On 1/5/2024 at 1:06 PM, Clark Griswold said:

Needs to happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta get rid of that probe though!

Put a receptacle on it. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, Clark Griswold said:

Should have kept the 10 around.  They were in a rush to dump a useful aircraft.  

Should have kept the 10 around.  They were in a rush to dump a useful aircraft.  

True, a complimenting acquisition with the 46 and 777 tankers using same technology for mil systems (boom, defensive, comms, cargo handling, etc…) would have been my pitch way back in the day
Of course this assumes they would have not fudged up the 46 and would have spun down the 135 also, a fleet of new tanker iron

• Upvote 1

On 3/4/2024 at 9:35 AM, Clark Griswold said:

True, a complimenting acquisition with the 46 and 777 tankers using same technology for mil systems (boom, defensive, comms, cargo handling, etc…) would have been my pitch way back in the day
Of course this assumes they would have not fudged up the 46 and would have spun down the 135 also, a fleet of new tanker iron

The way I heard it from Boeing when I was at Boeing was they originally submitted the 777-200 cargo for the original RFP but the USAF declined it saying it wouldn't fit in existing hanger, changed the rfp to require the same footprint and let the A300/767 battle begin. The 777-200 apparently crushed every requirement of the original RFP for fuel capacity, cargo capacity and troop transport.

• Like 1

The way I heard it from Boeing when I was at Boeing was they originally submitted the 777-200 cargo for the original RFP but the USAF declined it saying it wouldn't fit in existing hanger, changed the rfp to require the same footprint and let the A300/767 battle begin. The 777-200 apparently crushed every requirement of the original RFP for fuel capacity, cargo capacity and troop transport.

It doesn’t surprise me that the DOD would shoot itself in the foot with requirements.