What is right with the Air Force

matmacwc

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Azimuth said:

This was written by my old Squadron Commander at Altus.  He's the best Commander I ever had in 16-years.  He's one of the "good ones" and is definitely what is right with the Air Force.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/leaders-eat-last-do-still-park-closest-christopher-lanier/

For the love of all that's holy:  FUCK YES!!!

If I never see another CCS, CCM, CCBS parking spot, it will be too soon.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Azimuth said:

This was written by my old Squadron Commander at Altus.  He's the best Commander I ever had in 16-years.  He's one of the "good ones" and is definitely what is right with the Air Force.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/leaders-eat-last-do-still-park-closest-christopher-lanier/

One of the best sq/cc's I ever had refused to use his parking spot.  Our lot was too small for all the cars, and he'd frequently park in the alternate 'park and walk' lot because he didn't see himself as better than his Airmen.  That said, rather than let a prime spot go unused, he shared it as an incentive.  Superior performers id'd by him or the shirt would be given use of the spot for a month.  It wasn't much, but it was tangible and valued by the people in the organization.

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...

One U-2 squadron wants to be the Silicon Valley of the Air Force

”[Air Force Chief of Staff] Gen. [David] Goldfein has told me as a commander to get ready for the fight. I cannot succeed at the mission that he’s laid out for me if I wait on the Air Force to give me the answers,” Lt. Col. Matt Nussbaum, commander of the 99th Reconnaissance Squadron, told Defense News in a Nov. 30 interview at Beale AFB in California.

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2017/12/08/one-u-2-squadron-wants-to-be-the-silicon-valley-of-the-air-force/

• Upvote 1

On 9/9/2017 at 7:47 PM, Azimuth said:

Excellent article. This BS is the number one reason I absolutely F'ing hated the Navy. I started out in the canoe club and GTFO and went to the ANG as fast as possible. Trust me, this shit in the Air Force can't hold a candle to how bad it was (probably still is) in the Navy. Enlisted chow hall on a GD training base had a little section for E-4's and up to dine separately from the E-3 and below scum. Berthing area on the boat had an area in the E-6 and below berthing area for just E-6's. E-6's got head of the line for chow on the boat and, of course E-7-9 had their own chow hall exclusively for them. And, of course, the O's couldn't be seen eating with any E's. Yes, with real estate being a premium on a boat, let's all have our own private chow hall and sleeping places. I was stationed at NAS Oceana and we had an E-7 and up shitter (I shit you not). Working mids one night and a guy working with me had a case of the trots. It hit him and he took off headed to the toilet, realized he wasn't going to make it to the scumbag shitter further down the hall so he ducked into the E7 shitter. It was 1am and there was one E7 in the whole building...guess what, he just happened to go in while this poor E3 was having a blow out. This asshole waited outside until the kid came out and chewed his ass for taking a shit in his beloved E7 shitter. Rant over. I feel better now. Carry on.

And BTW, nice work by LTC Lee and the 62nd.

Edited by HerkFE
ETA nice words

• 4 weeks later...

This is good news for us w/ tons of Amn:

TL;DR - Enlisted Performance Reports are no longer required for regular Air Force Airmen in the grade of airman first class and below with less than 36 months’ Time-In-Service or Air Reserve Component Airmen below the grade of senior airman. 

http://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1407800/air-force-saves-airmen-time-no-longer-requires-first-year-evaluations/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 3 months later...

Another good one from Enlisted Jesus is the removal of practice bleeding via Course 14/15 for our NCO/SCNOs.  Don't know if you zipper-suited-sun-gods care that much, but over on the support side it's a big deal.  I had good folks get screwed because of the stupidity this caused when implemented.

CMSAF Wright has almost wiped out anything close to a legacy the idiot before him put in place.  Hope it burns.

• Upvote 3

So far I like what I see out of Chief Wright, he's seems to be bringing common sense back to the enlisted force which, for all I thought the Officer side was jacked up, it didn't hold a candle to the stupidity on the enlisted side. Wright should just automatically reverse any decision Cody made because there's a 99% it was probably a horrible decision.

Edited by Fuzz

5 hours ago, 17D_guy said:

Another good one from Enlisted Jesus is the removal of practice bleeding via Course 14/15 for our NCO/SCNOs.  Don't know if you zipper-suited-sun-gods care that much, but over on the support side it's a big deal.  I had good folks get screwed because of the stupidity this caused when implemented.

CMSAF Wright has almost wiped out anything close to a legacy the idiot before him put in place.  Hope it burns.

Of course we care, many of us zipper suited sun gods have enlisted aircrew and/or work in OSSs where we supervise enlisted folks.  Anything that allows them more time focusing on their primary job or more time with the family instead of idiotic PME is a win for everyone! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So I'm guessing my account hasn't been fully approved yet or something similar. Tried making a post but the site won't let me. I've been either TDY or deployed and cancelled every SOS class I've been signed up for. As a captain looking at pinning on major within a year how bad is this going to affect career options? Honestly not even considering 20 att but also hate closing unnecessary doors. 

So I'm guessing my account hasn't been fully approved yet or something similar. Tried making a post but the site won't let me. I've been either TDY or deployed and cancelled every SOS class I've been signed up for. As a captain looking at pinning on major within a year how bad is this going to affect career options? Honestly not even considering 20 att but also hate closing unnecessary doors. 

I went to sos after my majors board. As long as you go before the earliest pin-on date, you're good.

On 4/29/2018 at 2:48 PM, Fuzz said:

So far I like what I see out of Chief Wright, he's seems to be bringing common sense back to the enlisted force which, for all I thought the Officer side was jacked up, it didn't hold a candle to the stupidity on the enlisted side. Wright should just automatically reverse any decision Cody made because there's a 99% it was probably a horrible decision.

The problem with the Enlisted Corps is due to two things:

1. Chiefs think they're the ultimate authority.

2. Competent Officers/Commanders don't rein in the Chiefs from being stupid idea fairies.

Enlisted Jesus has been working overtime trying to help fix the Enlisted Corps and USAF from the two previous E-9's (Roy and Cody) that were before him. He's a good dude. 

2. Competent Officers/Commanders don't rein in the Chiefs from being stupid idea fairies.
Enlisted Jesus has been working overtime trying to help fix the Enlisted Corps and USAF from the two previous E-9's (Roy and Cody) that were before him. He's a good dude. 
It's funny because the previous Manager E9s took all the shit offices tried to get rid of (ex. Practice Bleeding) and put it on top of a stretched Force...

12 hours ago, Azimuth said:

Why don't people speak up? I don't have an E-9 in the squadron. But when our Senior starts acting like a Chief, I damn sure speak up utilizing a respectful tone. No rank should be exempt from a STFU moment, especially when an idea is pure garbage. As a prior, I feel the need to say something because as you gentlemen have noted some E-9s are on Gilligan's Island and there is no Ginger or Mary Ann in sight. When a SNCO is being dismissive (going old school) of great ideas during a meeting, they are suffering from spatial disorientation and you need to talk them back onto their instruments. If your CC will not speak up, please say something, but always do it with respect. Good Chiefs will understand and I want to think some of them still exist. 

Edited by HarleyQuinn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Why don't people speak up? I don't have an E-9 in the squadron. But when our Senior starts acting like a Chief, I damn sure speak up utilizing a respectful tone. No rank should be exempt from a STFU moment, especially when an idea is pure garbage. As a prior, I feel the need to say something because as you gentlemen have noted some E-9s are on Gilligan's Island and there is no Ginger or Mary Ann in sight. When a SNCO is being dismissive (going old school) of great ideas during a meeting, they are suffering from spatial disorientation and you need to talk them back onto their instruments. If your CC will not speak up, please say something, but always do it with respect. Good Chiefs will understand and I want to think some of them still exist. 

Why don't people speak up?  Because they know they'll be circumvented.  Got a Sq/CC you don't like?  Simple, talk to your Group Superintendent or even the Command Chief, you're in the Chief's club now.  They'll get counseled by their bosses, or worst case you PCS (remember, the Chief's Group controls your assignments and Commanders have no say in Enlisted assignments 69% of the time).

The Good Chiefs got out years ago, minus Enlisted Jesus. The current ones are trying to polish knobs so they can polish their resumes when they leave for the civilian sector.  I spent 16 years in the USAF and I have no fucking clue what a Command Chief does other than shake hands, follow the Wing CC around, and get blown by SNCO's, especially First Sergeants, for strats.

The blame for not keeping E-9s in their lane falls on the O-6s who empower them.