Calculating TAFMS Time and Retirement Eligibility

STOIKY

How would someone with active duty and reserve service accurately calculate their TAFMS time? Prior to commissioning, I served four years on active duty and five years in the reserve component. When I in-processed at Laughlin about three months ago, I discovered what I thought to be a discrepancy on the DD-214 issued to me prior to departing OTS. It reads that I have 7.5 years of TAFMS. I brought it up with the MPF here and they started a CMS case. That case made its way to AFPC and they confirmed that I have accumulated 7.5 years of TAFMS. I did complete two long formal training schools and a few sets of lengthy orders while in the reserve, but those points only add up to about 18 months of active duty time (normal UTA/AT time not included). I'm just trying to make sure everything is accurate before letting this go. If something is wrong I'd rather address it now and not deal with a potentially larger headache later on. (Like thinking I'm getting close to retirement toward the end of my active duty UPT commitment only be told "SURPRISE, you actually have X numbers of years remaining".) I've gotten several different answers with regard to this issue and was wondering if any of you have more information about this situation? Suggestions for additional resources, publications, etc I might be able to consult? 

Second question: Is pay for prior-enlisted officers calculated from TAFMS? The USAF says I have 7.5 years of "active duty service". If that is accurate, shouldn't I be receiving pay as an 0-1E with over six years of service? (Right now I'm being paid as an 0-1E with four years of active duty service.) I haven't raised this issue with Finance yet, because I honestly don't know what's correct and what isn't at this point.  

Thanks in advance for any guidance provided!  

8 hours ago, STOIKY said:

Second question: Is pay for prior-enlisted officers calculated from TAFMS? The USAF says I have 7.5 years of "active duty service". If that is accurate, shouldn't I be receiving pay as an 0-1E with over six years of service? (Right now I'm being paid as an 0-1E with four years of active duty service.) I haven't raised this issue with Finance yet, because I honestly don't know what's correct and what isn't at this point.  

Thanks in advance for any guidance provided!  

Check your PAY DATE on vMPF, (there should be a page that list all your dates on the left hand side, I think it is labeled "service dates"). It (PAY DATE) should show around December 2012 based on your info above. There are cases where your TAFMS does not line up with your PAY date. Your pay scale is based on your PAY DATE rather than TAFMS. You can ask Finance to calculate what time periods (active duty, etc) went into your PAY DATE being set at X.

If your PAY DATE is December 2009ish then you should be paid as O1E with 6 years pay (since you will be between 6 and 8 years with the next pay jump at year 8). This should be a much easier fix for Finance.

• 2 years later...

I have a similar situation.  I served in the USAF from 1967-1971.  I then went to college.  After college (1975) I joined the Air National Guard from 1975-1990 and then the Air Force Reserve from 1990 to 1992.  I was a member of a unit out of MacDill AFB.  The unit took those TSgt and below and went to Saudi Arabia during Desert Storm.  I was not selected to go due to my rank (MSgt).  I was an Individual Mobilization Augmentee (IMA).  When the unit returned it was "disbanded" (or so I was told).  I checked back with them several months later and they informed me that the unit was regrouped and needed enlisted people only during the week.  I was a "weekender" in that I had a full time job.  They then informed me my paperwork was sent to Randolph AFB to discharge me.  I had been in the military for 17 years.  I was 3 years from retirement.  I am hoping that I can find a way to regroup the 3 years OR find a system where I can receive some income for the 15+ years I did put in.  I am very frustrated.