What is right with the Air Force

matmacwc

42 minutes ago, M2 said:

That ain't shit.  Earlier this year our PST files got schwacked.  Nearly 12 years of archived emails gone in a flash. 

Now the kicker, turned out our J6 wasn't backing them up...

IF you haven't looked at 12 years of emails to this point, you never would have.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, matmacwc said:

IF you haven't looked at 12 years of emails to this point, you never would have.

I did look at them, all the time.  While much of what we do is archived in our final reports and outbriefs, there was still a lot of mission info that resided in those emails.  I constantly got questions about details that I could find in those emails, but now they're gone. 

But not my problem, it was the government's responsibility to maintain those archives and now they've lost them.  I guess if Hillary could get away with it, they felt they could as well...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BFM this said:

You're being RIF'd?

No, we all still have 6-8 years left on our commitments depending on timing. UPT-D dudes got non vol to drones, did 2-3 years in drones and now all have to go back manned, some guys wanted to stay in drones for whatever reason, and were told no and are now being non vol back to manned. 

Im not one of those who wants to stay, but we are all about at that point we are getting upgrades to instructor and experienced in the community. No one really wanted to go drones, most of us tried are best and had good attitudes , I can’t immagine getting non vol to community, end up liking it and do really well, just to get non vol back to be a basic co pilot at square one. 

What are yalls opionions on the new my vector site? Us UPT-D guys are basically doing a FAIP drop to determine our futures, curious how this new system is being used. 

2 hours ago, M2 said:

I did look at them, all the time.  While much of what we do is archived in our final reports and outbriefs, there was still a lot of mission info that resided in those emails.  I constantly got questions about details that I could find in those emails, but now they're gone. 

But not my problem, it was the government's responsibility to maintain those archives and now they've lost them.  I guess if Hillary could get away with it, they felt they could as well...

Plus it's awesome to tell your coworkers, "yes, you did read that email and sent me a read receipt." Even 4 years later... 😄

12 hours ago, M2 said:

It is when the AF is the host, and own and run the networks...

Darn...so close.  Having dealt with these issues in the past, I wonder if the J6 went for funding the solution and no one wanted to pay or if this was just someone not doing their job.

In war on ‘queep,’ Air Force aims to give squadron commanders new weapons

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2018/06/18/in-war-on-queep-air-force-aims-to-give-squadron-commanders-new-weapons/

Queep example - WG/CC has every officer on the entire base fill out a court member data form. Who has the most officers? Flying squadrons. This WG/CC made a tough decision and probably loses sleep over queep. Definitely 2 star material for sure. How about a software program for JA to pull SURF and ribbon data into a format specifically for them? So I don't have to waste time filling this sh...t out.

Pilots, you can find the exit doors to your left and right, just follow the emergency lighting. Please put your masks on first before helping any of the Lts. Your seat cushion can be utilized as a floatation device if you want to float away from this constant BS!

Edited by HarleyQuinn
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, MDDieselPilot said:

Either my googling sucks or McGuire's PA just stopped showing up to work.. Either way, the AF nailed it with two new commanders there.  Marc Greene is running the 305 OG & Jim Kerley picked up the OSS.  Two of the best people and officers I've known.

Hopefully, the OG finds out what’s going on the KC-10 slide not inflating.

https://www.military.com/dodbuzz/2018/06/25/kc-10-ground-emergency-under-investigation-air-force-says.html

Edited by Azimuth

Daddy likes! The Air Force is arming pilots with this longer-range, stand-off rifle to use if they’re ever shot down.

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2018/06/28/the-air-force-is-arming-pilots-with-a-longer-range-stand-off-rifle-to-use-if-theyre-ever-shot-down/

Someone please tell Uncle Sam this does you no good if your leadership makes you fly with a reflective belt on in combat. After being shot down, an entire crew was repeatedly shot in their waists during a firefight at night with insurgents. They all forgot to take off their reflective belts which highlighted them for direct waist shots from the enemy.

Pararescue 1: How do we know which airmen to pickup? It's dark and the enemy is on top of them.

Pararescue 2: Just throw everyone into the helo who has a reflective belt on. 

Edited by HarleyQuinn

I like the fact that the people running the club put the movable placard in a spot that is already occupied in an ultimate blue falcon.

Also, kudos to the youn airman for pulling off the fadeaway buzzer beater of “uhhh...we were drunk and didn’t want to drive last night!”

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

This reminds me of last time we deployed. We took a 777 contracted rotator out to the desert.  All of us were waiting for hours of course in the pax terminal.  There was this sadistic Lt Col who was the deployment office chief.  She shrieked at us every 15 minutes about her arbitrary Nazi rules of when we could use the bathroom and get water, over the course of 3-4 hours. I’m not exaggerating when I say this lady’s yelling voice would make that Frau chick on Austin Powers cringe.

Finally, it was time to board. She said she’d board us by rank.  Lt Cols first, then Majors.  Us Captains figured we were next so we got ready. Then a twist.  Airmen next.  Then NCOs. Then SNCOs.  Ok, whatever lady, just let us on the damn plane so we can go to our desert paradise already.  Nope. Lts next.

Now it’s just the Captains.  When it’s just us and her, she gives us her SJW speech.  She says we are the group that typically comes first in the AF, so she boarded the plane to take care of the ranks that are typically not taken care of.  She said we should be happy to board last and take the worst seats.

After being locked in a warehouse for 4 hours needlessly, none of us were really in a mood for a lecture, but whatever.  We finally board the buses to the plane.

When we walk on the plane, the flight attendants point us towards first class.  The contract airline has a policy of filling the plane back to front.  So us entitied Captains all rode first class the whole way to the desert.

Best case of instant justice I’ve seen.  Though I’ve always regretted not taking a picture of all us Captains in first class and sending it to her with a thank you card.

Edited by flyusaf83
  • Like 12
  • Haha 5
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Majestik Møøse said:

I’m not sure why we don’t just erase all the reserved spots and just let the O-6s park curbside by the front door.

How about just erasing all reserved spots?  For leadership, reserved spots are antithetical to servant leadership and an embarrassment.   But the AF then goes full retard, not only duplicating higher leadership spots all over the base, even in parking challenged bases like Osan, but then doles out spots to favorite pets: CCE, CCS, GOV1, GOV2 etc.

...didn't someone write a paper on this?

A few years ago, I was TDY to Holloman.  The wg/cc spot at the commissary had a maternity parking sign covering the wg/cc sign.  Personally observed the wg/cc park in the back and walk.  Much respect.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BFM this said:

How about just erasing all reserved spots?  For leadership, reserved spots are antithetical to servant leadership and an embarrassment.   But the AF then goes full retard, not only duplicating higher leadership spots all over the base, even in parking challenged bases like Osan, but then doles out spots to favorite pets: CCE, CCS, GOV1, GOV2 etc.

...didn't someone write a paper on this?

I've been spending some time at Hurlburt AFB.  I haven't noticed one reserved spot for leadership at BX/Commissary/other only pregnant, purple heart and gold star.  I think there's was a Lt and E4 and below spot.

I'd like to say it didn't make me feel any different, it's just a parking spot...but it did.  Especially coming from San Antonio area w/ there myraids of reserved parking (GS-15? GTFOH) and Offutt (which I still love) and the GO/Col/GS-15/CMSgt parking.

• Like 1

To continue with the thread derail...

I guess I’m old school/a terrible leader because I think the parking spots for Wing CC and other leadership (not fucking GS-15 or CCE, my God) are good because it’s a respect thing. Is it the most efficient use of parking spaces? No. But I think there’s a huge lack of respect in the military/American culture now. The E-3 and below parking spot type thing annoys me because that kid earns a spot over the E-5 that is his supervisor? What about the E-7 first shirt in the AMU that deals with the unbelievable amount of stupidity that comes along with that? I’m not very clearly articulating my point, but I hope it makes some sense.

Standing by for righteous indignation from the peanut gallery.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4