Questions on applying for pilot slots w/ Reserves and Guard

Flyboy89

Question

Hi All,

Have some questions regarding pilot slots for the ANG/AFR. Up until this point, I was looking to go AD for a pilot slot if I was picked up through a rated board however; I have decided Reserves/Guard may be better suited for me....mostly that I get to choose which airframe to fly. I just do not know where to start. I am currently 27 and retesting on the AFOQT Aug 4th for a higher score. My plan was to then work with the line office recruiter to prep my package for the next rated board, which I believe is this fall.

For the Guard/Reserves, what do I need to do after taking my AFOQT and getting good scores? Do I then need to find another recruiter or is it as simple as seeking out squadrons on https://bogidope.com, prepping a package and sending it off in the hopes that I get an interview? My confusion lies with sponsored versus unsponsored. I assume sponsored is when you get the interview with a squadron, they select you and send you off to UPT for training.  Whats the unsponsored route look like then for Reserves/Guard? I do just send in a package to a Guard/Reserves recruiter and go up for that board? That part is a gray area I cannot seem to piece together

Sorry for all the questions, trying to get all the specifics ironed out asap since my age is against me here. 

3 answers to this question

After retaking the AFOQT, you'll need to also take the TBAS to gain your PCSM score. I called up a ROTC program at a nearby university to set it up through them.

For Guard, you'll follow the instructions for what the unit wants included in the application package and ship/email it directly to them without the help of a recruiter. My advice would be to scatter-shoot applications and take as many interviews as possible, since you don't have a lot of time to be very picky with locations and airframes. Guard does not do unsponsored boards. If you have the time and means, make sure to finish your PPL, since most folks I had met on the interview circuit have this in common with one another.

I haven't been through the Reserves process, but I do know you work with a Reserves recruiter for unsponsored boards. I believe for the sponsored route, you meet a board after getting sponsored by a unit, and from there you'll find out if you're a "select" or not. Hopefully someone can chime in that has experience on the Reserves side.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, cagg011 said:

After retaking the AFOQT, you'll need to also take the TBAS to gain your PCSM score. I called up a ROTC program at a nearby university to set it up through them.

For Guard, you'll follow the instructions for what the unit wants included in the application package and ship/email it directly to them without the help of a recruiter. My advice would be to scatter-shoot applications and take as many interviews as possible, since you don't have a lot of time to be very picky with locations and airframes. Guard does not do unsponsored boards. If you have the time and means, make sure to finish your PPL, since most folks I had met on the interview circuit have this in common with one another.

I haven't been through the Reserves process, but I do know you work with a Reserves recruiter for unsponsored boards. I believe for the sponsored route, you meet a board after getting sponsored by a unit, and from there you'll find out if you're a "select" or not. Hopefully someone can chime in that has experience on the Reserves side.

Thank you! So if I am trying to get a sponsored board with the Reserves, my first action after getting AFOQT/TBAS retested would then be to network with local Reserve units in the likes that they want to sponsor and send me to UPT. So for sponsored, it sounds like no Reserves recruiter is needed, just for unsponsored there is? 

What are the differences between the AFR and the ANG in regards to pilot selection, training, etc? Is one better than the other in regards to a career choice? 

In general it is said that the Guard lifestyle is a little better than Reserves in that the reserves are more similar to the AD culture. Guard is perceived to be more "relaxed" although YMMV depending on unit and frankly anywhere you go you'll still have to deal with most of the queep.

Regarding your original question, cagg011 pretty much said it. Sponsored/unsponsored is an AFRES thing. Sponsored means you find a unit that wants you (you court them the same way as the Guard process) and they sponsor you for a specific airframe and location when you are done, unsponsored means you put in a packet to Big Blue and they will flip the coin and find you a unit when you come out the other end of pilot training (or you can use your time shopping for a unit once in flight school, which is fairly typical).

• Like 1