Holloman AFB

YoungnDumb

A quick search didn't show any results for info concerning Holloman, so I'm starting a new thread.

Wife and I are headed to Holloman in a few months for B-Course and are trying to figure out whether to live on/off base and if off, where the good places to live are, as well as any useful info for the local area.

Las Ventanas still is alright. Brown Bag deli is a good sandwich shop, Mad Jacks Mountain Top BBQ is the best BBQ I have ever had. It's a 20 minute drive from town up in the mountains in cloudcroft. Other than that, Las Crusas or El Paso are your best bet for good eats. Lots of good outdoor stuff at Holloman though 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, matmacwc said:

When they ask who wants to switch to Tucson for the B course on your first day, do it.

Tucson is a great town.  We really enjoyed our time there.

Edited by FlyLow

1 hour ago, HU&W said:

What about that German place right off base?  Doner?  That wasn't bad.

That closed. Replaced by a joke of a  "strip" club. As for Mad Jack's BBQ I've had way better in Tx, Ar, and Tn (Memphis). It's not bad but there is better places out there. But that's my opinion. 

There is a lot of outdoor stuff to do there. We stayed at Las Ventanas with a lot of the married studs going through the RPA school house. There are a few crash pads there. Shouldn't have a hard time finding a long term rental there either. I ended up getting my commercial glider license while I was there with the glider club.  Great group of folks to fly with. 

18 hours ago, cragspider said:

That closed. Replaced by a joke of a  "strip" club. As for Mad Jack's BBQ I've had way better in Tx, Ar, and Tn (Memphis).

That sux.  I agree about Mad Jack's.  Mediocre compared to any of the Texas legends (Franklin, Kreuz, etc...).  

• 3 months later...