e. 32-69).  Always loved parking right in front and getting a look from some random GS-X that knew there was no way it was my spot.  That base needs to immediately lose about 2000 reserved parking spots and every person attached to those spots.

• Like 1

To continue with the thread derail...
I guess I’m old school/a terrible leader because I think the parking spots for Wing CC and other leadership (not ing GS-15 or CCE, my God) are good because it’s a respect thing. Is it the most efficient use of parking spaces? No. But I think there’s a huge lack of respect in the military/American culture now. The E-3 and below parking spot type thing annoys me because that kid earns a spot over the E-5 that is his supervisor? What about the E-7 first shirt in the AMU that deals with the unbelievable amount of stupidity that comes along with that? I’m not very clearly articulating my point, but I hope it makes some sense.
Standing by for righteous indignation from the peanut gallery.
That form of respect is from an era where members are drafted, disposable, and only in for a couple-few years.

Senior leaders need to work harder for respect, and in an all-volunteer force where subordinates are making the same sacrifice (with far fewer perks) as the boss, parking spots are an easy way to demonstrate servant leadership.

I remember a Marine officer in Moron commenting on how the leadership table at AF events gets served food first, while the Marines, who will annihilate an E-3 for so much as looking at an officer the wrong way, always had the leadership eat last.

There are definitely structural and procedural mechanisms for reinforcing rank respect, but when those methods are also perks for the leaders receiving them, the effect is greatly diminished.
  • Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Danger41 said:

To continue with the thread derail...

I guess I’m old school/a terrible leader because I think the parking spots for Wing CC and other leadership (not fucking GS-15 or CCE, my God) are good because it’s a respect thing. Is it the most efficient use of parking spaces? No. But I think there’s a huge lack of respect in the military/American culture now. The E-3 and below parking spot type thing annoys me because that kid earns a spot over the E-5 that is his supervisor? What about the E-7 first shirt in the AMU that deals with the unbelievable amount of stupidity that comes along with that? I’m not very clearly articulating my point, but I hope it makes some sense.

Standing by for righteous indignation from the peanut gallery.

I don't mind the CC spots, and even 1Sgt spots--doubly so in front of the buildings they work out. 

It's the rest of the spots (5 GO , 3 Col , 3 CMSgt, 3 GS-XX) that were in front of the commissary, BX, gym that annoy the crap outta me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I can see having a spot for the squadron CC, Group CC, Wing CC in front of their own buildings. Our CC is in and out constantly with the constant bullshit and queep meetings. It’s gets excessive when every damn building on base has a reserved spot for Cols, Chiefs blah blah blah. Your not that important you can’t park in the back and walk 100ft to get your greasy golf course burger. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, 17D_guy said:

It's the rest of the spots (5 GO , 3 Col , 3 CMSgt, 3 GS-XX) that were in front of the commissary, BX, that annoy the crap outta me.

IMHO, the BX/Commissary reserved parking spots are primarily utilized by entitled spouses (typically older/large ladies). I haven't personally witnessed this same phenomena with the reserved parking spots at the GYM?

Oiy.  And this is why, @Danger41, I suggest eliminating all but lawfully required (handicap) designated parking.  If the WG/CC isn't being "shown respect" there are bigger issues, throwing rose petals before his feet isn't the solution.

If the number of times per day that a SQ/CC has to go out to their car in order to chase down queep is driving the proximity of their parking spot, the proximity of the parking spot is not the root cause of the DFP.

Edited by BFM this
  • Like 1

BFM quit your Root Cause analysis, the glare of truth data is far to bright for our eyes to handle and I rather just annoyingly point at something else that annoys me but has not bearing on any thing.  Plus if my SQ/CC isn't constantly going from one useless meeting to another what exactly will he be doing?  Communicating the issues to his squadron? Taking care of his people? Acting like a filter and buffer to all the bull$hit direct line of sight tasking from the Group level on up?  Crazy talk.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
Rejoice! The Pentagon Is Finally Ridding Itself Of The Horrendous Defense Travel System
https://taskandpurpose.com/pentagon-ditching-defense-travel-system/
Can we get a damn app for this and LeaveWeb please?

Pardon me if I refrain from rejoicing until we see how bad of an abortion the replacement system will be.

Oh wait, it’ll probably take 10 years until it actually comes online. I’ll be well into my post AF career at Home Depot by that point while they take another 5 years to work out the lowest-bidder, “wasn’t in the contract requirements” bugs.
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

On 7/3/2018 at 12:00 PM, BashiChuni said:

That’s great!

f the contract nazi flight attendants though. “Sorry sir you can’t sit there it’s for weight and balance purposes”

Doubly hilarious when they're saying that to a squadron full of flyers.

• Haha 1

On 8/16/2018 at 11:07 PM, HarleyQuinn said:

Rejoice! The Pentagon Is Finally Ridding Itself Of The Horrendous Defense Travel System

https://taskandpurpose.com/pentagon-ditching-defense-travel-system/

Can we get a damn app for this and LeaveWeb please?

Or..let’s do it the old way.  Hand your receipts and paper voucher to finance and you’re paid 3 days later. 

• Upvote 1

I guess I’m in the minority, but for the most part I don’t mind DTS itself too much.. it’s the having to find the right computer that it works on, entering my PIN 6-9 times, slowness of the network, connectivity issues and some of the JFTR/Finance policies themselves that are the problem..

my vouchers normally aren’t that tough or out of the ordinary. 

I guess I’m in the minority, but for the most part I don’t mind DTS itself too much.. it’s the having to find the right computer that it works on, entering my PIN 6-9 times, slowness of the network, connectivity issues and some of the JFTR/Finance policies themselves that are the problem..
my vouchers normally aren’t that tough or out of the ordinary. 

Go to Guam and cross the dateline a few times on a Coronet while dual billeted...
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't mind the CC spots, and even 1Sgt spots--doubly so in front of the buildings they work out. 
It's the rest of the spots (5 GO , 3 Col , 3 CMSgt, 3 GS-XX) that were in front of the commissary, BX, gym that annoy the crap outta me.

I don’t see what all the huff is about. We outrank first sergeants and Chiefs. Just saying. I seek out those parking spots.

10 hours ago, dream big said:

Or..let’s do it the old way.  Hand your receipts and paper voucher to finance and you’re paid 3 days later. 

Finance can't pay a voucher when 99% of the work is done for them in DTS within a week or let alone get it correct. What makes you think they'll be able to take it start to finish correctly in 3 days?

DTS is getting better, some of the screens like the per diem one have been reworked. But the requirement to login with a CAC on a windows pc must go. It’s 2018 and I can move $thousands of my own money around with my fingerprint.

Move DTS onto an iPad, use current location to check in and out of per diem locations, take photos of receipts, book flights/cars/hotels using personal cards and points programs.

1 minute ago, Majestik Møøse said:

Move DTS onto an iPad, use current location to check in and out of per diem locations, take photos of receipts, book flights/cars/hotels using personal cards and points programs.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

DTS is getting better, some of the screens like the per diem one have been reworked. But the requirement to login with a CAC on a windows pc must go. It’s 2018 and I can move $thousands of my own money around with my fingerprint.

Current location to check in and out? Why in God’s name would that be beneficial? No wifi in the lobby, now you’re wasting time tethering to your shitty T-mobile connection to log into DTS at alert. Good luck with the personal cards too (I’ve used mine when my GTC was declined or lost, but if you don’t have a good alibi you’re flirting with getting paperwork).

On that note though, now that Citi has adopted a political stance on gun sales, anyone know if that would be a valid reason to get the SJA office to write you a memo exempting you from GTC use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You raise a valid point, when businesses start to part time as political lobbies, there is definitely an eye brow raise when the government continues to do business with them. 

On another note, I do know one person who recieved paperwork for not using his GTC to pay for hotel. So it does happen. 

59 minutes ago, FLEA said:

On another note, I do know one person who recieved paperwork for not using his GTC to pay for hotel. So it does happen. 

PAPERWORK!?  I've never even heard of anyone being asked if they used their GTC.

5 minutes ago, dream big said:

Whatever, the risk is worth the sweet AMX points 

And there is your “good” thing about this extreme off topic.  Please keep it on point and carry on in the finance thread, or ClearedHots, “My Little Pony” thread. @ClearedHot

Edited by matmacwc

On 8/18/2018 at 11:36 AM, nunya said:

giphy.gif

You take her friend which is the grenade on your right and I will go left. READY, BREAK! 

I remember these ladies from the Walmart in Del Rio. Talking about classy with their box of wine on a Friday night. How do you know them (joking)?

Edited by HarleyQuinn