Customs and Border Protection Air Interdiction Agent

RW_LEO

Initially, you will be assigned to a UAS location. All of our UAS locations have manned aircraft and all AIA's are required to maintain flight proficiency; not just currency. I have no idea what "proficiency" equates to in flight hours. I am not a UAS pilot and would probably not accept assignment to a UAS station as a manned aircraft pilot.

If interested, send me a message and I will get you in touch with someone at the branch. I do not want to give you bad information.

Edited by RW_LEO

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, airsigncutter said:

All of the directed relocations were to McAllen, Laredo, or Puerto Rico. It is my understanding that all three pilots in Montana resigned instead of accepting the relocation.

Shocking.  Again, the vast majority of prior military pilots who have other decent options (airlines, medflights, etc) aren't begging to have these federal flying jobs.  

• 2 months later...
On 10/6/2017 at 4:46 PM, soupafly06 said:

With CBP allowing up to 1250 hours of MQ time to count toward flying your totals, will pilots with mostly MQ time be made to fly MQ only or will manned fixed wing be an option?

Our unmanned locations do have manned aircraft; 206 and maybe an AS350. As a MQ pilot with 1250 hours, I assume the expectation is you fly UAS for CBP for a few years. Some commands at the UAS locations have been rotating their pilots in manned aircraft to ensure they maintain proficiency in the aircraft.  Additionally, I heard some UAS locations are beginning to send their pilots to busier SW Border locations to get RW or FW flight time. This is a 3-5 day TDY and is dependent on operational requirements.

I am at a manned location and do not want to speculate further about the climate, flight hours, etc for our unmanned locations. If you are interested, send me a message and I will gladly get you in touch with an agent at one of these locations. Once you have the facts, you can make an education decision for you and the family (If applicable). 

Edited by RW_LEO

• 1 month later...

No, if you are a veteran you can apply at any age. One consideration, you have to complete 20-years of law enforcement (LE) service to receive a 34% LE Federal Retirement. If you do not complete 20-years, you are entitled to 1% per year plus any active duty years you buyback into FERS. Ex: 10-years CBP plus 10 years of active duty buyback equals 20% of your high three. This retirement is in addition to any military retirement you receive. Since you mentioned you are a reservist, I am making the assumption you will not have an active duty retirement? If you do, the math changes.  

I recommend everyone apply one year from your availability date. Unfortunately, many applicants do not make it past the polygraph or flight check. Apply early, determine your eligibility, and decide if CBP is the best career for you and if applicable, your family. 

Let me know what other questions you have. 

No, if you are a veteran you can apply at any age. One consideration, you have to complete 20-years of law enforcement (LE) service to receive a 34% LE Federal Retirement. If you do not complete 20-years, you are entitled to 1% per year plus any active duty years you buyback into FERS. Ex: 10-years CBP plus 10 years of active duty buyback equals 20% of your high three. This retirement is in addition to any military retirement you receive. Since you mentioned you are a reservist, I am making the assumption you will not have an active duty retirement? If you do, the math changes.  
I recommend everyone apply one year from your availability date. Unfortunately, many applicants do not make it past the polygraph or flight check. Apply early, determine your eligibility, and decide if CBP is the best career for you and if applicable, your family. 
Let me know what other questions you have. 

Is the polygraph unlimited in scope? How hard can that or a checkride be? Is the issue the quality of applicants or is the screening really that stringent?

DHS created a webpage to answer questions about the polygraph: https://www.cbp.gov/careers/car/poly

Our current polygraph has received a lot of criticism and is currently under review: http://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/329003-dhs-chief-eyes-changes-to-polygraph-system

The checkride is a commercial FAA checkride using PTS standards, a checkride most have successfully completed multiple times. It is conducted in a AS350 or EC120 for helicopter pilots and a C206 for fixed-wing pilots. Most applicants have never flown either aircraft, that is taken into consideration. We use the same instructors for all applicant checkrides and the program is heavily standardized. My opinion, the majority of applicants who have problems are military pilots who have always flown in a crewed aircraft. Unfamiliar aircraft, stress of a checkride, and unfamiliar with single pilot resource management, many applicant failures (the few I know of) result from problems with instrument maneuvers; descend below MDA's or problems with the hold. 

Edited by RW_LEO

On 9/23/2017 at 11:28 PM, Metalswarm said:

Hello all! I'd like to know what the typical day of rotary wing flight is like? Do you essentially have a patrol route? Flight modes? I'd assume mostly VFR. Thanks for any insight!

AIA's are scheduled 5-days a week for a total of 8-hours each day. Depending on your branches operational requirements, and sometimes personal preference, you might work 0600-1400, 0800-1600, or 1600-2400. Very few locations work Mid-0800, might be a few though? 

Your other questions are very dependent on your location and their mission. Many of our Southwest locations conduct patrols supporting Border Patrol, our urban locations (Chicago, Long Island, Houston) will support other federal partners with investigative support. Air and Marine supports many federal, state and local law enforcement agencies. DEA, ATF, State Police/Trooper, etc. My location supports national special security events; Super Bowl, United Nations, etc. Maritime locations support drug enforcement from the Caribbean, South America, etc. We have King Air 350's with special maritime radar and other manned and unmanned fixed wing aircraft designed for the interdiction mission. There is a lot of mission diversity in the agency and a lot of opportunity for agents to experience different modes of flight and mission sets throughout their career. 

Our current policy is that everyone must start in the Southwest (SW) border. Operationally, the SW is our main effort and by default gets personnel, aircraft, and additional operational support. 

Please post any additional questions you have. If interested, send me an email at rw_leo@outlook.com and I can submit your application. Do not use USAJOB's, it is very slow and the post-application service is not great. Below is a pic from this years support bowl. 

6332e477-b29d-433d-8348-eb86fa411e33.jpg

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:57 PM, RW_LEO said:

AIA's are scheduled 5-days a week for a total of 8-hours each day. Depending on your branches operational requirements, and sometimes personal preference, you might work 0600-1400, 0800-1600, or 1600-2400. Very few locations work Mid-0800, might be a few though? 

Tucson has a grave shift. San Diego may also, at least they used to.  A number of branches used to run graves, now even if they wanted to, they don't have the manpower to.

Edited by MD

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to add my 2 cents on the AIA positions. 

Just hit my 5 year mark. I started out at one of the SW border location, and was able to transfer to a much better location after 4.5 years.

I know most of this talk has been about flying; however, there is the an LE aspect to this job as well. The LE aspect of this jobs is what I enjoy the most. I work on the investigations side. Some of the work I have been able to do: been on the ground with our investigative partners serving search and arrest warrants, installed covert camera systems to further investigations, seized aircraft that have been involved in smuggling or other violations, cyber investigations and lots of training opportunities. 

I will tell you that i have had 2 very good supervisors that look out for their guys and has tried their best to shield us from a lot of the BS. The investigations side tends to be a small group of guys, so we have been pretty tight knit.

When I first started this job, I wasn’t sure I would make it to year 2, I was ready to move on. However, I found a niche I that I enjoyed and no one else wanted to do... things turned around. 

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:05 PM, CD512 said:

I just wanted to add my 2 cents on the AIA positions. 

Just hit my 5 year mark. I started out at one of the SW border location, and was able to transfer to a much better location after 4.5 years.

I know most of this talk has been about flying; however, there is the an LE aspect to this job as well. The LE aspect of this jobs is what I enjoy the most. I work on the investigations side. Some of the work I have been able to do: been on the ground with our investigative partners serving search and arrest warrants, installed covert camera systems to further investigations, seized aircraft that have been involved in smuggling or other violations, cyber investigations and lots of training opportunities. 

I will tell you that i have had 2 very good supervisors that look out for their guys and has tried their best to shield us from a lot of the BS. The investigations side tends to be a small group of guys, so we have been pretty tight knit.

When I first started this job, I wasn’t sure I would make it to year 2, I was ready to move on. However, I found a niche I that I enjoyed and no one else wanted to do... things turned around. 

Sound like you'd make a good Sup.......or acting Sup, since everyone from the top down in the agency seems to be acting positions and not designated to the actual jobs in this agency.

Edited by MD

Besides the SW border and PR, I notice St. Thomas V.I. is also listed on the announcement (Caribbean branch). Is that also a hard to fill locale or how difficult is that for newbies to get? I understand about the drastic tax situation PR poses and the like, but the wife has some job prospects there (both PR & St. Thomas), and wouldn't be bad for a few years I don't think.

I'm thinking about throwing my name into the hat. I'm a current DoD federal civilian (8 yrs) so I already understand a lot of the gov't BS a lot of people reference on forums (mandatory trainings, politics, and the like), so that wouldn't be a blindside for me, as I'm used to it by now 😳 Just trying to weigh some options at this time.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/27/2018 at 5:01 PM, jmd4j said:

Besides the SW border and PR, I notice St. Thomas V.I. is also listed on the announcement (Caribbean branch). Is that also a hard to fill locale or how difficult is that for newbies to get? I understand about the drastic tax situation PR poses and the like, but the wife has some job prospects there (both PR & St. Thomas), and wouldn't be bad for a few years I don't think.

I'm thinking about throwing my name into the hat. I'm a current DoD federal civilian (8 yrs) so I already understand a lot of the gov't BS a lot of people reference on forums (mandatory trainings, politics, and the like), so that wouldn't be a blindside for me, as I'm used to it by now 😳 Just trying to weigh some options at this time.

St Thomas V.I. is a marine location, not air. The only air location in the Caribbean is Aguadilla, PR. One advantage to your situation is the retirement. I assume you are in the Federal Employee Retirement System (FERS)? If yes, all your years transfer at no additional cost. 

If you have active duty military time, you can buy back each year at 1% into FERS. I can provide you references for the benefit and cost of buying back your active duty years. If interested in applying, please contact me at rw_leo@outlook.com. Do not go through USAJOBs, I will apply for you. It is much easier and I am able to get feedback from the hiring center. Good luck.  

Edited by RW_LEO

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

What is the average time it takes to get a position at the more desirable locations such as San Diego, Jacksonville, or Miami?  

Also, for the military folks, if you have a TS/SCI and move to a billet only requiring Secret (so you remain TS/SCI eligible but are Secret), do you remain eligibility’s now for a polygraph waiver?

I’m debating between the service aspect and the airline pay for my family’s quality of life.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I hold a commercial pilot certificate in both single and multi engine. Additionally, I have a King Air 300 SIC type rating, and I also have a CFI/CFII, and soon I will get an AMEI (hopefully). I have close to a 1000 hours of total time all in fixed wing aircraft. I am a veteran (five and half years in the Navy) with over ten years of law enforcement experience at the local level (Sheriff Department). I just started the hiring process. My research indicates that although BP and Customs have combined their air assets, it seems that one will either be hired as a BP pilot or an AIA. If my assertion is right, how do they determined which agency one will be flying for? After the academy, what are the chances of me flying either a King Air (either the 200 or 300 series), a Citation, a Pilatus, or even the Dash 8 (without having to relocate to PR although I am willing to relocate to the southern border)? Where are these fixed-wing assets located? Will the agency pay for me to get a rotary wing add-on? And if so, what is the likelihood of that? Your information is appreciated and thank you in advance.

There are no BP pilots. Haven"t been since the merger. AMO provides the air for BP. What you will fly depends on what is at the location you get assigned, as not all locations have the same assets. RW transition depends on the need of the location you are at also.

Over on APC the RUMINT is you're getting a C206 or a UAV, since that's what permeates the souther border locales that are taking new hires. No PC-12 or King airs in new hire location. Apparently them footing the bill for heavy rotorwing might also be a bit of a pipedream.  So if you aren't willing to go to PR, you're gonna get offered a UAV more likely.

The CBP route doesn't sound like a good place if you're looking for turbine FW time. That job sounds more compatible for someone who simply wants a fed job in these depressed economic communities for family/related reasons. Regionals or part 135 might offer better conduits to FW time if that's what you're after. Otherwise stay in ground pound law enforcement, get a retirement, then go play regional airline pilot in your 40s and 50s. Good luck!

• 2 months later...
On 12/17/2018 at 5:33 PM, Jim4sparks said:

Can you give some insight on living conditions in Puerto Rico?  What is the availability of housing?  How are the taxes?  How is the leadership?  

The place is run by lifer locals mostly. Taxes and COL are sticker shock for most gringos. The weather is great if you are from the Caribbean or have that Kenny Chesney "affinity" for Caribbean living as an anglo.

Housing is expensive and different (concrete construction, not wood, AC is generally modular, not central), electricity and water costs will knock your socks back so get accustomed to ceiling fans. These days the economy is so depressed with the looming Title III case and all the churn due to Hurricane Maria that you could snag a semi decent deal on a little hacienda in the outskirts. Aguadilla housing (my old man's hometown and my summer home growing up) is generally pretty cheap compared to the more urbanized areas like San Juan, which is a concrete jungle by the interior island's standards.

Problem with PR housing is you'll get your a$$ handed to ya on resale. Things are not going to improve for at least 10 years, so if you going down there for a career you better have family reasons. As you probably surmise I'm originally from the place, and I bailed after high school before the second diaspora started in earnest. It will always be home, but it's not a good place to economically prosper, if you want to have something better than social security retirement that is.

I suppose it would be a good springboard to other positions within federal service. This is not unique to CBP/AMOC critters. ATC, civilian pilot time builders, lawyers working for the fed, everybody uses PR as an entry way and "mini vacation" while junior in career, then they all bail back to the mainland when the transfer opportunity presents itself. From that perspective, all the economic negatives become a non-issue since you're not spending more than 5 years there anyways. Certainly better way to spend your low paid "juniority" years than sucking hind teet in provebial McAllen or Laredo. You do lose some constitutional rights as a US citizen establishing residency on a colony. Send me a PM for more on that, lest the MAGA crowd on here gets triggered about it.

Again, for locals or family ties lifers, it's a no-brainer. My cousin from another mother employed a dude last year (part 91 management company, prior 135 certificate) who no kidding commuted from SJU to a Republic regional FO job in IND for 5 years. Obviously that didn't pan out so well (dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life actually), so he threw in the towel and flying down there full time but at least gets to bang the esposa more often. The place is like hotel california, you can check out any time you like, but you[r heart] can never leave! 😄

PM me if you want the specifics of how taxes work for a federal worker in PR. Bottom line, it's not a favorable tax situation, but it's a sunk cost if you wanna live down there and have an employer whose check actually doesn't bounce...oh wait we shut down the government over the holidays never mind! LOL

Good luck.

• 4 months later...

Anyone know if it's possible to cross train to Rotary if you have a commercial multi in fixed wing with a CFII?  

Also have there been any updates on the updated polygraph test since they where getting so many failures?  I've found a few articles pointing out changes but they go back to Aug 2018 and can't find anything more current than that to know if the standards have changed or will be changing.

Thanks!