Concept aircraft

Clark Griswold

22 hours ago, BFM this said:

So 1980s

3F59B5A6-62F5-4247-A2E6-6A4302D5F834-2069-000001706C0BE707.jpeg

That spaceplane yes... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starflight:_The_Plane_That_Couldn't_Land

But the next generation of spaceplanes is ready to go, IMO.  No incredible leaps in technology required, just the logistical costs to come down, highly likely as demand would increase supply and the economics of scale kick in.

The promise of cheap access to LEO was probably a bridge too far for the technology / materials of the 60s / 70s but within reach for the technology we have now.

A space access strategy:

Privatize and encourage mainly commercial access to LEO, focus national space efforts on HEO and Deep Space access / presence.  Continuously launch every year to build logistical supplies and space based infrastructure.

Spaceplanes, reusable medium / heavy lift rockets and we need to go all out and make a BDB (big dumb booster) even bigger than the upcoming SLS (Space Launch System) - that BDB should be the Sea Dragon IMO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Dragon_(rocket)

maxresdefault.jpg

Lift in one mission all the gear or re-supply for an interplanetary mission.

Edited by Clark Griswold

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/20/2018 at 4:50 PM, Hopefulflyer389 said:

Would the heat signature be similar to the B-2 with the intakes/exhaust above the wings? 

Might be I suppose but if this was ever built it would likely have a pretty good IR signature due to small size with likely major increase in avionics/mission systems to add 4.5/5th gen capabilities (AESA radar, datalink, satcom, EW suite, integrated EO/IR sensor, sensor fusion, etc...).  

Now that comes with the assumption that if you remade a 3/4 gen design to incorporate LO or reduced signature you would necessarily incorporate all of those features, someone might just want a reduced signature capability to give them an advantage over regional rivals, not to go toe to toe with the USAF / USN 

And I thought the Hornet couldn’t be any more useless in a fight...

Let’s compare the war record of Hornet/Rhino vs Raptor shall we?

Look I get it is without a doubt the slow fat kid on the playground when compared to the purpose built Air Dominance aircraft, but it’s far from useless.

One more thing slinging 120s in the Stack that those Flankers have to expend time, energy, ordnance, and fuel contending with before they come for you and me.

4 hours ago, ThreeHoler said:

Considering Hornets only show up to the fight with about 1/3 as much as the Strike Eagle...color me less than impressed what you get when the Navy is in town.

Understand the critique but the physics / logistics of operating off the boat necessitate size / performance expectations (sts)...

Sea Eagle stuff:

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/the-sea-eagle-how-americas-f-15-fighter-almost-became-18051

https://tacairnet.com/2015/04/15/f-15n-sea-eagle/

navalf-15.jpg

11 hours ago, Clark Griswold said:

Understand the critique but the physics / logistics of operating off the boat necessitate size / performance expectations (sts)...

Sea Eagle stuff:

Boyd and Sprey would have loved that... USAF Forcing a jet onto the Navy after years of the reverse.

On 7/22/2018 at 11:22 AM, ThreeHoler said:

And I thought the Hornet couldn’t be any more useless in a fight...

What’s your background?

It can be pretty decent in the hands of someone with a bit of experience.

From my personal collection and the only time I’ve been fortunate enough to fight an Eagle WVR.

146084AC-16D9-4493-9D31-9FA34020DCD1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, RegularJoe said:

Boyd and Sprey would have loved that... USAF Forcing a jet onto the Navy after years of the reverse.

Yup, I think Boyd would have loved it and adapting a land design to naval is not crazy, ref. MiG-29 and Su-27 to MiG-29K and Su-33 and the yet to be built Sea Gripen...

Gripen-M-Saab.jpg

Sea+Grip+01+flying.jpg

Sea+Gripen-2-1.jpg

Not a Marine Aviator but I've always thought the Sea Gripen would be a good steed for an amphibious military force with a doctrinal slant towards expeditionary, austere ops with limited logistical support...

Operate from the boat then establish the land base, roads as a runway are acceptable...

saab39_3.jpg

VSTOL gives you that but comes with such a cost in performance and dollars that IMHO, a STOBAR / STOL would effectively achieve at a fraction of the cost and way less risk.