Lost Another - Pilot OK

matmacwc

It's the distance from the center of a circle to any other point on the edge of that same circle, and in this case it equals a value that causes the area of the circle to equal 4000 square feet.

Probably meant to say it was a 4,000 ft radius, cuz 4,000 square feet ain't much.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That tends to happen when you only have one engine.  

Thank goodness it's replacement, the F-35, has two...

Especially since the Navy bought it too. Single Engine over the ocean is called an emergency...

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

5 minutes ago, Duck said:

Thank goodness it's replacement, the F-35, has two...

Especially since the Navy bought it too. Single Engine over the ocean is called an emergency...

Naa, I've crossed multiple in it, it does make weird sounds after about 200 miles over the ocean though.

1 hour ago, Ram said:

EDIT: I've been a BO member for 14 fvcking years and I can't say p*ssy? YGBSM.

Ram, stop being a pussy.

And go get me an Ensure... after you get off my lawn, you pussy.  

• Upvote 13

I tend to think that a pond crossing with a Viper is quite different than operating off a carrier in a single engine fighter daily. I know of guys in Prowlers who have had to shut down an engine over the water and limp home, with the best divert option being places you don't want to divert. I wasn't trying to hurt the Viper guys feelings, I love you fellas. Just don't know if the F-35 was truly a smart buy for the Navy. Time will tell I guess.

It'd take a lot more than that for some hurt feelings around here.  The single engine thing is a common jab from other platforms, but generally over-rated as an actual problem.  If you go back and look at all the Viper Class A's in the last decade, very few of them would have turned out any different with a second engine.  Even with engine issues on two engine fighters, if one engine shells itself and starts throwing blades, that probably isn't good for the other engine sitting a few feet away.  Just reference the F-18 crash in San Diego a few years ago.  One bad engine soon led to no engines.