Syrian Su-22 Shot Down by US Aircraft

xcraftllc

F-15E Shoots Down Another Armed Drone in Syria;

"The armed pro-regime Shaheed-129 [unmanned aerial vehicle] was shot down by a U.S. F-15E Strike Eagle at approximately 12:30 a.m. after it displayed hostile intent and advanced on Coalition forces," the command said in a release.

Officials said coalition forces were patrolling an established combat outpost to the northeast of At Tanf, where they're training and advising partner ground forces in the fight against ISIS.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017/06/20/f-15e-shoots-down-another-armed-drone-in-syria.html

Shahed-129-front.jpg

Edited by waveshaper

So if (hypothetical) there were US imbeds with the SDF on the ground there, and the SU-22 in question made runs on them resulting in the shoot down...

Does that qualify as breaking the streak of "No US troops have come under air attack since the Korean War" Air Dominance tag line we always hear?

2 hours ago, Lawman said:

So if (hypothetical) there were US imbeds with the SDF on the ground there, and the SU-22 in question made runs on them resulting in the shoot down...

Does that qualify as breaking the streak of "No US troops have come under air attack since the Korean War" Air Dominance tag line we always hear?

Does this count?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2017/06/14/isis-drones-are-attacking-u-s-troops-and-disrupting-airstrikes-in-raqqa-officials-say/?utm_term=.5042b8070eee

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, FourFans130 said:

One more to add to the "does this count" list?  Five A-37's, flown by a RVNAF defector and some VPAF pilots, bombed/strafed Tan Son Nhut Air Base?

On the afternoon of April 28, 1975, Trung (RVNAF defector) led a flight of five A-37 fighter-bombers against Tan Son Nhut Air Base, which temporarily stopped U.S. and South Vietnamese evacuation efforts. Luckily only 3 AC-119s and several C-47s were destroyed. Also, defector Trung preferred to use the F-5 for Presidential Palace bombing missions.

Does the US Navy count as "Ground Troops"? The 1972 Battle of Dong Hoi. One MiG-17F scored a direct hit on the destroyer USS Higbee with a BETAB-250 (250 kg/551 lb) bomb, after failing to hit its target twice on two previous attack runs. The explosion destroyed the aft 5-inch (127 mm) gun mount. Another MiG-17 simultaneously aimed its bombs at the cruiser USS Oklahoma City but it was a near miss and only caused minor damage to the ships stern. Total US casualties = 4.

Also, Turkey has made a few attempts recently to bomb/shell/attack US backed SDF troops (with US forces in close proximity to these attacks) in Syria. It might be time to update Article 5 to cover how NATO will respond when one NATO country attacks forces from another NATO country.

Edited by waveshaper
  • Upvote 1

Good stuff.

See I feel like the guys that keep spouting that mantra ought to do a better job of shutting up and highlighting incidents like this.

Probably the worst enemy of our continued evolution and reinvestment into the force is our own "we are invincible!" PR campaign. Even amongst our own commanders I can tell you a high population of the Army leadership simply doesn't even view air superiority as something we will ever go to war without much less a trend we should keep allocating research toward improving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 5

41 minutes ago, Lawman said:

Good stuff.

See I feel like the guys that keep spouting that mantra ought to do a better job of shutting up and highlighting incidents like this.

Probably the worst enemy of our continued evolution and reinvestment into the force is our own "we are invincible!" PR campaign. Even amongst our own commanders I can tell you a high population of the Army leadership simply doesn't even view air superiority as something we will ever go to war without much less a trend we should keep allocating research toward improving.

Bravo

Got to watch the HUD video today, deff worth hitting up your intel shop, just for the pure "f**k ya!!" Factor. 

Not to mention getting your daily dose of "Merica!"

Open source speculations are always fun.

http://www.combataircraft.net/2017/06/23/how-did-a-30-year-old-su-22-defeat-a-modern-aim-9x/

Also a neat quick read about the red eagles from an embedded link on that page (where did Steve Davies go?):

http://aviationweek.com/blog/we-didn-t-know-what-90-percent-switches-did

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Breckey said:

Assessment of this is on the Air Dominance blog on SIPR.

Do us all a favor and post the link on the BaseOps SIPRNET Intellipedia page (yes, there is one!)...