2 hours ago, Zulu said:

Should I be up front with my interest in having a full time position and wanting to know what their situation is? From what I have read, I thought many units look down on this as it makes it appear that the candidate is unnaware / doesn’t understand that they need to have the ability to support themselves financially in another way.

You need to know if the squadron is a good fit for yourself as well. The way I asked it on my rushing tour was: "What is the typical percentage of traditional vs full time at the squadron?" After they answered, I followed up with "do you see that changing drastically in the future?" They reply then, "How come?" This gave me a good idea of the dynamic and the factors they see affecting them in the future while (at least I hope) made me seem interested.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sit On Acorns said:

You need to know if the squadron is a good fit for yourself as well. The way I asked it on my rushing tour was: "What is the typical percentage of traditional vs full time at the squadron?" After they answered, I followed up with "do you see that changing drastically in the future?" They reply then, "How come?" This gave me a good idea of the dynamic and the factors they see affecting them in the future while (at least I hope) made me seem interested.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll try to do this with the units that I talk to in the future.

The guard inevitably has more "unknowns" than AD; the grass is not all greener than AD (but much of it is!) Right now as Evil said, full time is much easier to secure than it traditionally has been in the past; that's not very likely to change on your timeline (assuming...) That said, you absolutely still need to have a plan B/C, and if you don't have one at all, that may crush your chances of getting hired at some units.

If you want "no risk" of not having full time, then go AD...but there's hundreds of pages on here alone that can tell you why taking a small risk in the guard just may be worth your consideration.

Edited by brabus

1 hour ago, brabus said:

The guard inevitably has more "unknowns" than AD; the grass is not all greener than AD (but much of it is!) Right now as Evil said, full time is much easier to secure than it traditionally has been in the past; that's not very likely to change on your timeline (assuming...) That said, you absolutely still need to have a plan B/C, and if you don't have one at all, that may crush your chances of getting hired at some units.

If you want "no risk" of not having full time, then go AD...but there's hundreds of pages on here alone that can tell you why taking a small risk in the guard just may be worth your consideration.

Thanks for the reply brabus.

From what I’m hearing, seems like the chances of getting a full time position are fairly good. Combined with the opportunity to go on an AD tour, this gives me very few reasons not to try and go Guard.

I do have some plan B/C ideas as to what I could do as a part timer, just none of them sound as nice as being full time at this point. Who knows what life could look like in a few years though and how my opinion could change. Can only try to plan for the best.

If your tune is "I would love a full time job, but I will gladly take any job you can offer...if it's part time I am looking into X and Y for civilian employment," you'll be fine. If you say, "I will only accept full time and if you can't provide it when seasoning is up, I'll likely look to transfer somewhere else," you will probably shoot yourself in the foot. 

Remember, just because the question is asked, does not mean that is the behind-the-scenes plan, they just want to know you can plan ahead and if a time did come up where you had to do PT for a little bit, you're not going to be a "feed me!" problem. 

Edited by brabus
  • Like 1