Hello all, I'm a junior in college at a collegiate aviation program and was looking for info on joining an ANG unit(possibly Navy also). I have 3.5 GPA, about 200 hours, CFI, ME, IR, I have not taken ASTB or AFOQT yet but I have started studying(a little). Is this somewhat competitive? I have heard having prior flight experience is a huge help. Can I apply to out of state units? I assume fighter units are much more competitive than tanker/airlift. If anybody has any advice or info that'd be great. 

Keep reading on here and use the search function!  These questions have all been asked and answered several times.  The info is out there, do the research! 

Got to get scores on the tests before anyone can say whether you are competitive.  So far, so good but the scores matter. 

On 8/2/2017 at 9:40 PM, Judgesmails said:

Hello all, I'm a junior in college at a collegiate aviation program and was looking for info on joining an ANG unit(possibly Navy also). I have 3.5 GPA, about 200 hours, CFI, ME, IR, I have not taken ASTB or AFOQT yet but I have started studying(a little). Is this somewhat competitive? I have heard having prior flight experience is a huge help. Can I apply to out of state units? I assume fighter units are much more competitive than tanker/airlift. If anybody has any advice or info that'd be great. 

Echo what Evil said.  Will add that yes, you can apply to any ANG/AFRES unit you want.  Most people send apps to several units, if not every single unit.  It helps to have local ties or a logical reason why you are applying at that unit, as most units have been burned by the guy who applies, gets hired, then bolts for his hometown unit 6.9 months after finishing training.  Not sure that a huge amount of flight time beyond PPL is all that big a factor, at least at my unit.  Soloing and having a license show aptitude.  The AF can teach the rest. More important is not being a dick.  The AD boards are all about scores and GPA but in my experience the ANG is much more concerned with personality and fit.

• Upvote 1

On 8/2/2017 at 9:40 PM, Judgesmails said:

I just got done (somewhat) with the process it sounds like you are starting. I wish I would have taken the AFOQT sooner so that I could have started to throw my package out to ANG units that came open sooner than I did. I took the AFOQT fall of my senior year. Like the others have said, most of the answers you are looking for are somewhere buried on this website. Your GPA is avg from what I saw at the fighter units I applied. I applied to Oregon, Indiana, DC, South Carolina, and Ohio (heavies). I would study for the AFOQT and take as many practice tests as you can find on the internet. That avenue seemed to help me the most. As for the competitiveness, heavies are MUCH less competitive than fighters (no explanation needed). If you truly want fighter's you won't settle. That being said, heavies are not necessarily 'easy' to get by any means. Having flight experience seemed to help a little, although I saw guys with lower hours get picked up before I did. I met guys with anywhere from 1-3000+ hours. Most seemed to have at least a PPC. Bergman nailed it about ANG units and personality. Don't be someone you're not. The social events are just as important as the actual interview in my mind. Your numbers get you the interview, your personality gets you the slot. Main thing is to stay focused on what you want. I met guys that have been sending out packages for almost 2 years to fighter units. I got lucky in about 5 months. You'll meet all sorts of guys in the circuit. Most of them are pretty cool and easy to get along with but there are some of the frat guy, brown-nosing type. Hope this helps, good luck man!

On 8/2/2017 at 8:40 PM, Judgesmails said:

Getting your foot in the door and getting your name known as an enlisted guy before commissioning in the Guard will be an advantage. Put yourself in their shoes - who would you rather hire all things being equal: the guy that's already a member of the wing that has shown a commitment to the wing's mission and is known; or some dude off the streets no one knows?