Pilot Dream (eyes that don't meet acuity standards)

Hello all, I am an avid "lingerer" of this forum and have a few questions about joining the ANG or AFRES as a pilot. I apologize if these questions have already been answered or I am posting in the wrong thread. I had no luck in my search and am seeking some guidance. 

I am a 24 yo graduate with an engineering degree from Texas A&M University and a little over 20 hours of flight time. I am on schedule to get my PPL by the end of the year, in the case my examiner doesn't bend me over on my check ride. Included in my package are many hours of leadership and volunteer experience. The bump that I have run into is the acuity of my eyes. I just went through my annual check up with my primary optometrist where I tested at 20/100.

1. Knowing the standard at MEPS is 20/70, will this be an issue if I am correctable to 20/20?

2. Knowing that the reserves has more of a "fraternity like culture", should I visit the unit and tell them my current situation?

3. Should I enlist to a unit and go the lasik route and hope I can get a waiver and commission?

4. If I do enlist, is it possible to commission before turning 28? 

I have family members/friends that are active duty pilots and have told me to go speak with the unit. Has anybody been faced with this hurdle? This can't be the end of the road. 

It doesn't sound like there's an acuity standard anymore, as long as the refractive error standards are met (page 9 in the link, toward the bottom).

Also, I think the standard waiting period for PRK/LASIK has been reduced to 6 months. Not a doctor, though. Gig 'em and good luck!

On 8/3/2017 at 11:41 AM, Woody15 said:

Hello all, I am an avid "lingerer" of this forum and have a few questions about joining the ANG or AFRES as a pilot. I apologize if these questions have already been answered or I am posting in the wrong thread. I had no luck in my search and am seeking some guidance. 

I am a 24 yo graduate with an engineering degree from Texas A&M University and a little over 20 hours of flight time. I am on schedule to get my PPL by the end of the year, in the case my examiner doesn't bend me over on my check ride. Included in my package are many hours of leadership and volunteer experience. The bump that I have run into is the acuity of my eyes. I just went through my annual check up with my primary optometrist where I tested at 20/100.

1. Knowing the standard at MEPS is 20/70, will this be an issue if I am correctable to 20/20?

Check out the numerous vision threads regarding this.

2. Knowing that the reserves has more of a "fraternity like culture", should I visit the unit and tell them my current situation?

The culture has nothing to do with vision standards or waiverability. They are also not the one's performing the medical evaluation. Unless they specifically require medical information for the board, there's no need to bring up anything. Read up on the vision standards, go see an optometrist or ophthalmologist and have them measure everything they can (i.e. not just visual acuity). If there is something found, you want to make sure you have the time to spare for corrective surgery and recovery (or, mandatory waiting period before evaluation). For example, something similar happened to me - found a problem after visiting my own eye doctor before I had everything ready to begin interviewing, got second opinions, had surgery. Took around 8 months from exam to surgery (found the best doctor and he was booked months in advance), plus 12 month waiting period before being eligible for examination for FC1. It's best to find this stuff out early on, rather than it become news at Wright-Patt, which would lead to something like the above timeline waiting around. Just something to consider. 

3. Should I enlist to a unit and go the lasik route and hope I can get a waiver and commission?

Enlisting in a unit for the purpose of it leading to a pilot slot is only beneficial in building a rapport and networking. You will have more opportunities to build relationships with people from all over the unit, to include the pilots and especially your workshop. When it comes time to interview, the board will have a lot more resources to consider when gauging how well of a fit you are for them. They may contact friends of friends that know you and your co-workers/supervisors. This can be your greatest advantage or your downfall. If you enlist in a unit for the sole purpose to better your odds at becoming a pilot, that is fine, however, do not make it your overt intention. In a career field like maintenance, if you show lack of caring to learn the job and excel at an acceptable rate because you are biding your time to interview and move on, it will be sniffed out from the start and linger over you. 

Refer to the above as far as reasons to enlist. If you do go that route, just know you may be looking at a very long process. You are 24 right now? If you were to enlist right now, you may be looking at 3-6 months before going to Basic Military Training. That is a 2 month course. After that, you may have a break in training before Tech School, depending on how much school is backed up. Mine was a 6 month break in training. Then, Crew Chief tech school was another 5 months before graduation and are sent back to the unit as a brand spanking new peon. That is when the work of creating a name for yourself and networking begins, just to better your chance at that one and only unit. I don't say any of this to deter you away from this option, it's just a reality to consider. That 1.5 years in the pipeline could have been spent interviewing with dozens of units all around the country. 

Also, you don't have to commission before turning 28. The rule states you have to start UPT no later than your 30th birthday. Most units just set the cutoff age to interview at 28 because between the time of selection and getting to UPT is roughly 1 year best case scenario. Some units do give out age waivers, but not all. 

I have family members/friends that are active duty pilots and have told me to go speak with the unit. Has anybody been faced with this hurdle? This can't be the end of the road. 

If you enlist and go into MX, be the best damn Crew Chief you can be, it will help you be a better pilot and officer. If your there as a means to an end, it will be sniffed out almost immediately . Remember your package goes through the MX Sq commander for signatures, if you don't give a damn about us why would we give a damn about you.  On a side note, us MX folk love it when we see one of our own jump through the hurdles to pin on pilot wings to get to fly the thing we work on.  Myself if would have had better vision in 1980, (nearsighted grizzly bear) I would have went to college instead of enlisting and went for a commission and a pilot slot.  

• Upvote 1

On 8/3/2017 at 0:41 PM, Woody15 said:

If your only eye problem is that you are 20/100, you are probably wasting your time worrying about it.  More than likely you meet standards.  I agree with BEEP, just go get an exam.  Post the numbers in the Aviation Medicine page and you will get feedback that may save you getting an eye surgery you likely don't need.

I went through this same process a decade ago, except I joined active duty.  You are making a better choice by choosing guard/reserve.  If you have your eyes checked and you have no other defect other than myopia (nearsighted), you will be fine.  I haven't dug into the medical standards reg in a while, but generally if you can pass navigator standards, which used to be 20/200 uncorrected, and are correctable to 20/20 then they will give you a distant visual acuity waiver.  You still have to meet depth perception and color vision standards.

If you want to be a pilot, my advice is to rush units you are interested in and keep working on your ratings in the process.  Enlisting is an option, but as you are aware there are timeline issues (unless you want to be an RPA pilot).  I would get your PPL, then work on your instrument and visit the units you are interested in as much as you can.  Good luck, and Gig 'Em.

I can't give you too much insight on the eye issue specifically, but I sat in almost your exact shoes 3 years ago (minus any of the eye stuff) and got picked up off the street by a Guard unit. 

Feel free to PM me with any questions about the application/hiring process.

Gig 'Em

• 6 months later...

Refraction limits are in the Waiver Guide. Up to -1.5 diopters no Waiver. Up to -3.0 diopters Waiverable. Can confirm the PRK waiver is 6 months. I had it done. If you end up needing it shoot me a PM and I’ll give you the low down.