Personality Type - MBTI among Rated Officers

I used the search function and came up empty handed

The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator is probably the most popular personality test in use, and I've heard that they used to give it to pilots in the navy. I wouldn't be surprised if many of the guys on here have heard of it. The test indicates how you use your mind based on 4 scales:

Favorite world: Do you prefer to focus on the outer world or on your own inner world? This is called Extraversion (E) or Introversion (I).

Information: Do you prefer to focus on the basic information you take in or do you prefer to interpret and add meaning? This is called Sensing (S) or Intuition (N).

Decisions: When making decisions, do you prefer to first look at logic and consistency or first look at the people and special circumstances? This is called Thinking (T) or               Feeling (F).

Structure: In dealing with the outside world, do you prefer to get things decided or do you prefer to stay open to new information and options? This is called Judging (J) or             Perceiving (P).

(http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/mbti-basics/home.htm?bhcp=1)

I'm curious about what kind of people enjoy their time in the military aviation world. This is perhaps the most widely used personality typing test and is something I've been interested quite a while. There are heaps of MBTI-type tests online; this one's good:

www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp

The test is 64 questions and takes 5 minutes or so. Once you are typed you can follow the link to view a brief description.

This isn't meant to put people in boxes or tell people they'll have an easier/harder time in the cockpit based on their type; I'm sure people of any type will make it if they are willing to put forth the work and have the right attitude.

I hope this thread will prove useful and you'll find it interesting, at the very least it'll help me understand what goes on in your craniums

Edited by jaquelinemanklehoffer
title

18 minutes ago, Kiloalpha said:

Doubt we'll let you in our "craniums" without knowing more about what's in yours.

Is this for research? Study? Test? Paper? Or... good old shits and giggles? What's your MBTI? Background?

thanks for the replies

I'm an ISTP, and I ask out of curiosity. if you took the test and found it interesting feel free to comment.

My results included extreme charm, elite hand eye coordination, never before seen levels of charisma, slightly below average sensitivity (which is gay), and gifted love making skills. 

Did I pass?

• Upvote 12

Guest LumberjackAxe
2 hours ago, Lord Ratner said:

Sent from my Vitamix 450x Professional using Tapatalk

Are you baseopsing from your blender in the kitchen? What a world we live in!

Unfortunately the lack of inflationary adjustment to flight pay has limited me to only a Ninja blender. Although it has a lot of bells and whistles, it's no Vitamix.

I suppose this is how someone feels when owning a Corvette ZR1 rather than a true exotic, supercar.

Edited by LookieRookie
  • Upvote 1

On 6/19/2017 at 10:00 AM, LookieRookie said:

Unfortunately the lack of inflationary adjustment to flight pay has limited me to only a Ninja blender. Although it has a lot of bells and whistles, it's no Vitamix.

Save up your pennies.  The vitamix is like a tablesaw for your kitchen.

On 6/19/2017 at 7:21 PM, Seriously said:

These studies have already been done. In summary, fighter pilots score low on agreeableness.

https://publicaccess.dtic.mil/psm/api/service/search/search?site=default_collection&q=pilot+mab#

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15892544

Thanks a lot seriously, these articles are great. Thanks all for the replies

Sent from my gillette mach 3 turbo using tapatalk

ESFJ [The Supporter]

ESFJs are people persons - they love people. They are warmly interested in others. They use their Sensing and Judging characteristics to gather specific, detailed information about others, and turn this information into supportive judgments. They want to like people, and have a special skill at bringing out the best in others. They are extremely good at reading others, and understanding their point of view. The ESFJ’s strong desire to be liked and for everything to be pleasant makes them highly supportive of others. People like to be around ESFJs, because the ESFJ has a special gift of invariably making people feel good about themselves. The ESFJ takes their responsibilities very seriously, and is very dependable. They value security and stability, and have a strong focus on the details of life. They see before others do what needs to be done, and do whatever it takes to make sure that it gets done. They enjoy these types of tasks, and are extremely good at them. [X]