Concept aircraft

Clark Griswold

9 hours ago, Lawman said:

While we are laughing at Iran....

What happens when you get way too drunk watching Blue Thunder and get ideas to upgrade your Bell 206.

aVohc7J~1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm assuming they missed Airwolf, otherwise CENTCOM would be dealing supersonic Jet Rangers equipped with retractable chain-guns and A/A A/G projectile launchers menacing all over strait of Hormuz.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, FourFans130 said:

One small step for man, on giant leap for Skynet.

Sent from my iPad using Baseops Network Forums

Inevitable that some part of operations / combat become fully autonomous (once released for the mission).  

On the topic of concept RPAs / UAVs...vaporware but a reasonable extrapolation of the MQ-1/9/X series...

1f65064a769a86bba841598455c44f16.jpg

Yup

Watched a presentation on FSW / X-29 from one of the retired test pilots - he addressed that a little and thought / said LO and FSW probably didn't work together

Not only that.

In the 30 years since FSW designs were being tested our knowledge and effective usage of fly by wire coupled with computer aided flight management systems has moved way forward.

If the idea is to build an inherently unstable airframe because that's the only way to make in maneuverable and fly at high alpha we can make up much more of the margin between conventional and FS winged aircraft now that we have learned to make control surfaces work in a more concerted effort. Add thrust vectoring to the list and the juice on FSW just isn't worth the squeeze even if it does look sexy. Same reason you don't see a big barn door speed break on new designs.

In the end I think FSW will go the same way as variable geometry. It's a neat way to accomplish something and cutting edge for its time but their are less demanding ways with less accompanying negatives out there to achieve similar results. We've come a long way with our understanding of what was only theoretical 30-40 years ago. I'd be real interested to look forward another 40 years and see how much different the evolutionary line goes from F-86 to F-15 to Raptor to god knows what....

2 hours ago, Lawman said:

...In the end I think FSW will go the same way as variable geometry. It's a neat way to accomplish something and cutting edge for its time but their are less demanding ways with less accompanying negatives out there to achieve similar results. 

Yup, well said.

The test pilot (Kurt Schroeder) said pretty much the same thing.  Good technology but not needed.

Presentation here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOmvrk3LPGc

FSW research accomplished its goal, proved it was viable / gathered data, but FSW deployment became unnecessary due to advances in other areas / change in the operational environment.  

Still an interesting concept and with its low speed capability, surprised it was never proposed for carrier aircraft.  

But ask and Google sometimes provides interesting vaporware...

img_5?1452426265

Edited by Clark Griswold

6 hours ago, di1630 said:
If you see a design with tails, ignore it, it won't be the future of fighters as long as stealth is desired.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Copy that

NG proposed design and article on 6 gen

NGAD%25202.jpg

Fat and flat is the new hotness

Add ons, more 5+ / 6 gen vaporware but plausible:

post-59028-0-81627300-1469699195.jpg

lockheed_martin___sixth_generation_fight

lockheed_martin___sixth_generation_fight

sixth_generation_fighter_by_rodrigoavell

Edited by Clark Griswold

5 hours ago, di1630 said:

Hmmm, just a guess of course photos 1 and 5 could be very close to plausible
Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Agreed and those were interesting programs/ideas, good stuff either gets built or the LL get rolled into another program(s).

Another pic of this concept:

post-59028-0-81109200-1469873478.jpg

Would need to "smoothed" out and joined for one continuous edge from fuselage to wing tip.

On 6/24/2017 at 3:50 PM, di1630 said:

Check out the x-36 subscale program...highly successful testbed, abruptly cancelled...why?.....you can take it from there.

I'm too dumb and can't...why would they cancel it if it was successful?

5 minutes ago, Day Man said:

I'm too dumb and can't...why would they cancel it if it was successful?

NASA program - too good for a civilian controlled program with military application - gobbled up by DoD to prevent inadvertent data dissemination 

That would be my guess - no first hand knowledge 

Edited by Clark Griswold
caveat emptor