Chances for ANG UPT

18 minutes ago, pcarros3 said:

I'm scheduled to take the AFOQT again here in the next few weeks. I've been studying a lot, using book such as "AFOQT Secrets, Peterson's, and Barron's. The last time I took this was 2010. For those who scored well on AFOQT, any recommendations on more study material I should look into? I've also downloaded other (older) AFOQT tests to practice.

Peterson's has an online timed practice test. Check it out if you haven't already:

http://www.nelnetsolutions.com/dod/default.aspx?refURL=www.PetersonsDoDLibrary.com&v=af

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Gtseth818 said:

Do some googling and figure out what test version is applicable. I'll give you a hint: a book from 2010 ain't gonna have the correct layout.

Yeah no hidden figures, and something else. Lots of info on this in other threads. I was happy to not see hidden figures on my exam, I could not see those damn things no matter how much I practiced haha

17 hours ago, Gtseth818 said:

Do some googling and figure out what test version is applicable. I'll give you a hint: a book from 2010 ain't gonna have the correct layout.

I know it's the form T and I've been on AF's website, downloaded their study materials, but I wanted to see from other who have taken the AFOQT recently, which study guide really helped them. Thanks for the reply.

Edited by pcarros3
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Edw26 said:

Peterson's has an online timed practice test. Check it out if you haven't already:

http://www.nelnetsolutions.com/dod/default.aspx?refURL=www.PetersonsDoDLibrary.com&v=af

I have and it was much harder than the Barron's or the AFOQT Study guide book I got. I was wondering, from those who have taken the AFOQT recently, which study material prepared them better?

Edited by pcarros3
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, PilotCandidate said:

If I were to retake it I would focus on Barron's primarily; math in particular. I bought 4 books and Barron's was the only one worth the time, IMO.

You can also find 2 free tests here: http://afoqtguide.com/practice-exams/

From what I remember they were fairly accurate. I printed them both out and took them as realistically as possible. 

My scores were P: 95 N: 93 AA: 81 V: 87 Q: 66. Not the best but not too shabby.

Thanks. I've already printed them out. I've taken Barron's Tests, Peterson's Test, AFOQT Study Book Version T Test, and two downloaded online tests as though I was taking the real test. Thanks for the help. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, pcarros3 said:

I have and it was much harder than the Barron's or the AFOQT Study guide book I got. I was wondering, from those who have taken the AFOQT recently, which study material prepared them better?

Dude I been using the Barron practice test and the free ones on afoqtstudyguide.com and I did decent on those but when I took the Peterson ones I did awful. I was going to to take the real test this month but I'm going to postpone it. 

54 minutes ago, pcarros3 said:

Which areas did you do poorly on the first time?

40 minutes ago, tk1313 said:

Thanks TK1313. Those are both good books, and you can actually take the tests online for free at http://www.nelnetsolutions.com. Great testing site, although I can't get the Test Prep app to work. But, the site itself offers great testing and has been harder than the books, when it came to timed testing.

40 minutes ago, Edw26 said:

Which areas did you do poorly on the first time?

Verbal and Quantitative. Although, on the Peterson's test prep, I didn't have enough time to finish the Arithmetic section. I did well with Arithmetic sections using other test prep books (Barron's, AFOQT Test Prep Book, online AFOQT test downloads).

46 minutes ago, pcarros3 said:

Verbal and Quantitative. Although, on the Peterson's test prep, I didn't have enough time to finish the Arithmetic section. I did well with Arithmetic sections using other test prep books (Barron's, AFOQT Test Prep Book, online AFOQT test downloads).

What do you consider well?

• Upvote 1

On 6/3/2017 at 1:46 PM, PilotCandidate said:

If I were to retake it I would focus on Barron's primarily; math in particular. I bought 4 books and Barron's was the only one worth the time, IMO.

You can also find 2 free tests here: http://afoqtguide.com/practice-exams/

From what I remember they were fairly accurate. I printed them both out and took them as realistically as possible. 

My scores were P: 95 N: 93 AA: 81 V: 87 Q: 66. Not the best but not too shabby.

Thanks, yea, I already printed these and took them. I still felt like these were easier than the one on nelnetsolutions.com

2 minutes ago, pcarros3 said:

I got 14 wrong out of 25. I felt like the problems took more of my time than the books. Maybe it's just me.

Oh man you're not the only one. Dude they are harder. Let's just say my feelings got a bit hurt after I finished too. Haha 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, gear3green said:

Oh man you're not the only one. Dude they are harder. Let's just say my feelings got a bit hurt after I finished too. Haha 

It's refreshing to know I am not the only one who thought it was harder.  I wonder what others, who've taken the test, think?

Edited by pcarros3

On 5/23/2017 at 5:57 PM, guzowskienator said:

Ladies & Gents,

Been working on this awhile and finally saw the years ticking away on the calendar (about to be 27) so I got my act together.

Took the AFOQT two weeks ago:

Pilot 98

Nav 99

AA 82

Verb 83

Quant 72

That quantitative score hurt a bit, had several questions not in my study guides. Oh well!

Then last Friday I finished my PPL - luckily passed the first time because apparently a checkride is $650 these days.

TBAS is scheduled for tomorrow. I think I can get to ~80 flying hours before packets are due and hope that is good enough for a decent PCSM.

Finished school in '12 with a BBA in Accounting and Finance. 3.36gpa.

Have been working since graduation, have a ton of family in the military (brother and sister are AD AF pilots), and LoRs from Managers and my CFI (no, I don't know any Generals who can write me one). I feel pretty good but I know the competition is stiff these days.

Anything else I should be working on to boost my chances?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What material did you use to study? Do you have recommendations?

What material did you use to study? Do you have recommendations?

Pcarros, I used a very outdated Barron's which was still pretty good - just ignored the areas that weren't applicable. I think what helped the most is I was wrapping up my private and had just taken the knowledge test a month earlier. If you're a ppl the aviation areas should all be very easy. Otherwise I'd make a ton of flash cards. If there are concepts you don't get then checkout YouTube.

I work full time so I'd come home and study 6-10pm and about 8hrs over the weekend. I think that routine for 6-8 weeks would make anyone prepared.

I I tried that nelnet test awhile back and absolutely bombed it. I can't remember at all if it was similar to the real test

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, guzowskienator said:

Pcarros, I used a very outdated Barron's which was still pretty good - just ignored the areas that weren't applicable. I think what helped the most is I was wrapping up my private and had just taken the knowledge test a month earlier. If you're a ppl the aviation areas should all be very easy. Otherwise I'd make a ton of flash cards. If there are concepts you don't get then checkout YouTube.

I work full time so I'd come home and study 6-10pm and about 8hrs over the weekend. I think that routine for 6-8 weeks would make anyone prepared.

I I tried that nelnet test awhile back and absolutely bombed it. I can't remember at all if it was similar to the real test

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. I have my ppl and obtained it about 1.5 years ago, but my work keeps me sharp on all the aviation knowledge. I'm in the same boat, as I work full time and have to come home and study. I did the same exact thing, regarding the Barron's book, as far as studying and testing in the areas only applicable to the new version T test.

Do you recall if there was specific study material that really prepped you?

2 hours ago, pcarros3 said:

Thanks for the info. I have my ppl and obtained it about 1.5 years ago, but my work keeps me sharp on all the aviation knowledge. I'm in the same boat, as I work full time and have to come home and study. I did the same exact thing, regarding the Barron's book, as far as studying and testing in the areas only applicable to the new version T test.

Do you recall if there was specific study material that really prepped you?

I was also trying to find THE book that would best prepare me, but from my own experience preparing for the test, and from seeing reviews of several materials others used, it seems like most people use a wide variety of materials to prepare. A lot of people seem to use GRE prep books as well. I did and thought it helped quite a bit with math and verbal. Now my math score was pretty bad, but it was more because I ran out of time rather than not knowing how to work the problems. The best advice I got is to do timed tests. Do them over and over and over until you can finish everything within the time allotted. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Kiloalpha said:

The issue with the books is that not all of them are updated for the Form T. At least, none of the good books (ex. Barron's) were at the time I took the test. I just bought the older Barron's book, cut out the sections that weren't relevant anymore... and studied my ass off. Ran a practice test (timed) as a diagnostic, scored those sections and literally studied from the worst score to the best. Between doing that and digesting the AF materials online... I got what I wanted from the experience.

Pilot: 98 Nav: 96 Acad: 83 Verbal: 94 Quant: 60

Keep in mind, I tailored my prep to Pilot/Nav. Quant suffered because there were math sections I never even looked at (because they weren't relevant to my career interests). I haven't once been asked about why it's low, nor has anyone cared.

At the end of the day, you're gonna need to develop a gameplan for this. Not too unlike the planning you'll have to do in UPT, or at various points in your college careers. If you can't figure that out... I can't help you.

I second all of this.

My Barron's study book was published in 2014 so it was not updated for Form T, however, the types of questions for the Math Knowledge section seemed to be the same. For me, the MK section was where I spent the majority of my time studying as I wanted a refresher on several concepts I hadn't done since college or even high school (dividing exponents, volume and area of various shapes, square root stuff, long division, etc...).  

As for the Table Reading (40 questions) and Instrument Comprehension (25 questions I think) sections, there is no reason why you shouldn't get 100% of these questions right. It really comes down to speed. With the IC section, either you know it or you don't. There's really no calculation you can do.  For the TR section I probably timed myself doing the table reading section 5 or 6 times with the actual chart that you will use on the test. I found that I got quicker each time. Honestly, filling in the stupid bubbles on the answer sheet probably took longer than actually finding the number. Work quick. I felt that these two sections were like free points. Make sure to take advantage. 

The Aviation Information section was pretty straightforward. 8 minutes (I think) to answer 20 questions. Again, either you know the answer or you don't. You should have plenty of time to finish this section. 

Let me know if you want me to expand on anything further.

Pilot: 98 Nav: 93 AA: 72 Verbal: 65 Quant: 72

On 6/6/2017 at 7:47 PM, Edw26 said:

I was also trying to find THE book that would best prepare me, but from my own experience preparing for the test, and from seeing reviews of several materials others used, it seems like most people use a wide variety of materials to prepare. A lot of people seem to use GRE prep books as well. I did and thought it helped quite a bit with math and verbal. Now my math score was pretty bad, but it was more because I ran out of time rather than not knowing how to work the problems. The best advice I got is to do timed tests. Do them over and over and over until you can finish everything within the time allotted. 

I heard the same thing and thought it was a lot of help. I downloaded GRE apps and took GRE tests to help me. Recently, I've been trying hard to get back into the general science stuff, more so on the chemistry side, as a lot of the simple question I forgot about, since it's been so long since I've seen it.

1 hour ago, pcarros3 said:

I heard the same thing and thought it was a lot of help. I downloaded GRE apps and took GRE tests to help me. Recently, I've been trying hard to get back into the general science stuff, more so on the chemistry side, as a lot of the simple question I forgot about, since it's been so long since I've seen it.

I'll let somebody else confirm, but I was told by several people that science doesn't really count towards any composite scores.  If you look up what makes up each composite score, science isn't part of any of them.  See if you can confirm that with others and then if true, focus your efforts elsewhere.

http://access.afpc.af.mil/pcsmdmz/Form T/a_AFOQT Pamphlet 2014_20150825.docx

• Upvote 1