Space Corps Good or Bad?

xcraftllc

So will there be enlisted in space or will it be just the domain of MIT types and Test pilots? So everybody who gets into space including the guy who fixes the plumbing be called a astronaut? Welcome aboard the Starship Enterprise with its crew of 4 rated guys and 600 duty pax.

• Upvote 1

That's what I'm thinking.  Do we really gain anything by creating a Space Force vs potentially standing up a Space Command similar to SOCOM that brings in the Army and Navy assets?

Have you seen the Army’s approach to computer/electronic warfare? We’re a service where that phrase conjures up ideas of shooting bullets at the other guys radios/computers/generators.

Yes for the love of god take this venue away from us for our own good. We are a service applying metrics of excellence adapted from the idea of basic soldier tasks. That means the smartest space/cyber/sat guy will be passed over for promotion by a stupid one that has a good run score and can regurgitate information about the M2 .50cal he isn’t MTOED to the board.

We need to look at this like the aviation discussions with Mitchell pre WWII. A lot of protectionist generals are telling us we don’t need this to happen, which immediately makes it suspect. On top of that a future war with an opponent where this is defined and figured out as far as what it can/should do will result similarly to what happened between Germany and the Expeditionary Force during the opening days of WWII. The force that has its shit in a sock with regards to this new dimension of warfare is going to roll over the other guy regardless of whether of not that guy has better tanks or bigger numbers. It will be something that takes all the initiative and doesn’t give it back until it’s all over, and it will happen to fast for the adaptations to take effect and catch up.
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Lawman said:

Have you seen the Army’s approach to computer/electronic warfare? We’re a service where that phrase conjures up ideas of shooting bullets at the other guys radios/computers/generators.

Closest one I could find to illustrate the point...

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=11b+it+guy&&view=detail&mid=05518DA3DF0C927C965F05518DA3DF0C927C965F&&FORM=VRDGAR

Yes for the love of god take this venue away from us for our own good. We are a service applying metrics of excellence adapted from the idea of basic soldier tasks. That means the smartest space/cyber/sat guy will be passed over for promotion by a stupid one that has a good run score and can regurgitate information about the M2 .50cal he isn’t MTOED to the board.

Sounds a lot like the AF of today. Somehow the only “distinguishing” features on a career are things like PT score. I know someone who was almost denied a PCS medal because he failed one PT test once after a max duty day in the desert (he scored a 98 two days later, but that didn’t matter).

16 minutes ago, ThreeHoler said:

Sounds a lot like the AF of today. Somehow the only “distinguishing” features on a career are things like PT score. I know someone who was almost denied a PCS medal because he failed one PT test once after a max duty day in the desert (he scored a 98 two days later, but that didn’t matter).

At the risk of a total sidebar...

I agree that PT is out of control as a "QFI", but how does one fail a PT test in the desert?  (i.e., what was he doing taking a PT test while deployed?  How is that even a thing?)  If the PT test was immediately upon return to home station from a deployment, what was he doing taking it instead of being on post mission/recon?

5 hours ago, Prosuper said:

So will there be enlisted in space or will it be just the domain of MIT types and Test pilots? So everybody who gets into space including the guy who fixes the plumbing be called a astronaut? Welcome aboard the Starship Enterprise with its crew of 4 rated guys and 600 duty pax.

I think it’s a safe bet that the Space Force won’t actually be putting people into space.

2 hours ago, Champ Kind said:

At the risk of a total sidebar...

I agree that PT is out of control as a "QFI", but how does one fail a PT test in the desert?  (i.e., what was he doing taking a PT test while deployed?  How is that even a thing?)  If the PT test was immediately upon return to home station from a deployment, what was he doing taking it instead of being on post mission/recon?

Dude, we were running PT tests at Erbil.... in f’ing August. This is while we were still overhead in the fight for the old city. Who gives a crap about the flight schedule or crew rest... Division won’t process end of tour awards if the packet doesn’t include a <30 day old PT card. 

Since the Deid is moving more to a remote and less of a deployment they are requiring people to maintain current on the test. Same at Ali.

Shove the PT reg in their face, if you’re less than 365, you don’t have to test.

Looking forward to new threads about Space force dudes complaining about commanders forcing guys to do PT tests when they return from space after a year. Earths 1g gravity turning his troops into jelly fish on the beach. Wing stand up power points all in red.

• Like 1

Na, the Rebels will game the system 1st by trying to take their test on the moon. Starfleet will reply by requiring everyone to return to earth every 6 months, but will see that as too costly, and will try to institute gravity regs. The Italian foreign exchange dude will mock his fellow spacemen as he sips Space Chianti on Mars... the red wine for the red planet.

Out

• Like 1

Frankly I like the idea of breaking space roles away from the terrestrial services. I want the USAF to worry about airplanes.

that said, aren’t there international treaties prohibiting the weaponization of space?  Going to be weird having an unarmed military branch.  

I wonder what NASA thinks about this whole thing.

4 minutes ago, tac airlifter said:

Frankly I like the idea of breaking space roles away from the terrestrial services. I want the USAF to worry about airplanes.

that said, aren’t there international treaties prohibiting the weaponization of space?  Going to be weird having an unarmed military branch.  

I wonder what NASA thinks about this whole thing.

There are limits on WMDs in space. Nothing says you can't put a shotgun on a satellite.

57 minutes ago, pawnman said:

There are limits on WMDs in space. Nothing says you can't put a shotgun on a satellite.

I admit total ignorance on the topic, but your comment shamed me into some reading on the article IV outer space treaty. 

So why haven’t we been dropping tungsten rods on white bongo trucks the last 15 years?  I want the next JFIRE to have calls for fire TTPs for a damn space gun.  

• Like 1

I admit total ignorance on the topic, but your comment shamed me into some reading on the article IV outer space treaty. 
So why haven’t we been dropping tungsten rods on white bongo trucks the last 15 years?  I want the next JFIRE to have calls for fire TTPs for a damn space gun.  
Upmass. It's really expensive to put stuff into orbit.

54 minutes ago, Breckey said:
5 hours ago, tac airlifter said:

Upmass. It's really expensive to put stuff into orbit.

Check sarcasm detector bro

• Haha 1

On 6/22/2018 at 5:06 PM, Prosuper said:

Looking forward to new threads about Space force dudes complaining about commanders forcing guys to do PT tests when they return from space after a year. Earths 1g gravity turning his troops into jelly fish on the beach. Wing stand up power points all in red.

This is closer to the truth than anyone wants to admit.  Jellyfish.... Bawhahahaha... that's funny... 

On 6/24/2018 at 9:00 AM, disgruntledemployee said:

Na, the Rebels will game the system 1st by trying to take their test on the moon. Starfleet will reply by requiring everyone to return to earth every 6 months, but will see that as too costly, and will try to institute gravity regs. The Italian foreign exchange dude will mock his fellow spacemen as he sips Space Chianti on Mars... the red wine for the red planet.

Out

But will there be space SNCOs checking for proper spacesuit socks prior to testing?

• 5 months later...