AFRES Cat E Promotions

On 3/29/2019 at 4:22 PM, Gazmo said:

Thanks! Good info. So.... I was sifting the internet for some IMA vacancies and found one near me that sounds relatively interesting. It's a 40 min drivable commute (same as my Cat E option). Non-flying. 24 IDT/14 AT (quite standard for IMA). They want an O-4 rated officer (pilot). Obviously no promotion potential. I am leaning toward IMA just because I get pay, bennies and retirement points instead of just points. The downside is, if I go that route, I may kiss O-5 goodbye. Not really too big of a deal for me really. It will probably be about $300 a month difference when I retire. My biggest concern is getting the F out of the operational world NOW for QOL and I think I am willing to forego the promotion.

Any suggestions? How long could I stay IMA as an O-4? I am at 16.5 years of service right now.

What's the best way to find IMA jobs?  I found the ones on AFPC Secure, of which, a lot of them don't have any contact info other than "volunteer for this vacancy."  Also, I imagine there are other part time IMA jobs out there that aren't listed on that website, but could be found elsewhere as you "sift the internet?"  Looking for something obviously that doesn't require a large commitment in time.

On 11/10/2019 at 4:13 PM, isuguy1234 said:

What's the best way to find IMA jobs?  I found the ones on AFPC Secure, of which, a lot of them don't have any contact info other than "volunteer for this vacancy." 

MyPers and that network you've been building for the last 12 years.  Sorry, no secret database.  Talk to any of your buddies at the big staffs.  Almost always an IMA opening floating around at Scott, Robins, Langley, etc.

Here's the directions, though, for Det 5 (AFRC).  It's not the "Volunteer" button.  Other Dets will have their own processes. 

Edited by nunya

• 4 months later...

Hey Guys, 

I found this thread while trying to educate myself on the inter webs regarding ALO duty.  I know what ALOs do, etc, but I'm trying to figure out which category/status of ALO I could be...

-2008 AFROTC Grad

-9.5 years of Active Duty, non rated.  Was selected for Major a few days after I dropped my papers to separate.  Decided to continue with the separation as a Captain.

-Separated 1 Feb 2018 - So I have been out for just over 2 years now.  Because I served beyond my initial commitment from AFROTC, I separated cold turkey without any IRR status.  

I'm interested in joining the ALO ranks.  One because I love the mission of the job, and two because I'd like to earn points towards a retirement at age 60 (I'm currently 34).  

Would I be eligible to join as a Cat E ALO?  Or would I need to join in some other status?  

I am not currently a part of any reserve or guard unit in another role, but that is also something I am considering.  Just miss the uniform enough, and would rather not through away the opportunity to finish the job and get some sort of a check at age 60.  

Thank you so much for your input.

Dave