Thunderbird F-16 flips at KDAY

rv10

Local news reports are stating that one of the Thunderbird F-16s flipped while taxiing due to wind gusts at KDAY. No injuries are being reported. A quick search yielded no photos or more information.

Why in the absolute Fvck would the Thunderbirds need block 52's? 

Disregard, found the answer on F-16.net     "In 2008 the block 32 F-16s were replaced by newer block 52 models. This gives the team an extra boost in available thrust."  So a block 52 has so much more available thrust than a block 32 that it makes a difference to the spectators at an airshow??? 

Edited by HerkFE
Answer found:
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, HerkFE said:

Why in the absolute Fvck would the Thunderbirds need block 52's? 

Disregard, found the answer on F-16.net     "In 2008 the block 32 F-16s were replaced by newer block 52 models. This gives the team an extra boost in available thrust."  So a block 52 has so much more available thrust than a block 32 that it makes a difference to the spectators at an airshow??? 

That plus the old block 32s were all bent.

1 hour ago, icohftb said:

That plus the old block 32s were all bent.

I was working inside the glass doors when the decision was made to convert to Block 52s.  The ACC boss was truly worried about the age of the Block 30s they were flying at the time and wanted newer jets to avoid an "event" at an airshow.  That decision went all the way to CSAF thus illustrating how long we have been broken and the lack of empowerment at all levels.  Glad they survived.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

...  That decision went all the way to CSAF thus illustrating how long we have been broken and the lack of empowerment at all levels.  Glad they survived.

This.

Question (not just for CH) but has it ever been discussed to go back to 38s or ideally whichever jet is picked in the T-X competition?  

New jets, lower operational costs, all are two seaters, etc... 

Edited by Clark Griswold

20 minutes ago, Clark Griswold said:

This.

Question (not just for CH) but has it ever been discussed to go back to 38s or ideally whichever jet is picked in the T-X competition?  

Won't happen.  The T-birds are the AF's #1 marketing tool.  My $$$ is on the F-35 getting a red/white/blue paint job next.

35 minutes ago, Clark Griswold said:

... whichever jet is picked in the T-X competition?  

The T-X jet is a long way from selection. Many, many years  

It would not surprise me, however, if it became the next Thunderbird jet. 

BTW, if any of you are at the Dayton show, let us know how the T-50 demo looks. I'm very intrigued. 

49 minutes ago, Clark Griswold said:

This.

I'm in violent agreement with you.  Word on the street is they'll be getting F-35s though...... 

Edited by F16Deuce
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, HuggyU2 said:

BTW, if any of you are at the Dayton show, let us know how the T-50 demo looks. I'm very intrigued. 

I've seen it before - lots of similarities to an f-16 demo. No crazy AOA stuff. 

Love the jet though. 

53 minutes ago, HU&W said:

Won't happen.  The T-birds are the AF's #1 marketing tool.  My $$$ is on the F-35 getting a red/white/blue paint job next.

36 minutes ago, HuggyU2 said:

30 minutes ago, F16Deuce said:

I'm in violent agreement with you.  Word on the street is they'll be getting F-35s though...... 

Copy all 

It could do the job but damn that is one expensive show... not sure what the requirement per hour max cost for the T-X is but probably around 1/5th (or less) of what a 35 will cost per flight hour of rage.

Edited by Clark Griswold
minor

Unless the powers that be are going to let them hang at show center doing pedal turns I highly doubt F-35s, the juice won't be worth the squeeze because the TX performance specifications are so high.

The T-X has a minimum sustained g requirement of 6.5g and objective of 7.5g  The requirement sets a high bar for maneuverability, requiring the T-X to sustain that load at a pressure altitude of 15,000ft for at least 140˚ of a full turn with minimal loss of energy and altitude.  Initiated at or above 15,000ft pressure altitude, at or below Mach 0.9, and at or above 80% fuel weight, the aircraft’s flight path angle during this maneuver can be no lower than 15˚ nose low while losing no more than 2,000ft of vertical altitude and 10% of the initial airspeed.

Bottomline, for a 10th the cost per airframe they can get almost the same show.

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Got a crew on location for a static. I'll ask them and advise

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Allegedly all the info I saw says T-X is supposed to chosen by this December. But that means a other year of GAO protests 

• Upvote 2

Disclaimer: 100% speculation, we'll see what the SIB/AIB says in 6.9 months...

There is no way a "wind gust" would flip a viper all the way onto its back during taxi unless it's a damn hurricane. Seriously, to lift the entire fuselage/engine up and over the wing?? Come on. Hell, a gust strong enough just to put it up on a single main and wingtip would be *hopefully* something the wx guys could forecast and would be well outside the normal limits and therefore a wx cnx. Now, a strong wind gust during landing, which pushed the mighty mighty off the runway and THEN it flipped - maybe.  Not probable, but possible.

But flipping on its back during taxi?  I don't buy it. 

And while I feel bad for him and hope he has no serious injuries, that crew chief has one of gnarliest fam ride stories around. 

• Upvote 1