Stars In my Eyes Pilot Candidate Set me straight.

Good Morning,

I have been lurking here for a while. I am your typical stars in your eyes pilot select getting ready for OTS. Looking forward to flying. I am an accountant and have been in the professional world about 6 years, and no work is a 4 letter word just like Sh**. I read through the discussions here and read about some of the things you guys are going through. As someone who has a pie in the sky view of what flying would be it is a dose of reality about the lifestyle and that is healthy. Would you recommend for others to join the AF and fly? Would you do it all over again? What are some of the pitfalls that I will face as a young officer and how would you navigate them? If you don't mind impart some wisdom on this whipper snapper.

Most of the bitching here is about how the AF makes a great job crappy in respect to what it "could" be or punching to airlines to get paid more to work less.

Still I think my bad day is 69x better than what I imagine being an accountant is like.

No offense.....if that answers your question.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

• Upvote 2

Lots of highs and lows over the past 17 years but overall I consider myself for fortunate to serve.  Most of my peers, those who punched to the airlines or those who stayed, are doing as well or better than my civilian buddies from college.  Lots of valid sport bitching on this site but it doesn't change the fact that you'll get to do amazing things and serve with great Americans who will be life-long friends.  If I could go back in time I would absolutely do it again.

Edited by Steve C

To pile on the comments so far, there are lots of things to bitch about and lots of stuff that drove me nuts before I retired.  And you will have days that will suck for sure. But, I'd do it all again in a heartbeat!  The flying and the bros were what made it awesome.  Loved flying AF jets and miss that kind of flying and mission focus every day.  It's something very few will ever get the chance to do.  Perhaps even better, I worked with some great Americans who are life-long friends now and that's something that can't be overstated.  That said, if you're going AD, you have to accept the fact that there will be some QoL pain involved.  And that pain will vary greatly depending on what corner of the AF you end up in.  But regardless of where you end up and what you end up flying, the good stuff (flying jets, drinking with the bros, doing the mission serving 'Merica!) will, in my opinion, far outweigh the bad. 

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.  Don't give a shit about the politics and the promotions and all the additional bullshit.  Focus on being a great pilot and quit when it's not fun anymore.  Then go to the airlines and work half as hard for 2-3x the pay!

• Upvote 2

I have lots of things to bitch about after a 20 year career in Big Blue.

But...as I posted over on the Airwarriors forum recently, getting commissioned and earning the privilege to fly military aircraft for a career was hands down the best decision I've ever made in my life. There are things that I, in retrospect, wish I'd done slightly differently here and there, but overall it was a spectacular adventure and an entirely worthwhile experience. It was also incredibly formative in terms of my character as an American, a husband, a father, etc.

Don't have a bit of worry that you'll regret the decision to follow in our footsteps.
  • Upvote 4

I left law school after my first year and joined the AF to fly.  Never, never regretted that decision once.  Saw things, and did things that 99.8% of people will never do.  You will forever regret NOT attempting to follow your dream..you'll always regret not trying.

1 hour ago, Hacker said:

I have lots of things to bitch about after a 20 year career in Big Blue.

But...as I posted over on the Airwarriors forum recently, getting commissioned and earning the privilege to fly military aircraft for a career was hands down the best decision I've ever made in my life. There are things that I, in retrospect, wish I'd done slightly differently here and there, but overall it was a spectacular adventure and an entirely worthwhile experience. It was also incredibly formative in terms of my character as an American, a husband, a father, etc.

Don't have a bit of worry that you'll regret the decision to follow in our footsteps.

Well stated.

While I'm probably not going to retire from this community, I wouldn't trade it. The friends I've made and the experiences I've had - Your college buddies won't even be able to comprehend. I'd do a couple things a bit differently here and there, but I don't regret any of it. Flying fighters will go down as one of the best decisions I've ever made and ever will make.

12 hours ago, centsoffreedom said:

Would you recommend for others to join the AF and fly?

Would you do it all over again?

What are some of the pitfalls that I will face as a young officer and how would you navigate them? 

If you don't mind impart some wisdom on this whipper snapper.

Yes and Hell Yes to flying.  Despite the bullshit of being a part of any large organization (public or private), it is a unique challenge, personally and professionally rewarding and a chance to be part of something occasionally historic and always important.

Would do it all over again.  

Pitfalls as a young officer (somewhat generic but my two cents looking back):

- Alcohol Related Incidents.  Enjoy but be aware of your limits and/or surroundings.   Not to be condescending or cheesy but stupid shit does happen in the bar on Friday and on the road.  Newbies sometimes feel a need to prove their bravado and limits are exceeded with damage to egos, reputations, friendships, faces and careers.

- Realistic significant others (if you are single).  Just a quick count but I can think of several buds (male & female) who got divorced about 3 years into their flying careers due to the lifestyle and requirements due to a military flying career (work hours, last minute schedule changes, TDYs, non-vol assignments, etc...)

- Blue Kool Aid.  The company line will be emphasized a lot and most of the time it is like the repetitive commercials on AFN, harmless but somewhat annoying.  Take it with a grain of salt, don't be naive but don't be cynical, find some mixture of the two that suits you.

- Career Priority Indecision.  Towards the end of your second tour, the end of your youth as an AF officer, you'll need to decide the red pill or the blue pill.  Operationally focused, Military career focused, Transition to the ARC or the road not taken...  That is not to say I think you have to have it all figured out and/or if something changes (lifestyle, personal choices, new opportunities, etc..) but have a rough idea figured out of what you want, one more time - what you want, so you can work towards it and make the case to the AF that they should help you do that.

Wisdom:

Work hard, keep the end goal in mind, don't sweat the details until it is time to sweat the details, recognize nothing goes exactly to plan ever and always remember what you have already accomplished.

I am in no way 100% in compliance with said advice but I try to remember that which was passed to me by smarter men.

Edited by Clark Griswold
  • Upvote 6

Yes, yes, and yes.

If you love flying, it's the best flying you'll ever do. You'll make friends that will last the rest of your life in pilot training. You'll learn to do things in airplanes you never thought possible (regardless of what track you take).  You will serve your country. It will be hard, but in the end you will be better for it.

Pitfalls: Listen instead of speaking. Everyone has an urge to talk, explain, question, etc. Don't do it.  STFU, don't make excuses, own your mistakes and learn from them. 

Don't dip your pen in the company ink, or if you're a chick, don't get dipped in. Bad things happen to good people. Find a nice civilian that understands the profession. Some people make it work, most don't. It's just excess drama.

Try to keep a positive attitude. Keep the big picture in mind and don't let the system get you down.  But remember, life is too short to be miserable. When your commitment is up and it stops being fun, go Guard as fast as you can and do something in the real world. You'll be highly marketable. 

I'm a UPT direct to RPAs, probably one of the most dreaded assignments out there, and I would do it again if given the option. My 13 months actually flying in UPT I wouldn't trade for the world. The government PAID me to learn to fly, and paid for all the training. Life long friends and memories made, and flying expierences that 99.9% of people dream of. I'll never forget that formation low level down the Charleston coast, or that night sortie at FL320 watching thunderstorms.

Now I sit in a box or at a desk. We all bitch about the drone, but a normal day flying the box is 100x more rewarding than any civilian job I've had. The ISR saves lives and assists in our nations national security in ways many can only dream, and nothing beats killing terrorists and f**cking your wife all in the same day.

The desk work is really what sucks, and dealing with blue/military/"professional" issues. 

All that being said, I know when I'm a crusty old man, sitting on my porch with a shotgun and a PBR I won't be asking myself "what if" I started my professional career doing anything else. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, centsoffreedom said:

Good Morning,

I have been lurking here for a while. I am your typical stars in your eyes pilot select getting ready for OTS. Looking forward to flying. I am an accountant and have been in the professional world about 6 years, and no work is a 4 letter word just like Sh**. I read through the discussions here and read about some of the things you guys are going through. As someone who has a pie in the sky view of what flying would be it is a dose of reality about the lifestyle and that is healthy. Would you recommend for others to join the AF and fly? Would you do it all over again? What are some of the pitfalls that I will face as a young officer and how would you navigate them? If you don't mind impart some wisdom on this whipper snapper.

Flying military airplane into combat (relative term - I support the real warriors on the ground in the s****) with the people I have has been the most rewarding thing in my life.  Whether it was bringing fallen soldiers back home, transporting medical patients or rescuing Philippinos from a hurricane ravaged city, it has been an honor.

That being said, active duty and all the non flying duties may wear on you.  You've obviously read enough here to know it won't be all gravy and pudding.  Know this though: most of the BS won't really hit you until the 3-4 year mark in your 10 year commitment.  Plus, you may be in a position to influence your squadron for the better when you're done with UPT-so don't let the negativity here get you down.  Keep your head high, build relationships, deploy, travel, it will be fun, I promise.

Buyer beware. Realize what you are getting yourself into. You will have limited to no control of your life for 12+ years. You will be part of the 10% who does 90% of the work and gets little credit. You will work your ass off. You will see careerists climb the career ladder for the wrong reasons. Is it worth it? Depends on the individual. I would say most Air Force pilots love serving their country even with all the BS. 

Go read the books "Boyd" and "Flying Through Midnight."  Kick butt at UPT and go do things you never could anywhere else.  The greatest regrets are the lions we didn't chase and the mountains we didn't climb.  Ignore those who want to be someone, and go do something big.

When you're in the jet, being a USAF pilot is the most challenging and rewarding job on the planet.

• Upvote 2

I left an engineering job at 25, because I didn't want to spend the rest of my youth in an office and

wonder "what might have been". So, 18 years later, has is been worth it? Despite many frustrations, yes.

You will work with, and compete against, the best this human race has to offer. There will be days full of suck, undoubtedly, but 

you only get one chance to be part of the team that makes the scum of the earth evaporate...hold nothing back! 

5 hours ago, FourFans130 said:

Go read the books "Boyd" and "Flying Through Midnight."  Kick butt at UPT and go do things you never could anywhere else.  The greatest regrets are the lions we didn't chase and the mountains we didn't climb.  Ignore those who want to be someone, and go do something big.

When you're in the jet, being a USAF pilot is the most challenging and rewarding job on the planet.

You know this struck a chord with me. I am an accountant and could have a nice comfy career with a nice comfy family life, but I don't want to be 50 and regret not doing this. At 28 my biggest "regrets" (I can't really say I have regrets) are the things I didn't do, not the things I did.

9 hours ago, Buddy Spike said:

Don't dip your pen in the company ink, or if you're a chick, don't get dipped in. Bad things happen to good people. Find a nice civilian that understands the profession. Some people make it work, most don't. It's just excess drama.

I already have a nice Civilian/Military girl who has given me one awesome son, with another due any day. She is in the Army Guard so she has some understanding of what we are getting into. I have read too many stories about people shitting where they eat on reddit and big blue taking them to task for it.

Agree with much said above, unlike many of my peers who went to college and straight into Air Force either through Academy or ROTC I held a number of jobs prior to Active Duty.  I can say I wouldn't trade what I've done the last 10 years for any thing, and had the threat of future deployments not been so painful for my family and I to swallow I would stay in still even with all the bullshit.  Transitioning to the Airlines I dare say won't be the time I look back on when I get older, but I am confident I will be happy with the decision. 

All of the stuff that is wrong with the Air Force is an inhibitor for staying beyond that 10 year commitment, for the most part your years during that commitment will be awesome.  If I had to base my decision to stay on my last 10 years not what I can expect in the next 10 years I'd easily stay in.  So do it, sign away and hopefully things change and you'll have more reason to stay beyond that commitment.   If not then no sweat off your back, you just got 10 years experience you can never get anywhere else, an amazing skill set, and a good stepping board to new and more lucrative things.  

All the bitching and shit that pisses you off disappears as soon as you leave the ground. Only 5 years in so far but I wouldn't trade this flying for anything.  Ya it's annoying as hell at times but it's all worth it for what I get to do on a daily basis.