UPT and Reserve TDY pay

So I've been trying to figure out my pay during OTS, UPT, and as a traditional reservist. Forgive me if some of these questions sound dumb, coming from the civ word and still figuring out the mil pay structure. Wondering If any one still in UPT, or just finished could give me an idea to some of the questions below.

My civ employer offer's differential pay for long term and short term deployments. They consider anything under 30 days short term and over 30 days extended. They only pay dif pay for 12 months of any extended deployment. Question: Will OTS and UPT be separate orders? Or will I be considered "deployed" from day 1 of OTS until I become a traditional reservist? To take advantage of this benefit I need to submit a LES, is that the mil version of a monthly pay statement? 

Also what is pay like throughout UPT? I've looked at the pay charts and know basic pay for a O-1 is roughly 36k a year. But what else it included, like Basic Allowance for Subsistence? or Aviation Career Incentive Pay? 

Whats pay like for a fresh Lt after a 2 week TDY?  For the dif pay stated above, they only allow 30 days of short term deployment dif pay in any calendar year. I suspect (or at least hope) I will be flying more than 30 days a year, so i'm trying to figure out if a 2 week TDY is comparable to half a months salary for me.

Thanks in advance for any input from the guys that have recently done this. I'm just trying to get ahead of what the situation financially will be before i step into training and start going full speed.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Heavywanabe said:

My civ employer offer's differential pay for long term and short term deployments. They consider anything under 30 days short term and over 30 days extended. They only pay dif pay for 12 months of any extended deployment. Question: Will OTS and UPT be separate orders?

IT depends on your unit, ask them, I've seen it both ways.

Or will I be considered "deployed" from day 1 of OTS until I become a traditional reservist? To take advantage of this benefit I need to submit a LES, is that the mil version of a monthly pay statement? 

You are not "deployed" to OTS or UPT, but I would still submit your Leave and Earnings (LES) to your employer.

Also what is pay like throughout UPT? I've looked at the pay charts and know basic pay for a O-1 is roughly 36k a year. But what else it included, like Basic Allowance for Subsistence? or Aviation Career Incentive Pay? 

Base pay, basic allowance for housing (BAH), basic allowance for substance (BAS) and your flight pay after you hit the flight line.  Its more than 36, more like 45K

Whats pay like for a fresh Lt after a 2 week TDY?  For the dif pay stated above, they only allow 30 days of short term deployment dif pay in any calendar year. I suspect (or at least hope) I will be flying more than 30 days a year, so i'm trying to figure out if a 2 week TDY is comparable to half a months salary for me.

Your regular pay plus per diem, about 50 bucks a day depending on location.

Thanks in advance for any input from the guys that have recently done this. I'm just trying to get ahead of what the situation financially will be before i step into training and start going full speed.  

2 hours ago, Bauwse said:

To piggy back off of this: if we are Guard and have a 3 month gap between OTS and UPT, do we need to take leave or can we just go back to our civilian jobs for the time being?

Youll have separate orders... in between, you'll be off orders.  No need to take leave.  Go back to your civ job.

Once you start UPT, however, expect to stay on orders.  If theres any gaps between UPT,IFF, B-Course, you'll just stay there and get Break in Training (BIT) rides.  And sandbag.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Heavywanabe said:

So I've been trying to figure out my pay during OTS, UPT, and as a traditional reservist. Forgive me if some of these questions sound dumb, coming from the civ word and still figuring out the mil pay structure. Wondering If any one still in UPT, or just finished could give me an idea to some of the questions below.

My civ employer offer's differential pay for long term and short term deployments. They consider anything under 30 days short term and over 30 days extended. They only pay dif pay for 12 months of any extended deployment. Question: Will OTS and UPT be separate orders? Or will I be considered "deployed" from day 1 of OTS until I become a traditional reservist? To take advantage of this benefit I need to submit a LES, is that the mil version of a monthly pay statement? 

I see most of your questions addressed above, I think I can add a couple notes:

- As a Reservist, you'll funnel through the 340th. They'll do their best to keep you on orders continuously from the start of OTS to finishing B-course & SERE. I'd say not to plan to PCS or otherwise return home (holidays notwithstanding) till all of that is over. This is different than how it used to be and different from how the Guard does things.

- Remember entitlements are non-taxable (BAH, BAS, and flight pay). You won't get BAS at OTS. OTS you'll be paid as an E5. Your O1 pay starts after. 

- I'm also a reservist and my company also does some differential pay. LES is all that was needed. YMMV

5 hours ago, rancormac said:

Youll have separate orders... in between, you'll be off orders.  No need to take leave.  Go back to your civ job.

Once you start UPT, however, expect to stay on orders.  If theres any gaps between UPT,IFF, B-Course, you'll just stay there and get Break in Training (BIT) rides.  And sandbag.

This is not necessarily true. In my case (guard rotary) I took essentially back to back orders from OTS to UPT. However I have had bad experiences during UPT having to come off orders briefly (which causes all kinds of crap to happen like my daughter taken out of daycare, spouse CAC card expires preventing her from getting on base, triggers on base housing to kick you out, etc.) Another issue I've run into is since our IQT schoolhouse is so backed up, I'll be sitting without any flying for minimum 6months. My unit is trying to work in SERE and downtime orders to mitigate the BIT and at least keep me paid but it's been a last minute scramble. Hopefully this doesn't come across as contrarian or whiney, I'm just trying to illustrate to OP that what is expected to happen doesn't always happen...e.g. there is always the risk of coming off orders unexpectedly, extended breaks in training with no pay, stuff like that. 

• Upvote 1

work with your unit.  ask them.  if you would rather come off orders in between to go back to civ job, you prob can.  if you want to stay on bit orders in between for a few months, you prob can.

• 3 months later...

I realize I am late to this conversation, but keep in mind training orders are not a "deployment". Depending on your employer's policies, this may or may not make the difference on whether you receive differential pay. I am enlisted ANG and work for a public safety department. My city's policy specifically states they only pay differential pay for deployments in support of an executive order (in other words, overseas to a combat zone). Confirm with your HR.